Author Topic: What I might be calling La Muerta Verde  (Read 2511 times)

Offline wlain

• New Forum Member
What I might be calling La Muerta Verde
« on: December 16, 2013, 03:22:07 PM »
I snapped this with an Iphone while in the blind the other day.  There truly is no feeling in the workd like taking raw materials, making a duck call and plopping a big old fat mallard in the decoys with it.  Nothing I tell you!  La Muerta Verde.  For you northern boys the english translation is green death.

Offline M. Wells

• New Forum Member
Re: What I might be calling La Muerta Verde
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 06:45:09 PM »
I hear you man very nice  :bigup:
Making Game Calls is a spiritual thing !!

Offline Ulrich's Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 07:36:06 PM »
Nice looking call. It really is hard to beat calling in a flock of greenheads with one of your own calls.

Offline wlain

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 10:39:28 AM »
UCC thank you for the compliment.  I can't tell people who have never done it before, how exciting it is to succeed.  There is a whole lot that has transpired from day one until now.  Late nights, meetings, bank inquiries, drawings, estimates, quotes, marketing meetings ect.  It is nice to just sit in a freakin duck blind without a telephone with my wife and/or my brother and kill a duck with my call.  This is my wife on the opening morning last year.  I hunted public for 40 seasons.  It is nice to drive my Ranger up behind the blind, park, walk the boardwalk to the rear door of the blind and turn the lights on.  Turn the purcolator coffee pot on and start some bacon.  If you aint never fried a biquit in bacon fat in a black iron skillet, you aint lived a full day on this earth my man.  I feel very much like a human being in the duck blind.  I built this blind out of a 16 foot flatbed trailer.  I aint never leaving another blind behind.  The front and top are so covered with cut tree limbs the birds never see us.

This was on the way to the lease.  Don't think I didn't get looked at by others and the highway patrol.  I was legal and headed north, nothing stopping me.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 10:42:54 AM by wlain »

Offline Prairie Game Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Prairie Calls
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 11:25:05 AM »
Man nice rig you made there :bigup:

Larry
July Winner Of the Call Makers Throw Down!!
Listed in Earl Mickels Last Book
Silver Life Member NWTF

Offline wlain

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 02:34:00 PM »
Well thank you!  I wish I had pics of the kitchen in it.  Now it has a board walk all the way to the entry/exit door because the water is near up to the the axles on the trailer.  We wouldn't want to get out house slippers wet :)  Here is a view of the pond.  It is full of smartweed.  This pic is shortley after flooding the pond.  The water is 60 yards wide across the pond, 90 yards to the left and 90 to the right.  All of it knee deep and full of duck groceries.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 02:35:45 PM by wlain »

Offline Ulrich's Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 04:57:00 PM »
Looks like an awesome setup. The blinds I am used to are either a pile of brush, a boat or the blind my buddy has on the river that is just big enough to get four people inside.

Offline wlain

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013, 09:41:42 AM »
Looks like an awesome setup. The blinds I am used to are either a pile of brush, a boat or the blind my buddy has on the river that is just big enough to get four people inside.

I got real lucky with this place.  I hunted the 1500 acres next to this place since I was a kid.  The place I am on is 1600 acres and it joins the other place on one side.  That hole we are hunting is an abandoned beaver pond.  It took a long time to figure out the lay of the land there.  Essentially the beavers dqamned up a spring fed creek.  Over time their pond silted in and they moved down streem to start over.  That pond silted in and be it such a long flat, heavy rains came and the water had to go somewhere.  It altered the course of the creek.  The bevers damned it up on the other side of the trees in the picture. and that pond is still very active with beavers.

So I dug a canal in the silt where the creek changed it course.  I put water control pipes in and back filled over them.  Free water.  It flows well enough for 2 seven inch pipes to be blowing water.  So a month before season, we let her rip.  End of season we open the other end and let the water go.  THe water still flows to the beavers.  That is essential to keep them from coming to see why they have no water.  No water/angry beaver/beaver plays havoc on your operation.  We live very harmoniously as it stands right now.  I intended to cut back some sycamores in my pond.  The beavers have done my work for me.  Plus if my dam gives way they will fix it overnight.  I love the little buggers.

I also got lucky in the fact I have a cabin on it as well.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 09:53:39 AM by wlain »

Offline wlain

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2013, 09:55:36 AM »
It has been a nice place for researching the calls.  There is a great big holly tree that is as straight as an arrow.  I am going to cut it one day for the call material.  There are some bois-de-arcs as well.