Author Topic: Homebrew Goose Guts  (Read 11507 times)

Offline Bob from Eames Custom Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • Custom Call Maker
  • Eames Custom Calls
Homebrew Goose Guts
« on: October 09, 2013, 12:51:18 AM »
 I've had a few emails over the last few months about developing a goose gut from scratch, and I thought I'd throw up a few pictures to help out. I had a call due that I wanted to make old school, something that would fit in to a vintage call collection but be just as effective in the field as any hunting call. I turned a nice hedge insert and applied an antiquing stain and some BLO and I was ready for a set of guts. I know that the customer hunts a ton of honkers, so I decided a set of handmade hedge guts would fit the bill. Here's how they were made:

I found an old hedge duck call insert that I'd screwed up, and decided that it would be perfect for this gut set. I turned the piece down to .625 and sanded to 400 grit.

I then decided on my hinge point. I like to mark the hinge point with a burned line, it just makes tuning so much easier.

I spun it around and center drilled the starting hole. This is extremely important in woods with very pronounced grain if you want to have a centered hole.

I really like a 7/16" tone channel for honkers, so I set my depth with a chunk of tape and slowly drilled the hole to depth.

After the majority of the depth is cut, I come back with a 7/16" 2 flute end mill. I cut the tone channel end by hand, just feeding the endmill in very slowly while turning the lathe over by hand. I found out the hard way a few times that the slowest speed on my mini lathe was too fast for this. You just want to cut the end round and to the end depth, leaving the end as smooth as possible.

Now I'll spin the blank around in the collet chuck and round the end. I sand this down to 400 grit and prepare it for a finish.

Now I draw a couple of lines down the sides to give me about a .400" thickness in my gut. This line just gives me a rough guide to base my shaping on before I fine tune the size.

Now I take my gut to the belt sander and sand it down evenly close to the lines I've drawn. Err on the side of caution here, too much off will leave you too thin and can really affect your sound. Just try to keep the surface flat and close to the lines.

Now I'll take a small chunk of 150 grit paper and hold it solid on a flat surface. I'll sand down until I get to the thickness of what I want, usually somewhere in the .325 range depending on what style goose gut I'm making. It's really important to keep that surface flat, and check your progress a little at a time. Remember, it's hard to put it back on....

Here's the finished blank ready to cut the angle. Now is a great time to finish sanding the tone channel and anything else that needs attention. I relieve all of the sharp edges with 400 just to round them over a bit but not lose the overall lines.

Now I'll cut the angle. I have a nice little jig I made for this, but as it's MIA I'll just use a 1/16" thick metal ruler to set the angle. I sand this right down the ruler, trying to keep the gut square to the ruler. I just want to sand this until I have my angle set, then I can work the angle by hand to get it where I want it.

I put a couple of pencil marks down the edges to help guage my progress twards the hinge point. I want to sand to the hinge point so it's even on both sides and stop.

Now I switch to 400 grit and just true up both surfaces.

Now for a wedge...

My biggest fear is that I'll die and my wife will sell my callmaking supplies for what I told her they cost.....

• Custom Call Maker
  • Eames Custom Calls
Re: Homebrew Goose Guts
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 01:11:26 AM »
I'll take the same junk insert that I used for the gut and use it for my wedge. Turned to .625 and sanded, I mark it for length and part it off.

Now I'll mark my lines and hit the belt sander again. Once this is done, I work the shape in by hand on a flat surface just like I did with the gut. Test fit as you go, I usually try to get the wedge to fit tight in the gut with 1/8" to 1/16" showing. I finish sand this and...

Voila! These tuned up perfect, nice and fat with that earthy tone hedge is famous for. I added the same finish on these as the insert and assembled them.

There you have it. No fancy jigs, no glass clear finishes, no frills. Anyone can do this, it just takes the willingness to try and learn. There's nothing like making your guts from scratch to make your call a one of a kind. Find a set of guts that you love and measure them up. There's no better tools to learn this than the work of the masters in front of us, so look through the guts and find out what you like!

Best of luck to everyone!

Bob
My biggest fear is that I'll die and my wife will sell my callmaking supplies for what I told her they cost.....

Offline VECtor Calls

• Custom Call Maker
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 08:58:56 AM »
Dang Bob!  That is a freaking serious run of it!  Nicest setup of custom guts I have ever seen!

Thanks for sharing!  I'm guessing you just lit a fire!  :)

Vince
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline Michael @ Foster Calls

• Custom Call Maker
    • Foster Calls
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 09:13:26 AM »
I know what I will be doing this weekend!!!

Offline Chris @ STW Outdoors

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 10:14:03 AM »
Very nice tutorial. Thank you for posting it up.
Chris Wright

Offline Mann Lock @ Hollow Wing Calls

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 11:35:33 AM »
This is great!  I too know what I will be trying next!

Offline Jared at Woodruff Outdoors

• Custom Call Maker
    • Woodruff Outdoors
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 11:37:15 AM »
Thank you for posting this tutorial!  I have been trying to figure out how to get started with goose guts, and you have given me a great starting point.   :bow:

• Custom Call Maker
  • Eames Custom Calls
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 12:12:06 PM »
No problem! I just wanted to show everyone that you can make these without fancy tooling or a CNC. Guys have been making these for lots of years with just sandpaper and hand tools, so I figured I'd kinda throw up some info to get everyone started.

Now before I cause a bunch of ruckus I will say that these are not as accurate as using a jig or a CNC, but you can make a beautiful sounding gut with some elbow grease and a little patience. I purposely used a chunk of scrap to show everyone that you don't need to but special materials to get this done. Make a few chips and post them up!

Bob

Offline dogcatcher

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 12:51:40 PM »
Great job!

This same method can also be used to make Louisiana style duck call guts.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline Ron Davis

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 09:13:23 PM »
Bob That is awesome. a lot of those ideas was floating around my pea brain and this was just what I need to kick start me in custom goose guts.     Thanks for sharing You Rock  :punk: :punk: :bow: :bow: :beer: :beer:
Ron

Offline Ulrich's Custom Calls

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2013, 09:20:45 PM »
Awesome tutorial Bob and thanks for sharing. I love the idea of putting a burn line in there for a reference point where the angles of the board change.  You also solved my problem of getting a clean radius end. This has got my mind back on track for making goose guts.

Corey

Offline gooseforsupper

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
    • Goose For Supper, Exotic Wood Goose Calls
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2013, 10:50:57 PM »
Thanks Bob!  Great stuff on the process.   :bigup:

Post em up you asked...  These are walnut flute guts, no hinge just a nice slope to it.

They weren't all that hard to make once you understand the steps.   

-Doug

Offline M kirk

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2013, 05:24:45 AM »
Nice,

That is really good!!

• Custom Call Maker
  • Eames Custom Calls
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2013, 10:19:26 AM »
Kick Arse!!! Way to go Doug!

I have a set of home brew flute guts sitting on my bench right now, right next to a set of speck guts I've been playing with for months. I did 2 sets of honker guts last night in just over 2 hours, not bad considering I just saved myself a whoping $8 :rofl:

Bob

Offline Joe aka COLD @ J. A. Kolter Calls

• Custom Call Maker
    • www.jakoltercalls.com
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2013, 11:45:47 AM »
You go Bob and  :rockon:
Anyone who makes there own tone boards (duck or goose) reaps the mental satisfaction from their efforts.
There should be a certificate degree making a call maker into a graduated CUSTOM call maker.
J. A. KOLTER CALLS
"Lifetime custom made hunting calls for a reasonable price".