Author Topic: Sharpie Shaw call  (Read 3419 times)

Offline FDR

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
Sharpie Shaw call
« on: December 21, 2013, 04:20:48 PM »
I had an opportunity to handle a "Sharpie Shaw" original Reelfoot call while duck hunting at Reelfoot lake yesterday. I was not able to get a picture but I was able to disassemble the call and compare the construction to my baseline design. My impressions were:
The call barrel was Walnut and about 5.5 inches long. The barrel bore was 3/4 inch and straight through.
The insert and wedge were mahogany and approximately 4 inches long.
The tone channel was tapered toward the wedge and slightly wider than the 1/4 inch width I use. The tone channel length was approximately 2.2 inches.
The exhaust is some larger than most of us presently use.
The original reed was missing from the call so I removed the tuned reed from my hunting call and installed it in the Shaw. It blew perfectly and the sound was amazing with a full range of capability including the famous Reelfoot "high ball".

I really enjoyed getting to briefly examine/study what is evidentally a very rare call.

FYI the hunt was cut short by the storm system (Gemini) that is passing through the area but we did get to work and shoot a few ducks on Friday.  We always have a great hunt experience with Jamie Hamilton. The new blind is unbelievably comfortable and Jamie is very knowledge about the development of the Reelfoot call.

Fred
Fred Roe
Reelfoot, the original duck call. What's on your lanyard?

Offline Henry H

• New Forum Member
    • HH Reelfoot Call Journal
Re: Sharpie Shaw call
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 07:51:25 PM »
Very cool... thanks for sharing, Fred!