Author Topic: If you had to pick just one set of guts.....  (Read 19420 times)

Offline Fowl Mood

• New Forum Member
If you had to pick just one set of guts.....
« on: December 30, 2013, 12:29:04 PM »
There are so many sets of guts between Web Foot and Shell Creek along with several others that I don't even know about yet.  So if you had to make a goose call and could pick a set of guts, what would you use?  I know that lengths and bores will impact how a call sounds and I'm not looking for the answers on that end, just curious to hear what some people's favorites are or least favorites are if anyone is willing to share. 

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
Re: If you had to pick just one set of guts.....
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 12:36:08 PM »
Favorite, or easiest for the end user to master?

I like the original Shell Creeks a lot for me.

Putting a call out for folks that's easy to run, I like shaving down an Echo set. 

Vince
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline Fowl Mood

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 12:42:17 PM »
I'm just looking for opinions on all of it Vince!  I've heard good things about the Shell Creek originals as well so they are on my radar.  I personally haven't done anything with short reeds except for a few SR1's from Web Foot and have not found any combination of barrel and exhaust that I think works well and I am planning to try some stuff moving forward.  What bore are the Echos?  I have toyed with just buying the guts as well, but you can't get any details on the website so I wasn't sure if they were a .619 or a .625.

Offline Chris @ STW Outdoors

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 04:54:36 PM »
This question pops up off and on. It is truly a loaded question. There are so many variables to consider. The end user of your product is what you should keep in mind. I would invest in several different gut sets and start sticking them into your calls. Tune them up and see what does and doesn't work with your call dimensions. Once you find a gut that is close, start monkeying with the call dimensions. Especially the inside bore of your mouthpiece. This will effect your sound and playability the most. Exhaust length will play into this some, but not as much.

Another option is to get a set of guts and start making calls until something works with the gut. I have heard that there is no bad set of guts, only bad tune jobs. Not sure if this is true, because I have had guts that just wont play. However, it could have been my call dimensions causing the problem.

Here is a set of dimensions that are a good starting point for Wade's SR-1 gut. This gut is probably one of the easiest for beginners to play, given a good call dimension. Also, with some tweaking it can be a really nice gut.

Barrel length approx. 3" and exhaust approx. 3" (w/ about 3/4" of tennon for O rings)

Bore your exhaust to 5/8". you will find that the SR-1 is slightly larger than this, but some sand paper will make the gut fit.

Bore your barrel to 5/8" and then back bore that with 7/8" for approx. 1" then 3/4 for 1". This will give you a stepped inside bore dimension in the barrel. This is only a starting point. These lengths will need to be manipulated to get the sound and playability you desire, but it should get you close.

Hope this helps.

Chris
Chris Wright

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 05:46:54 PM »
I'm just looking for opinions on all of it Vince!  I've heard good things about the Shell Creek originals as well so they are on my radar.  I personally haven't done anything with short reeds except for a few SR1's from Web Foot and have not found any combination of barrel and exhaust that I think works well and I am planning to try some stuff moving forward.  What bore are the Echos?  I have toyed with just buying the guts as well, but you can't get any details on the website so I wasn't sure if they were a .619 or a .625.

Wade's SR1's work the same way as the Echos.  His are the larger bore I believe.  The Echo calls are for the smaller bore for sure.

Vince
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline M. Wells

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 09:20:23 PM »
Just my  :2: I love the shell creek but that's my op ion they work great for my dimensions an I agree with everyone here its what you like. Shave the reed a little as you go I think that makes some differens es also. Trust me I am no expert at all these guys know there stuff.
Making Game Calls is a spiritual thing !!

Offline gooseforsupper

• New Forum Member
    • Goose For Supper, Exotic Wood Goose Calls
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 11:03:55 PM »
If I had to pick one set of guts that most people can run it would be Webfoot's SR-1's.  They have a very mild slope to the tone board and are easy to get most of the notes out of.  A broken in set is even better.  For more advanced callers a gut with a sharper angle and deeper tone channel will make even more goose sounds and will be louder. 
My go to hunting call has a set of super broke in SR-1's in it.  Runner up for me are Wade's red SR-11's, they run with my bore dimensions very well.

:2:
Doug

Offline Ulrich's Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 08:59:20 PM »
I love the original shell creek guts as well and most all of my hunting calls have them in.  They are extremely versatile and I have 3 different call lengths that I make, all with different bores and the original shell creek guts run great in all three calls.  It is just a matter of finding the right way to tune up the guts with each call.  I have also found that the SR-1's are excellent as well especially in a beginner call with a longer exhaust, my only suggestion with them is to remove the tuning posts on the back this allows more play in tuning them.

Corey

Offline Bob from Eames Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
  • Eames Custom Calls
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 12:17:02 PM »
Man, that's a tough call. I love the big hollow sound of the Victoria Honkers (Wade's SR1), and Wild Bill's original guts are awesome, but I think I'd have to go with Wade's SR-3. It has better adjustablility and vocabulary for a wider variety of geese (IMO) and has a great crack in a short exhause call.

I have a set that I built a while back that might fit the bill here, but I'm not sure that's what you're after :beer:

Bob
My biggest fear is that I'll die and my wife will sell my callmaking supplies for what I told her they cost.....

Offline Wild Bill

• New Forum Member
    • Shell Creek Game Calls
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 08:30:28 PM »
As a gut designer and builder I still have to say the SR1 Gut Designed and built by Mr. J. Burns is the most versatile gut out there In My Own Opinion. That gut is seriously surprising and forgiving in any combo I throw at it. Surprisingly fast with a good crack. The only issue I find with this gut is tone quality I feel just a tad more low end is needed. Now saying that depending on exhaust design and good hands you can get that in there. Just like all the guts we build they all are different and work well in different barrel and insert lenghth and skill level. So you asked basicaly if you had one choice,,,for ease of use,sound quality and cost you cannot go wrong with MR BURNS SR1 GUT. Sold by many under the same part number SR1

Wild...
I haven't been right in the head since the last migration

Offline Michael @ Foster Calls

• New Forum Member
    • Foster Calls
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 08:34:37 PM »
I really like wades sr-09 guts they fit my 5/8 bore and with a little shaving on the reed I can get a mean low end and a nice high fast end that I really love and can control really well, I have also heard a lot of good things about shell creeks ice guts so I will have to try a set of those some time soon!

Offline Mann Lock @ Hollow Wing Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 02:12:23 PM »
Shell Creek, originals

Offline Joe aka COLD @ J. A. Kolter Calls

• New Forum Member
    • www.jakoltercalls.com
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2014, 03:52:25 PM »
This question pops up off and on. It is truly a loaded question. There are so many variables to consider. The end user of your product is what you should keep in mind. I would invest in several different gut sets and start sticking them into your calls. Tune them up and see what does and doesn't work with your call dimensions. Once you find a gut that is close, start monkeying with the call dimensions. Especially the inside bore of your mouthpiece. This will effect your sound and playability the most. Exhaust length will play into this some, but not as much.

Another option is to get a set of guts and start making calls until something works with the gut. I have heard that there is no bad set of guts, only bad tune jobs. Not sure if this is true, because I have had guts that just wont play. However, it could have been my call dimensions causing the problem.

Here is a set of dimensions that are a good starting point for Wade's SR-1 gut. This gut is probably one of the easiest for beginners to play, given a good call dimension. Also, with some tweaking it can be a really nice gut.

Barrel length approx. 3" and exhaust approx. 3" (w/ about 3/4" of tennon for O rings)

Bore your exhaust to 5/8". you will find that the SR-1 is slightly larger than this, but some sand paper will make the gut fit.

Bore your barrel to 5/8" and then back bore that with 7/8" for approx. 1" then 3/4 for 1". This will give you a stepped inside bore dimension in the barrel. This is only a starting point. These lengths will need to be manipulated to get the sound and playability you desire, but it should get you close.

Hope this helps.

Chris
This is a good start with great descriptive information for folks.   Very close to my actual short-reed dimensions.
So Chris, are you saying the overall length of the call assembled is 6 inches?  Just to clear it up for me.
My barrels are step bored per your recommendations, but my exhaust end piece is less than 2.5".
J. A. KOLTER CALLS
"Lifetime custom made hunting calls for a reasonable price".

Offline Jeff @ Mutt Calls

• New Forum Member
  • MUTT Game Calls
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2014, 08:02:16 AM »
Nothing but Wades SR-11 for me.  Love them!!!

Mutt
For it is in the Woods, Fields, & Marshes that Retrievers make thier own legends... and become our heroes!

muttcalls@gmail

Offline Jess Warner

• New Forum Member
  • Migrator Calls
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2014, 07:56:24 PM »
Nothing but Wades SR-11 for me.  Love them!!!

That goes double for me! I paired them with a KD10 reed from Shell Creek and I think I hit the jackpot when it comes to my own hunting calls
Jesse Warner

Northern New York

The Anser is in the Call

My only goal is to have honkers fall to a call I created