Author Topic: O ring/tenon/coupling discussion  (Read 2201 times)

Offline Matt Martin

• New Forum Member
O ring/tenon/coupling discussion
« on: December 29, 2013, 06:21:49 PM »
Aight.....So I have done a few grunters.  Trying to get it going.  I've given 2 to guys to go hunt with and get some feedback.

Here's where I want to see some thoughts.  Both of these I drilled a 5/8 bore through both pieces.  In the exhaust I have a 5/8 piece of delrin rod drilled to accept the JC reed.  I glued the rod in the exhaust and the reed in the rod.  What I didn't do is add an O-ring to the delrin rod as it was a pretty snug fit.  I might add that the call is made of black locust so I expect minimal movement in the wood.  Here is the call....

So what I am wondering from you guys with more experience.....do you think that an o-ring is necessary when using the delrin rod?  The other call is a cherry.  Will it move enough to become loose where the barrel slides over the rod?  Will the wood wear out on the delrin rod as it might on wood/wood connections?

I have worked on another style that more resembles a duck call with an insert (JC reed in the JC bushings).  Basically the style that you get with the JC instructions. This one I know needs o-rings.  Is there a style that would be more preferable?