Author Topic: Homebrew Goose Guts  (Read 14242 times)

Offline Bob from Eames Custom Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • Custom Call Maker
  • Eames Custom Calls
Re: Homebrew Goose Guts
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2013, 01:31:47 PM »
Thanks Joe, I feel the same way. Not to say that there's anything better about them, but the satisfaction you get from building one by hand is amazing. I truely love being able to say that I built everything on the call but the mylar reed :beer:

Bob
My biggest fear is that I'll die and my wife will sell my callmaking supplies for what I told her they cost.....

Offline Jon @ JRwoods

• THO Recommended Advertiser
  • Custom Call Maker
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2013, 05:03:08 PM »
When i make short reed guts out of wood they usually split with the grain.  Some take longer than others.  I tend to tune guts to death, a few have broken while putting them back together one to many times.  A set I was real happy with was magically cracked the next time I picked it up.  I'm guessing moisture got to it.  I've been using hedge and putting a light coat of blo on them. 
Any ideas on better woods or finishes to make them hold up a little better?
Formerly Highlooker.
"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native criminal class except congress."~Mark Twain

• Custom Call Maker
  • Eames Custom Calls
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2013, 05:30:12 PM »
I do the same thing Jon. I hand rub in a thick coat of BLO and let it sit for a good hour before wiping them off. I'll let them sit a couple of days and then I'll wipe on a couple of coats of CA. I usually don't sand anything after that but the mating surfaces, and then just a couple of swipes across a chnk of 800 grit just to keep the surfaces true.

I've had great luck using Cocobolo, Blackwood, Bocote and Red Cedar without cracking issues, but I always tell my customers that cracks are a possibility with wood guts. Hedge can be crack prone, but the tone out of those guts is nothing short of amazing. Drying a call between hunts definitely helps extend the life of theses guts.

Bob
My biggest fear is that I'll die and my wife will sell my callmaking supplies for what I told her they cost.....

• Custom Call Maker
  • Eames Custom Calls
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2013, 06:05:47 PM »
Marvin conerverted this to a very nice PDF file, so anyone who would like a copy in PDF format just needs to email or PM me with thier email address and I'll be happy to send it out.

Thanks Marvin!

Bob

Offline Cold Front Calls

• Custom Call Maker
  • "Hunt the Front"
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2013, 10:50:07 PM »
Bob, That is GREAT stuff!!! I would like a copy of that PDF...please :bow: :bow:

My email address is randy@coldfrontcalls.com

Thanks Bob!!

Randy
"Hunt the Front"

Offline dogcatcher

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2013, 11:54:31 PM »
One thing to consider trying is to turn one day let the blank rest, then drill the next day.  Let the blank rest and then start cutting sanding etc..  You won't have many of these split or crack if you do it all at once, but letting the wood "relax" from the internal stresses that were messed with when turning and drilling will help keep those to nil and none.   

Pool cue builders wait weeks before they move on to the next step so the wood can "acclimate" to the missing wood.  This is where I picked up that habit, not sure if it matters that much, but I don't have problems and I like to keep it that way. 

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline Jon @ JRwoods

• THO Recommended Advertiser
  • Custom Call Maker
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2013, 05:31:42 PM »
Sounds like a good idea.  I usually let my blanks rest after drilling them.  It won't hurt to apply the same thing to gut building. 
Formerly Highlooker.
"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native criminal class except congress."~Mark Twain

Offline M. Wells

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2013, 12:35:08 AM »
Thanks so much Bob know what I will be trying soon!!!  :bigup:
Making Game Calls is a spiritual thing !!

• Custom Call Maker
  • Eames Custom Calls
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2013, 01:30:52 AM »
Hey Guys,

I've had a huge number of people email me for the PDF, and I've tried to get it to everyone who asked. If I missed ya, hit me again. Sometimes I get to rolling on things and forget where I am.... :stickman1:

Bob

Offline Ron Davis

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2013, 08:44:13 AM »
Hey Guys,

I've had a huge number of people email me for the PDF, and I've tried to get it to everyone who asked. If I missed ya, hit me again. Sometimes I get to rolling on things and forget where I am.... :stickman1:

Bob

Bob I got mine and thanks again. Marvin thanks for putting the PDF file together     :thanks: :thanks: To share what you guy did is awsome.

Man I love this site  great Info from Great people   :bow: :bow: :bow:

Heres to THO   :beer: :beer: better make the 3  :beer:

Thanks again Ron
Ron

Offline Joe Short

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2013, 09:15:33 AM »
I'm with Ron! Thank you both very much!
"We have a lot of great call makers in NC. Maybe more call makers than ducks." - JCZ

Offline Andrew-Brown

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2013, 08:43:15 PM »
This is beyond great and should be a STICKY on the tutorials section!

Offline wlain

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2014, 11:47:59 AM »
Dang it!!!!  I wish I would have found this two months ago.  I just went through and figured all that out on my own.  Very nice tutorial Sir!

Offline Henry H

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
    • HH Reelfoot Call Journal
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2014, 11:08:48 PM »
Thanks, Bob.  I'm curious... did/do goose callmakeds ever use metal reeds?  Fred got me addicted to making reelfoot calls, and my dad has asked me to learn how make him a goose call (never done it).  I'm attracted to the idea of making my own guts, and wondering whether a bronze or nickel silver reed is functional.

• Custom Call Maker
  • Eames Custom Calls
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2014, 04:38:51 PM »
Thanks, Bob.  I'm curious... did/do goose callmakeds ever use metal reeds?  Fred got me addicted to making reelfoot calls, and my dad has asked me to learn how make him a goose call (never done it).  I'm attracted to the idea of making my own guts, and wondering whether a bronze or nickel silver reed is functional.

I have a Speck call I got a few years ago that has a very thin metal reed (Brass), but other than that one everything has been mylar. I have played around with various thicknesses of different materials, but never found anything I liked better of this than the .014 Mylar. Absolutely play around with it, and if you get something that works, share it with us!

Good luck,

Bob