Author Topic: Thread Wrapping an Insert Tennon  (Read 1871 times)

Offline Ulrich's Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
Thread Wrapping an Insert Tennon
« on: October 12, 2013, 08:04:22 PM »
Today I was working in the shop cutting some goose call blanks and ripping some boards for a fly tying bench I am going to build for my new hobby of fly tying, when I had one of those moments where the light bulb turns on in your head and your thinking why didn't I think of that sooner.   I know some people make a groove on there wood goose call insert tennons and then wrap thread in the groove and soak it in CA.  I do this sometimes on my goose calls and had done it on all the deer grunts I have made to help prevent splitting of the wood from the pressure of the guts. So back to the light bulb moment, the thread used for fly tying is held by a bobbin and makes wrapping the thread very easy.  I am not sure if anyone else has ever done this before, but using the same bobbin to wrap the thread in the groove on a goose call insert will make the thread wrapping easier, cleaner and tighter than me previously wrapping by holding the spool.  Next time I do the thread wrap I will try to take some pictures using the bobbin.  Hope this idea helps some people out if you haven't already been using a bobbin.

Corey

Offline Cold Front Calls

• New Forum Member
  • "Hunt the Front"
Re: Thread Wrapping an Insert Tennon
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 09:36:09 PM »
GOOOOOOOD Idea Cory!!!  Im going to have to dig out the fly tying goods and look for my Bobbin.  Then figure out how to hold the spool of 10lb braided fishing line as I do that :stickman1:

Randy
"Hunt the Front"

Offline Ulrich's Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 09:49:12 PM »
I think the fly tying thread would work well for the thread as well. Randy you could just find and empty thread spool and fill it up with your 10 lb braided line and use that.

Offline Cold Front Calls

• New Forum Member
  • "Hunt the Front"
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 10:45:36 PM »
Good Point :bow: :bow: Why didnt I think of that..... Duhhhhh :taz: :taz:

:bigup:
"Hunt the Front"

Callen

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 11:26:33 PM »
That's a good idea Corey. Had to look up what a bobbin was haha. It just creates tension in the line right? I believe I made a redneck version when I thread wrapped some wingbone calls. I put a bolt through the spool, put the head of the bolt in a vice, and put a nut on tight enough to keep pressure. Worked like a charm.
Cody