Author Topic: Barrel length  (Read 5923 times)

Offline Steve Parks

• New Forum Member
Barrel length
« on: October 20, 2013, 04:05:30 PM »
I was playing around turning a crow call and modifying it the Latte method. When I got done it sounded like one of those party roll out noise makers. If it sounded like a crow it was a very sick crow. I think part of the problem is the length. So, I'm wondering what is the normal length of the barrel? Another question is should I step drill the barrel? Make the 5/8s hole for the reed only as deep as the reed and the rest maybe 3/4-7/8?

Thanks,
Steve

Offline jcz

• New Forum Member
  • You want some??
    • Trophygamecalls
Re: Barrel length
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 05:39:35 PM »
How tight does the toneboard fit? My guess is it is too loose. I don't make a lot of crow calls but I use a 3'' to 3 1/2'' block and drill it straight through with a 5/8'' bit. All of my calls have come out sounding decent.

Also remember these are bite reeds. You have to bite down on them for them to sound right.
August Call Makers Throwdown Winner
http://www.trophygamecalls.embarqspace.com/

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 06:55:42 PM »
Lots of things could be going on.  In addition to what jcz is saying.....I would look at......

Adding back pressure with your hands cupped around the end of the call.....crow calls don't just play themselves by blowing on them (Not trying to be blunt, just comparing them to short reed goose calls and the likes)

You may have cut too far into the toneboards to where they are causing problems for the reed?  Either cut the reed, or the o-ring is sitting on the reed. 

The exhaust ends of the toneboard are not being held tightly together in the barrel.

Your barrel is too short.  I like 3 1/2" for a starting point, and longer from there.

Plastic guts are never going to sound as good as a nice set of wood guts.....though that cazoo sound will still help make a turkey gobble.

That's some of my thoughts on it.  I hope you end up with what you're looking for when you get done playing with them!  I enjoy making them to make turkeys gobble.  :)

Vince
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline Steve Parks

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 04:48:45 PM »
As far as making the tone boards I think I can do but don't I still have to buy the plastic reed from a supplier?

Bill@AeroCustoms

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 09:12:55 PM »
As far as making the tone boards I think I can do but don't I still have to buy the plastic reed from a supplier?

Find the tutorial about making your own wood guts, you can buy the Mylar from several places.  They are not hard to make, and after you have made a few sets you will wonder why you didn't start making them sooner.  You will probably even come up with your own method of making them, and soon be making them in 1/2" size boards.   

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline Steve Parks

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2013, 07:03:04 PM »
Thanks for the help guys!  :up1: