Author Topic: 5/8 reamer  (Read 2645 times)

Offline wlain

• New Forum Member
5/8 reamer
« on: September 20, 2013, 07:31:08 AM »
Alright. We talked about runout before.  Suggestions were drill undersize and use a 5/8 reamer.  I had a lot going on and a lot to take in.  So today's project is to go find one.  I am tired of runout and a sloppy fit between insert and barrel.  I am using Orings but I still want more precision.

I know nothing of reamers.  Tell me what you think I should know.  Where to buy and how to use.  Do they chuck into the drill press?  Should it be on the lathe? I am ready to be all ears.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 07:33:23 AM by wlain »

Offline wlain

• New Forum Member
Re: 5/8 reamer
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 08:33:17 AM »
It a dumb video but seemed informative.  Does that just about cover it?

Offline Tom Hamilton

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 08:35:36 AM »
Hi wlain - I use a spiral hand reamer that I got from Drills and Cutters.com

I got this one.
http://drillsandcutters.com/DWRRHDSP5/8reamers_hand_fractional_spf.aspx

I use it both in the lathe and out of the lathe.  For on the lathe it has a "dimple" in the square end drive that I use my 60 degree live center in, while the other end is in the wood that's already mounted on an expanding mandrel.  Your lathe needs to be able to get down to 50rpm or so, any faster and I wouldn't use it on the lathe, other than by hand.

If you put your work in a vise you can ream by hand useing a wrench in the square drive.

I hope this helps.

Happy turning
Tom
Happily Turning on my Robust S16LB & General 25-200

President of the Badger Woodturners

"There is no failure except in no longer trying. "
~ Elbert Hubbard

Offline wlain

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 09:19:10 AM »
Clarity could be just around the corner :)   I think I need to go find a reamer and study it in my hands.  I am a hands on learner for sure.

Offline wlain

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 09:22:26 AM »
I am milling all this over.  How are you reaming the hole to 5/8 when the piece is on a mandrel?  When you say a dimple the drive end and using a live center, I get a little off the pathway of understanding.

Offline wlain

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 10:03:46 AM »
Well I just found a rookie mistake.  When I used my calipers to check the bit size months ago, I had it set on fractions not decimal.  I just checked it and the bit is .64 inches. I am off to find the right bit before I do anything else.  Tisk tisk tisk, dern rookie!

Had I cleaned the bit I could have seen it is clearly stamped 41/64. :0
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 10:10:41 AM by wlain »

Offline Tom Hamilton

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 03:01:46 PM »
Hi wlain - I can see how I confused you.  If the wood is mounted in the expanding mandrel then I'd only go into the wood a small amount.

What I'll ususally do is to drill the hole (one drill size smaller than 5/8") on the lathe holding the wood with a 4 jaw chuck, then the next day (after the wood has re-sized itself) I'll ream it while the wood is still in the 4 jaw chuck.

The "dimple" is already in the reamer.  When you get the reamer, the front end is smaller, so it will fit into the hole you drilled.  I set the reamer into the hole in the wood, put a 60 degree live center in the tailstock, then bring that up into the dimple hole in the back of the reamer to hold it straight.  You can turn your lathe by hand and advance the tailstock, driving the reamer through the wood.  Then you'll have a nice clean 5/8" hole.

Happy turning
Tom
Happily Turning on my Robust S16LB & General 25-200

President of the Badger Woodturners

"There is no failure except in no longer trying. "
~ Elbert Hubbard

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 07:19:05 PM »
I mount my reamer in my vise to hold it solidly.  I hand turn the drilled blank on it to ream it out.  Works fine.  Or you can hold the blank and use a wrench/socket to drive the reamer. 

Putting the reamer on the lathe sounds like a scary venture to me, unless the blank is mounted in a 4-jaw chuck for drilling.  And even then I'm not sure I'd try it!  Lots of ways to skin a cat though.

Offline wlain

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2013, 12:28:01 AM »
Thank you fellas for the help.  Turns out I made y'all do a whole lot of typing and it was I who made the mistake.  I had the wrong bit.  I bought a .60 bit today.  I couldn't help it, I had to try it out.  I grabbed a couple pieces of walnut and busted out this one.  The fit twix insert and barrel are perfect.

URL=http://s137.photobucket.com/user/wal1809/media/image_zps3c83d2e9.jpg.html][/URL]