Author Topic: CA Finish on the interior of the barrel.  (Read 12678 times)

Offline J. James

• New Forum Member
CA Finish on the interior of the barrel.
« on: October 31, 2013, 08:21:54 PM »
New to the forum and the call making game.  I have began to CA finish my calls but I don't understand how to seal the inside of the barrel???  Can I dip the barrel in teak oil prior to putting the CA finish on?  I mostly turn cocobolo and have been told it needs to be completely sealed or it could be harmful.

Offline FDR

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
Re: CA Finish on the interior of the barrel.
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 09:14:46 PM »
I use Teak Oil to seal my cocobolo calls. Follow the directions on the can. I dip 2-3 times and let dry between dips.
You can apply CA over the teak oil once it is dry. I have and it works well.
Fred Roe
Reelfoot, the original duck call. What's on your lanyard?

Offline Rick Howard

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 09:48:01 PM »
You can use a q-tip to get inside the barrel with the CA
In life or anything worth partaking, if you have stopped trying to improve you have quit.

Offline jcz

• New Forum Member
  • You want some??
    • Trophygamecalls
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 09:53:04 PM »
I finish the inside of my barrels with CA. I use a small dowel rod with a paper towel strip wrapped around it. Put a few drops of ca on it and run it around the inside while the lathe is spinning. I use the slowest speed on the lathe. Finish one side with 3-4 coats and flip it around and do the other side.
August Call Makers Throwdown Winner
http://www.trophygamecalls.embarqspace.com/

Offline J. James

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 10:19:54 PM »
Thanks guys. I don't mean to beat a dead horse but what about the tone board channel?  I know most people don't finish them but I have been told it's a must when dealing with exotic woods???

Offline jcz

• New Forum Member
  • You want some??
    • Trophygamecalls
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 11:49:20 PM »
Same as I stated above. Only difference is I use a rat tail file with the paper towel wrapped around it.
August Call Makers Throwdown Winner
http://www.trophygamecalls.embarqspace.com/

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 12:33:40 AM »
I wouldn't say it is a "must" due to the potential toxicity of the wood.  If it were, you'd see Echo and RNT doing it, and their tone channels and tone boards are bare wood.  Some folks do react to certain woods and i suppose simple contact could present a problem for extreme cases, but the dust is the most dangerous part for most.  I oil the inside of my barrels as well as my tone boards and tone channels to ensure that the wood is protected from the constant barrage of moisture it'll be exposed to in use.  Some don't, and don't suffer any ill effects performance wise, but I think it is a simple step in an effort to turn out a thoroughly finished product.

I don't CA inside the barrel, and oil the inside of my barrels after applying CA. 

Offline J. James

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2013, 07:53:24 AM »
Do you dip the call in oil after the CA finish is applied?

Offline Joe aka COLD @ J. A. Kolter Calls

• New Forum Member
    • www.jakoltercalls.com
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2013, 12:23:31 PM »
Here we go again.  I do not apply any finish on the interior bored holes of my call, nor on the tops of the tone board either.  Only exception is the turkey yelper or trumpet which is a suction call.  Haven't done it for 34 years and don't plan on doing ever.  Just because other call makers insist on doing it doesn't mean its necessary.
J. A. KOLTER CALLS
"Lifetime custom made hunting calls for a reasonable price".

Offline J. James

• New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2013, 12:32:23 PM »
I realize not everyone finishes the interior of the call but I personally would rather seal it to provide some protection against the elements. I also think some woods produce an unpleasant smell when you put the call to your mouth if the interior of the barrel is not sealed with something.

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2013, 12:48:13 PM »
Joe it's not an argument or a matter of right and wrong.  It is a simple difference of opinion and as long as the end user is happy that is all that matters.  If we all did it the same it wouldn't warrant discussion.

Offline FDR

• New Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2013, 12:49:50 PM »
Teak oil also works to seal the insert. Again, dip and let dry 2-3 times. Then use CA or whatever on the exhaust (visible ) portion of the insert. I do not apply any additional finish to the tone channel or tone board surface, just the teak oil.
Fred Roe
Reelfoot, the original duck call. What's on your lanyard?

• New Forum Member
    • www.jakoltercalls.com
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2013, 01:19:47 PM »
Joe it's not an argument or a matter of right and wrong.  It is a simple difference of opinion and as long as the end user is happy that is all that matters.  If we all did it the same it wouldn't warrant discussion.
I understand Aaron.  I must be getting bored as I am just tired about reading new postings regarding this subject when (in my opinion) I don't feel its necessary.  I'd rather a new call maker not think it is necessary to finish or seal these parts of a call than to be swayed by other opinions.
J. A. KOLTER CALLS

Offline J. James

• New Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2013, 02:00:56 PM »
Joe, sorry to "bore" you with these questions. The great thing about this forum is that the subject is posted on the main board. If you don't like the subject, don't "bore" yourself by opening and reading it. There are several advantages to finishing the inside of the barrel. First off, as a custom call maker, I think it looks bad when someone looks at the mouth piece and can clearly see where the finish ends. It just seams lazy to me. There is also the additional layer of protection. You can't tell me that a call being used 60 days out of the year standing in waste deep water will last just as long if it is not completely sealed. Wood swells when moisture hits it, and that's a fact. I think I speak for all new comers to this sight when I say- don't leave a comment if your fist words are " here we go again"

• New Forum Member
    • www.jakoltercalls.com
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2013, 02:47:43 PM »
Joe, sorry to "bore" you with these questions. The great thing about this forum is that the subject is posted on the main board. If you don't like the subject, don't "bore" yourself by opening and reading it. There are several advantages to finishing the inside of the barrel. First off, as a custom call maker, I think it looks bad when someone looks at the mouth piece and can clearly see where the finish ends. It just seams lazy to me. There is also the additional layer of protection. You can't tell me that a call being used 60 days out of the year standing in waste deep water will last just as long if it is not completely sealed. Wood swells when moisture hits it, and that's a fact. I think I speak for all new comers to this sight when I say- don't leave a comment if your fist words are " here we go again"
I'm clearly not directing any nasty comments at anyone, including you.  And, your likely right that I should have not even opened up another post regarding this subject matter as it gave me yet another negative thought. 
I do not think it is a bad idea to seal or finish the interior bore of a call to further guarantee a custom call's life.  Not to create any friction here but I don't do well when I am told not to do something.  The word bore was a reply to a friend and not you, and I can say anything I like in beginning a reply as long as it does violate to rules of this site.
Since you are new and asking good questions, let us just start all over.  I am here to help other's with any knowledge I may have and will help you if I can as well. 
J. A. KOLTER CALLS