Author Topic: Pot call with a snuff can lid  (Read 7184 times)

Offline Roger Smith

• New Forum Member
    • Overtrim Wood Works
Pot call with a snuff can lid
« on: December 21, 2013, 12:54:32 AM »
I have been asked to make a slate call and put the lid from a snuff can on the back.  Anyone care to share some ideas for this?

Thanks,
Roger
Nothing is impossible, it only takes more time.

If you attempt to please everyone, then you will be special to no one.

"If you're not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original."  Sir Ken Robinson

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
Re: Pot call with a snuff can lid
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 01:07:34 AM »
Stuff that has been done A LOT by a few guys over on CCO like 6-8 years ago.  You may be able to find something about them there if no one here knows.  It was a BIG deal then, and I've seen it fade away....at least on internet photos shared.

I THINK you are just wanting to use it as your sound board, and have a large opening on the bottom of your call.  Kind of a two-sided call....that can only be played on the one big side. 

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline Marshall's Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 01:28:13 AM »
Hey Roger, can I ask you what method you are using to make your calls??? I use an expanding mandrel through a center hole, but what I would do is I would measure the outside diameter of the snuff can lid, and then cut a 'hole' that diameter and the same depth of the lid into the back of my pot call. Then, I would glue it in and finish over top of it. Also, you can measure the diameter of the lid and plan your sound holes around the snuff can lid.
David Marshall, of Marshall's Custom Calls

Offline Roger Smith

• New Forum Member
    • Overtrim Wood Works
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 01:51:35 AM »
Hey Roger, can I ask you what method you are using to make your calls??? I use an expanding mandrel through a center hole, but what I would do is I would measure the outside diameter of the snuff can lid, and then cut a 'hole' that diameter and the same depth of the lid into the back of my pot call. Then, I would glue it in and finish over top of it. Also, you can measure the diameter of the lid and plan your sound holes around the snuff can lid.

David, I drill a 3/4 inch hole within 3/8 inch of the bottom of the pot.  Then I finish drill through the pot with a 1/2 bit.  I have a 1/2 threaded stud mounted in a collect chuck.  I mount the pot bottom side first on the bolt.  I place a short spacer made from a piece of 1/2 water plastic water pipe and tighten the nut down from there.  I have been using the center 1 inch as a pedestal to mount the sound board. 

I look at a tutorial on the CCO site and he leads a large hole in the center of his pedestal.  I think if I follow that design, then I can complete the project.  Now, just find a snuff can.  I haven't had snuff, tobacco or alcohol in the last 45 years.

Thanks for your input.

"If you're not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original."  Sir Ken Robinson

Offline Scott Ashburn

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 03:14:27 PM »
I have been asked to make a slate call and put the lid from a snuff can on the back.  Anyone care to share some ideas for this?

Thanks,
Roger

Here's something I did on a couple of pots with some Hand Made Decorative Brass.  You can do something like this.  Take the lip off of the can, and machine the cavity to fit the lid.  Wouldn't be maybe .020 deep.  Put the sound holes in the side.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 03:16:04 PM by Scott Ashburn »

Offline Roger Smith

• New Forum Member
    • Overtrim Wood Works
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 05:20:09 PM »
Thanks to everyone for your help.  I have completed the first two calls.

I tried to embed some images of the process, but there seems to be a problem between Flickr and this site.

The blank was prepped by drilling a 15/32 hole and tapping it with a 1/2 13TPI tap.  The sound holes was drilled with a .410 bit on a 3.1 diameter.

IMG_0145-2.jpg by Overtrim, on Flickr

The blank was mounted on a 1/2 bolt in a collet chuck.  The first land for the friction glass was turned 0.125 deep with a 3.5 inches.  The second land for the sounding glass was turned 0.140 deep with a diameter of 2.960.  The inner recess for the snuff lid was turned 0.290 deep with a diameter of 2.585.  This allows the lid to be embedded without removing any of the material.

IMG_0149-2.jpg by Overtrim, on Flickr

The blank was reversed and the center turned out in a diameter of 2.450.  This allows the gold on the out rim to be visible.

IMG_0151-2.jpg by Overtrim, on Flickr

The back and rim was finished.  One soaking in wipe-on poly (interior and exterior).  Another 3 coats of wipe-on poly on the exterior.

IMG_0152-2.jpg by Overtrim, on Flickr

IMG_0144-2.jpg by Overtrim, on Flickr

The lid and glass glued in.  One is mesquite and the other is maple. 
[
IMG_0154-2 by Overtrim, on Flickr
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 07:48:47 PM by Roger Smith »

Offline TT

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 05:53:15 PM »
Scott I was wondering if you explain how you put the holes on the side?
TT

Offline Scott Ashburn

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 06:07:01 PM »
Scott I was wondering if you explain how you put the holes on the side?
TT

I've got a jig that I made, with indexing marks on it.  I mark the blank to be drilled at 60 degree intervals,  I clamp the jig to the table of my shopsmith, and bore the holes with a rotobroatch, matching the indexing lines from the call to the jig.
Shopsmith is set up as a drill press during this op.

Offline TT

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2014, 08:54:08 PM »
Thank you
TT