Author Topic: Creating Vacuum  (Read 4962 times)

Offline Trey @ TNT Game Calls

• New Forum Member
    • TNT Game Calls
Creating Vacuum
« on: September 29, 2013, 08:39:45 PM »
Hey guys,

I've got a few blanks that are very old and fragile and are in need of stabilizing.  So I have been thinking about getting involved in stabilizing myself.  I can come up with a vacuum chamber, but I am looking for a good source for vacuum.  Has anyone ever tried using a water aspirator with a regular garden hose to obtain vacuum?  I have been looking around at pumps and would like to try to start off with something pretty cheap since Im not sure how much of this I will be doing.  Im just not sure that this will pull enough vacuum.
Thanks in advance. 

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
Re: Creating Vacuum
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 08:57:35 PM »
Cheapest method that I know if a brake bleeder vacuum pump.  http://www.harborfreight.com/brake-bleeder-and-vacuum-pump-kit-69328.html  At $30 it isn't the greatest but knife makers were using long before callmakers started to stabilize wood.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline Wayne at Winzer Game Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 10:52:49 PM »
Trey,
I found my refrigeration vacuum pump at a local auction for $25.00. Took it apart, clean out the goop and added fresh oil and it hasn't missed a lick. There's not much to the inside of one but you may need a gasket set from a refrigeration shop. Also, a pawn shop is sometimes a good source for not to much money. Just remember to change the oil pretty often if you use it much. That's the key to making them seal inside and last longer.
Wayne
The older blind man was asked "What can be worse than losing you sight?"  He replied " ones vision"
author unknown

Offline TurnTex

• New Forum Member
    • TurnTex Woodworks
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 02:50:53 AM »
About the cheapest you can do is to use an old refrigerator compressor.  You should be able to get one practically free.  Then, just wire it up to a plug and plug it in.  Figure out which of the copper lines suck and which one blows.  Use a compression fitting on the one that sucks to make connection to a host and you are all set.  They will pull somewhere around a 95% vacuum and are real quite.  Granted, a rotary vane pump will do a better job pulling a deeper vacuum but the refrig pump is a pretty cheap way to get your feet wet.
Curtis O. Seebeck
www.turntex.com
MesquiteMan's Cactus Juice stabilizing resin

Offline Bob from Eames Custom Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • Eames Custom Calls
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 06:10:33 PM »
I used a cheap Harbour Freight AC vaccume that hooked to an airline when I first started screwing around with stabilizing. It pulled a ton of vaccume, but it was loud and abnoxious as a 2 year old in a movie theater.

A fridge compessor is a great idea!

Bob
My biggest fear is that I'll die and my wife will sell my callmaking supplies for what I told her they cost.....

Offline Ozark Wood

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 11:27:12 AM »
My set-up uses a paint pot for the chamber. I bought and unused Gast vacuum pump from a guy who goes to industrial auctions. Got it for next to nothing. Works great. Finding hoses that don't break down from the solvent fumes is a problem.