Author Topic: Odd problem  (Read 4762 times)

Offline wlain

• New Forum Member
Odd problem
« on: September 16, 2013, 09:12:34 PM »
Okay so in the other thread titled finally, y'all could hear me run that call.  I put some miles on it already and no lock up.

Go teal hunting this morning and took it to show it to the fellas.  First guy blows it, locks up on the feed.  Long story short it went downhill.  It locked up for all of them.  I can blow the same call in between each of them and I can't lock it up as hard as I tried to recreate the problem.

I went through several inserts trying to make a steeper arc on the toneboard.  Never got it right.
Any thoughts?

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
Re: Odd problem
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 09:39:43 PM »
Need some toneboard pics....profile with reed in, top with reed in, top with reed out, etc.  might be able to give you some direction but it is hard to say without blowing it or seeing it.  Also maybe pics or dimensions of the exhaust.  From the sound, it sounded like that call had major back pressure (or at least that's how I'd describe it) as though it was going to have a limited top end or fight you a little when you hit it with a tookatookatooka.  I've got one on my lanyard that feels that way and I love it because I can run it.

Everybody blows them different, so don't lose heart.  It didn't sound bad to me at all from what I heard.  I've heard it said a time or two that you should build calls that sound and blow the way YOU want them to.  I think that is especially true with duck calls because 10 guys will have 10 different opinions on how they should run.

Callen

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 03:17:33 PM »
I almost thought it sounded like not enough backpressure actually.  In your video it looks like the exhaust is opened up a lot (though this could be an optical illusion due to the clear acrylic).  I've found that opening it up a lot can make the call "looser" and harder to control, thus making it lock up easier.  But it is definitely hard to make a call that anyone can blow well.  That is one of the challenges.  Toneboard pics!

Cody

Offline wlain

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 04:24:13 PM »
Sorry for the late response and thank you fellas for chiming in here.  I went teal hunting this morning even though the teal bio-mass has not made it this far south yet.

I will have to remake an acrylic insert as we destroyed that one yesterday, filing here and there.  I will probably have pictures up tomorrow.

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 08:27:47 PM »
Lesson learned I hope...

You should never mess with a call that you think sounds good.  Make another to the same specs and then start filing, tweaking, etc.   :taz:

Offline Robert A.

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 09:09:46 PM »
Welcome to duck call making!! Just when you think you got it two steps back.. stay with it!! If you find your way down here I sure don't mind spending some time making calls or just hanging out telling lies..

Robert
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 09:14:48 PM by Robert A. »
Triple Shot Game Calls
http://www.tripleshotgamecalls.com/
If you don't take a chance you will never get a chance!!!

Offline Tobin at Copeland Duck Calls

• New Forum Member
  • Copeland Duck Calls
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 10:59:41 PM »
Welcome to duck call making!! Just when you think you got it two steps back.. stay with it!! If you find your way down here I sure don't mind spending some time making calls or just hanging out telling lies..

Robert

:funny:.........ill be in the pool.  :beer:
"The only place that success comes before work is in the dictionary" -VL

Offline wlain

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 11:08:11 PM »
Lesson learned I hope...

You should never mess with a call that you think sounds good.  Make another to the same specs and then start filing, tweaking, etc.   :taz:

Oh no I have serial#00001.  I made an all acrylic that we were tweaking.  I just can't understand how I could do nothing to lock up the call and they couldn't even look down the barrel without it locking up.

Offline Rick Howard

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 12:46:10 AM »
Maybe they were havin some fun with ya?
In life or anything worth partaking, if you have stopped trying to improve you have quit.

Offline wlain

• New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 08:05:21 AM »
I would love to think they are funning with me.

Here is what I am worried about.  I can't do a typical feed call "tuga tuga".  My DNA will not allow it.  I played trumpet in junior high.  First chair in band.  When it came to the exact same movement for tuga tuga, I lost first chair and went way down the line.  I physically am not able to do it.  For years I tried to learn it.  I finally gave up.

I don't like it anyway but others do.  The call would lock up on them, we suspect because of the rapid note follow up, where I have a low and slow calling method.  I don't follow up notes as fast as they were.

Offline shandy

• New Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 08:12:38 AM »
A lot of times when your call locks up in chatter it's actually the channel length from the end if the toneboard most of the time it needs to be a little longer but some times it can just be reed length cause you tuned it for you some others might not be able to blow it

Offline Matt aka ducknazi of Hawk Run Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 09:55:41 AM »
I agree with what the others said as far as air presentation to the board differs among everyone.

I was kinda in the same boat a few years ago, I could run one of mine well, but others couldn't, except for a few guys.  Thats the fun of making a custom board-to the caller.

PM sent

matt
Hawk Run Custom Calls

Offline Tobin at Copeland Duck Calls

• New Forum Member
  • Copeland Duck Calls
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 02:32:09 PM »
Post some pics.

T
"The only place that success comes before work is in the dictionary" -VL

Offline Brian at DDT Game Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2013, 02:36:07 PM »
All us newbies at tone board making have that problem, we make "lots" of calls and put them to our mouth to blow but everyone blows different and some just don't know how period. They buy a name brand call and learn to blow it and then figure they can blow anything out there, I guess when you have been making them for a while you get all that worked out

Caney Creek Calls

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2013, 07:35:38 PM »
Someone said on here once before to think about what the air is doing as it is flowing to and thru the tone board/call also to include the amount of back pressure created. When you have a problem like locking up/squealing or just not the right tone, if you really think about airflow and how the reed is acting you can usually come up with the answer yourself.
I know this has really help me and who ever posted it I would like to thank him. :punk:

Lewis