Author Topic: Another buffing topic  (Read 7519 times)

Offline HaMeR

• New Forum Member
    • brightwoodturnings
Another buffing topic
« on: March 24, 2008, 04:34:36 PM »
I have a Jet Mini #2 MT & an older Craftsman #1 MT. I can get an adaptor from #2MT down to #1MT & get the Beall system for the Craftsman or I can just get this system & use the buffer wheel on my bench grinder for the carnauba. Or I can buff the carnauba on the lathe with a soft rag too I think.

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/probuff.html

Pros/Cons/any other useful tidbits of info are Welcome.  8)
RIP Russ,Blaine,& Darrell!!

Glen

2014-15TBC-- 11

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
Re: Another buffing topic
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 05:43:53 PM »
It depends on how fast your bench grinder is.  If it is a variable speed one, you should be OK.  If it is a fixed speed, which is usually around 3500 RPM that will be too fast for buffing.

But there is anohter way.

Do you have a jackbos chuck that lets you drill on your lathes?

If so, stick it in the head stock, and put a bolt and a couple of fender washers through the buffing pads and buff away.

You can buy nice buffing wheels from Craft Supplies.

If you do not have a Jackobs Chuck for drilling on the lathe, do you have a drill press?

You can do the same thing with the bolt and washers and chuck up the buffing pads in the drill press.   Adjust the belts on your drill press for something between 1200 and 1700 RPM and buff away.  I used to do all my buffing on the drill press until I found an adapter for the lathe.  Buffing on the drill press works very well too.

Al @ THO

Offline HaMeR

• New Forum Member
    • brightwoodturnings
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 09:00:22 PM »
Thanks Al!! I do have a drill chuck for the Jet.

:o  1200-1700RPMs. There's nothing holding that thing in but friction & hope!!  :o Or am I not getting the picture here??  ???
RIP Russ,Blaine,& Darrell!!

Glen

2014-15TBC-- 11

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 09:16:48 AM »
OK, try this.  I think it will work for you.

You will need a piece of threaded rod 1 foot long, 1/2" diameter and a some washers and nuts plus you buffing pads.

Put the drill chuck in your head stock

Put the pads on the threaded rod and secure them with the nuts and washers.

Then, take your live center that goes in the tail stock and knock out the center - it is removable just dont lose it.

Put the live center in the tail stock, and the threaded rod will fit in it perfectly.  But you have to use 1/2" rod or it wont work.

It will end up looking like this

You can get buffing pads at Craft Supplies USA.  THis is what I use, modified from the WoodNThings System to be more like the Beale System.

Al @ THO

Offline Bob from Eames Custom Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • Eames Custom Calls
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 09:23:50 AM »
Hey, I don't mean to hijack this thread, but do you use different buffs for different polishes? I had a buddy give me a few buffs that came with a high speed grinder he bought, and I'm thinking about trying to buff calls. Do some rouges work better than others?

Bob
My biggest fear is that I'll die and my wife will sell my callmaking supplies for what I told her they cost.....

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 10:27:28 AM »
Most of the buffing pads that come with high speed grinders are too hard for buffing wood.  You can take the threads that bind them togehter out and make them softer, but again, most are too hard still.

For buffing you need three different wheels and three compounds

First is Tripoli - and it is used on a linen buffing wheel

THen is White Diamon and it is used on a Linnen and cotton wheel

and then your wax - on a flannel wheel.

Now the best place to buy the compunds is from Foredom believe it or not LOL.   You need only Tripoli and White Diamond for buffing and carnuba for waxing.

http://www.blackstoneind.com/foundations/store/scresults.asp?nav=3,25,292

But the best overall buy is the Wood N Things buffing system  it run 59 bucks.  You can take the buff off the bolts they come on and put them on like I did on mine, or buy the lathe adapter from them for an exra 20 bucks and use them one at a time.  THe buffs are washable too.

The system comes with the three buffs and a big bar of Tripoli, white diamon, and carnuba.

You can even use the white diamond to buff acrylic but never ever use your buffing pads to buff any metal - it will ruin them.

AL @ THO

Hope that helps.

Bucko

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 01:20:19 PM »
http://www.simplyturning.com/wc/how2/3wheelbuff.html This is my system I just made.I likes the idea of the plasic pipe between the wheels.Nice pics. Al,real informative 8)

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 01:41:43 PM »
Hey Bucko - that is pretty darn slick!   Nice set up.   The idea of the Jam nut is GREAT!   

To be honest, I did it the way I did because the lathe it is on is really really old and I dont use it anymore.  So I turned it into a buffer.  I just put the tripoli and white diamond wheels on it and use an adapter than I put in the chuck on my other lathe for the buffing wheel.  I did it that way becasue of the amount of acrylic calls I make.   I dont need a wax wheel when doing acrylic. 

Now I am going to have to go out and get me some PVC to pretty mine up LOL.

Thanks for sharing the write up.  I am sure that the more ideas the better someone is going to be.   Thank You again for sharing that!

Al @ THO

Offline Bob from Eames Custom Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • Eames Custom Calls
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 02:22:53 PM »
You guys are slick. I have a 1/2 horse fan motor i'm gonna convert for use as a buffer. Thanks for all the info.

Bob
My biggest fear is that I'll die and my wife will sell my callmaking supplies for what I told her they cost.....

Offline Walls Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 08:05:06 PM »
You guys are slick. I have a 1/2 horse fan motor i'm gonna convert for use as a buffer. Thanks for all the info.

Bob

Bob I'm sort of doing the same thing. I picked up an old style bench grinder (The ones with a belt drive) and it has a half horse with dual shafts.  I bought it off ebay for a buck and drove 10 miles to pick it up.  Today I picked up a 1/2" motor arbor at Menards for 1.99.  I'll put that on the motor for the wax wheel and use the grinder arbors for the other two.  I'll take a few pics tomarow of it.  It should be a cheep alternative to changing my wheels all the time.

CW   

Offline Skegman

• New Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 09:10:30 PM »
OH man,  you guys had to put something like this out here.
Now ya got me thinking again, and that usally is trouble .... lol lol

Now that would make finishing the CA system up real niceeeeeeee !!!!
 got to make one now ...

OH  Al   got me a PSI  Baracuda2 chuck system now   WOW   what a pleasure it is using it.
Thank you for the INFO about chucks.

......... Alvin