Author Topic: CA Finish on the interior of the barrel.  (Read 12677 times)

Offline Joe aka COLD @ J. A. Kolter Calls

• New Forum Member
    • www.jakoltercalls.com
Re: CA Finish on the interior of the barrel.
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2013, 09:37:30 AM »
I know Joe. The last comment was meant to be a joke. No hard feelings here. But on a serious not, what do y'all think about palm. I have never heard a call made out of palm. My goal is to make a call I can hunt with before mid November but I am addicted to the look of palm. I am not using it on the tone board because the black specks peal off.
I make a few palm barrels for duck calls every year.  I turn both the red and the black and also like it because if its speckled appearance.  After final sanding on the lathe I then apply a oil based paste wood filler, red/brown for the red palm, and a black for the black palm.  After a day or so I can then apply my top coat.  I then stick in a cocobolo insert in the red palm barrels, and ebony in the black palm barrels.
J. A. KOLTER CALLS
"Lifetime custom made hunting calls for a reasonable price".

• New Forum Member
    • www.jakoltercalls.com
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2013, 10:04:46 AM »
I guess I should detail out further information regarding my negative statement about interior call finishing.
Not finished call inside bores all depends on several things kinda like everything else in call making.
Certain wood species clearly do not need an interior seal or finish (depending on the exterior finish applied). Woods that are dense and oily or have a silicate base (and there are a lot of them I use).  The exterior finish I use are not hard based or brittle, as I use a brushed on lacquer or an oil rub finish.  When I apply the lacquer to my call I always run the 1/2" china bristle brush heavily deep into the interior hole which seals the lower portion of the hole in the barrel.  The top portion of the barrel where I friction fit my inserts has no finish,
With two lacquered surfaces of both the barrel and the tone board they would clearly get stuck together.
My laminated call barrels are sealed with an epoxy glue coating to protect the glue joints.  When I finish a oil rubbed call I also seal the inside holes with the oil as well.  So technically I seal one half of most of my calls, glue coat my laminates, and fully seal coat my oil finished calls.  And I like what was said, just because I have been doing this for a long time does not make me right.  I to am anal about this call making and changing all the time.  I'm hoping its for the better.
J. A. KOLTER CALLS

Offline J. James

• New Forum Member
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2013, 10:11:16 AM »
The one thing I have tot iced about Putting a CA finish on the interior of the barrel and the exterior of the insert is that it is very difficult to friction fit. My insert just falls out???

• New Forum Member
    • www.jakoltercalls.com
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2013, 10:24:09 AM »
The one thing I have tot iced about Putting a CA finish on the interior of the barrel and the exterior of the insert is that it is very difficult to friction fit. My insert just falls out???
You can fix that going new school and use an o-ring.  You would need to add the o-ring groove before cutting out the tone board.   (or)  It sounds like you need a somewhat better taper on your tone board.  Try to turn your tone boards trial fitting them into your barrel so they stick out farther than you want them to seat into the barrel.  I usually fit all my friction fit inserts with a little custom sanding in the barrels using a dowel wrapped with sandpaper. 
J. A. KOLTER CALLS

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2013, 01:56:29 PM »

I would use an oil finish, you lose a lot of the classic look when you add the O rings.  It is a rare occasion that I use an O ring, I hate the look, I think it makes the call look "machine" made.   I also think you lose that resonance that is created with the wood to wood contact.  It is like adding electronics to a Stradivarius

For acrylics, I careless, no acrylic will ever match a wood call, they aren't designed that way.  Plastic is plastic, it will never sound like a call made from wood.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.