Author Topic: Kitchen Knives  (Read 7960 times)

Offline Kevin Henry(Woodman)

• New Forum Member
Kitchen Knives
« on: September 20, 2013, 12:55:51 PM »
I was introduced to this site by forum member FDR. I provide wood to gamecall makers and knifemakers but I'm not a callmaker. I probably have 50+ turkey calls made by guys who have bought wood from me. I enjoy making simple rustic hidden tang knives for hunters and lately for use in kitchens. For this hidden tang knife handle I used Spalted Maple with 4 coats of Poly. I found the wood in a friend's firewood pile.
Normally my wood comes from the sawmill after it has been kiln dried. The blade was cut by waterjet from an old carbon steel handsaw. The blade thickness is about .05" so it makes a great slicer.

The second photo shows one made with crosscut Honey Locust from the sawmill. I used gun bluing on this blade. Sold.

For the next one I laminated Crotch Walnut with Curly Maple, both from the sawmill. This walnut usually goes to gamecall makers and knifemakers. Every once in a while I hold onto a piece. :) I used the brown cloth as a joiner because I wanted to fill in the low parts of the curls/waves in the maple. For glue I use Titebond III. Gun bluing was used on the blade. Sold.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 07:38:43 AM by Kevin Henry(Woodman) »
Specializing In Crotch Walnut - Crotch Maple - Curly Maple + Custom Hunting Knives

Offline Tom Hamilton

• New Forum Member
Re: Kitchen Knives
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 02:45:32 PM »
Pretty cool Kevin - How so you set the blade into the handle?

Happy turning
Tom
Happily Turning on my Robust S16LB & General 25-200

President of the Badger Woodturners

"There is no failure except in no longer trying. "
~ Elbert Hubbard

Offline Brian at DDT Game Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 03:04:07 PM »
that is slick!! gee thanks now I have one more "i wanna do" on my wanna do list

Offline mmaloney

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 04:14:07 PM »
Thats really cool!

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 04:39:05 PM »
Thanks guys.

Tom, after I have carved the handle to my satisfaction I place it in a vise and drill a series of holes that are roughly double the thickness of the blade in the shape of the letter "l". I try to drill to a depth so that the end of the tang is lodged solidly in wood. Most times I grind the tang end so that it comes to a point. Once the tang and 1/4"-3/8" of the widening rear part of the blade is fitted solidly in the handle I remove the blade and set the handle upright in the vise. Then I fill the handle with epoxy and insert the blade. I quickly remove any epoxy overflow with small straight edge pieces of greyboard(cereal boxes). In some cases the handles already have finishes on them and other times the finish is the last thing I do.

Here's some finished handles that haven't yet been mortised out for a blade. The top two blades are daggers that I had cut by waterjet from old circular sawblades. I have placed the handles so that you get an idea of how much of the tang and blade will be secured in the handle for strength. From the top down they are:
Spalted Sweetgum
Spalted Maple
Quartersawn Sycamore
Dogwood that I have dyed black. No finish yet.

This photo shows a circular sawblade that had a dagger blade blank cut from the center and the rest were blades for hunting knives that I sell.

Hunting knives made from circular sawblades. The second one down has an antler handle that I blackened. Since this photo was taken I have blued the blades. The oak sapling handled one at the top has sold. The middle one is Genuine Mahogany that I get from a local doormaker.
The second up from the bottom is Sweetgum. The bottom is Chestnut Oak sapling. I make a lot of hiking sticks from saplings and so when I see a section that would make a knife handle I use it.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 05:53:13 PM by Kevin Henry(Woodman) »
Specializing In Crotch Walnut - Crotch Maple - Curly Maple + Custom Hunting Knives

Offline jcz

• New Forum Member
  • You want some??
    • Trophygamecalls
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 09:37:33 PM »
Beautiful knives. I'm a sucker for homemade knives.
August Call Makers Throwdown Winner
http://www.trophygamecalls.embarqspace.com/

Offline mmaloney

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 10:07:35 PM »
Those are all just awesome.

Offline Jon @ JRwoods

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 11:46:10 PM »
 :bigup:  beautiful work!
Formerly Highlooker.
"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native criminal class except congress."~Mark Twain

Barry @ WildThings

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2013, 10:31:45 AM »
That cutout saw blade would make a pretty cool display as it is now!!

Offline majordog

• New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 09:26:59 AM »
very nice work.  :up1:
Don Anadell  Backyard Custom Calls

Offline Tom Hamilton

• New Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2013, 10:57:08 AM »
Thanks Kevin - That's just how I envisioned it being set in the handle.

Have you considered selling your knife blanks?

Happy Turning
Tom
Happily Turning on my Robust S16LB & General 25-200

President of the Badger Woodturners

"There is no failure except in no longer trying. "
~ Elbert Hubbard

Offline Andre's Wood Works aka: TheDecoyDude

• New Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2013, 11:26:45 AM »
I'm a knife lover and there is no exception here! I have several books on forging blades and whatnot, but this feels much simpler and less laborious. Do you cut the blanks yourself or do you send the saws somewhere to be cut for blades? Also, do you have to temper the blades to grind the edges or can you keep the steel hardened? That would really make me want to try this ~Andre'

• New Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2013, 12:31:36 PM »
Andre, I take the blades to a shop about an hour away. I draw the blades I want on paper and then the waterjet programmer inputs all the measurements into the computer. He also inputs all the measurements of the handsaw or circular sawblade. Then the blade is placed on the waterbed and secured in place. He directs the jet nozzle to a starting point on the sawblade and then the computer starts the cutting.

Prior to all this I test the hardness of all the old sawblades by laying them on my concrete garage floor. I use a tungsten steel punch with a fine point and I whack them with a 3 pound sledge. If it makes a dimple easily I then sell the blades to an artist. If the steel is good and hard and the punch cannot make much of a depression in it then I know I'll be satisfied with the knife blades it will produce.

The reason I decided to go the waterjet route is because cutting with the water and ground garnets mixture at 900 miles per hour at the nozzle does not affect the heat treatment of the steel. I can then grind my edges on the belt sander making sure the steel never gets hot. In the beginning I did get a few blade tips too hot and took away their temper on the very thin kitchen knife blades, so those knives have a somewhat rounded tip. They still work fine because I sharpened the rounded tip. The thicker circular sawblades for hunting blades are a bit easier to keep a point on. I have found that many of the circular sawblades that have carbide tips are not good for my intended use because some of the companies have used a softer steel. They can do this because the carbides tips provide the hardness necessary for cutting.

The average 3-4" hunting blade blank or dagger costs me roughly $8 each. The kitchen blades are about $10. I could buy already made blades for a bit more than this but for some reason my knives sell better since I started going this route. I think when a customer knows the complete history of the materials you use and a factory is not involved it creates a bond with the knife, although the sawblades were certainly made in a factory. Several customers have said the re-purposing of the steel and the good edge holding is what they like about their knives and knowing it will last them a lifetime. Is this steel the best available for knifeblades? Are my handles the best? Hell no, so I guess it's the story that sells them.

Tom, whenever I have a good supply of blade blanks I do sell them.

Barry, the cutout sawblades do become artwork after I spray paint them flat black.

Here's a kitchen blade set in blackened antler. The hole in the blade is one that was used for a screw to hold the handle on when it was a handsaw.

Two crosscut red oak/crotch walnut handles over a sweetgum handle. The old block of wood they are sitting on is red oak from a barn teardown in Georgia. The oak in the handles came from this block. It was from a very tight grained tree, check out how close the annual rings are.

I used the oak/walnut handles for hunting knives that I will be selling at an upcoming show. The small blades are woodcarving blades that I made from the excess tangs. These blades were made in Finland, I did not make them from old sawblades.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 06:44:10 PM by Kevin Henry(Woodman) »

Offline FDR

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2013, 07:48:58 PM »
Glad you decided to join us here on THO Kevin! A lot of us also love knives.

Here is a tip on cleaning up excess epoxy that I us in my shop: 

take a large stiff soda straw, I get a couple extra at McDonald's when I go, and cut the end off at a 45 degree angle. Now use the angled end to run down the excess epoxy bead. The epoxy will fill the end of the straw. Just cut the end of the straw above the filled end and scoop again. Repeat as often as required to clean up the excess.
Works great and leaves very little residue to clean up.

Fred
Fred Roe
Reelfoot, the original duck call. What's on your lanyard?

• New Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2013, 09:20:39 PM »
Fred, thanks, I like that suggestion. I've also learned to fill the hole so that the level of the epoxy is about an 1/8" below the top for the thin kitchen blades and about 1/4" for the thicker hunting blades. Sometimes I'm lucky and the epoxy rises up to be flush with the handle.