Author Topic: Who all reams the bore?  (Read 9143 times)

Offline duckaddict

• New Forum Member
  • Addiction Calls
    • www.addictioncalls.com
Re: Who all reams the bore?
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2013, 04:51:49 PM »
You can google chucking reamer and find tons of places heck some as little as $14 but keep in mind u get what u pay for!   Keep in mind just cause it says 5/8 doesnt mean its .625 especially in the cheaper tools same with 1/4.

Callen

« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2013, 05:05:03 PM »
I use one sometimes to clean up a wood barrel's hole.  Not every time though, as sometimes the bit does fine.  My reamer is old, junky, but it still cuts.

Anyways, no one has mentioned what I consider the most valuable reason to use a reamer.  IF I was one to make a large quantity of calls for customers there is NO DOUBT I would use a reamer.  The reason?  Replacement parts.  Say someone loses an insert out of one of my calls and orders a new one (either friction fit or O-ring). If I reamed that hole, I know exactly what insert to make that will fit perfectly in that bore.  On the other hand, if you do not ream the hole you almost have to either hope for the best when you send off the replacement or just ask the customer for the barrel to make sure it fits.

-Cody

Offline Andre's Wood Works aka: TheDecoyDude

• New Forum Member
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2013, 01:38:06 AM »
Gosh, that is some really good stuff guys. I do still have one question though. Can you use one of the tapered reamers to make the chamfered holes on sprig whistles cleaner/sharper? If nobody has tried it I think that COULD work... potentially... maybe :hysterical: ~Andre'

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2013, 02:48:44 AM »
Gosh, that is some really good stuff guys. I do still have one question though. Can you use one of the tapered reamers to make the chamfered holes on sprig whistles cleaner/sharper? If nobody has tried it I think that COULD work... potentially... maybe :hysterical: ~Andre'

Router bit in my drill press works for me.  Crank up the speed and be careful, rarely get chatter and very little sanding to do.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2013, 03:24:22 PM »
Can you use one of the tapered reamers to make the chamfered holes on sprig whistles cleaner/sharper? If nobody has tried it I think that COULD work... potentially... maybe :hysterical: ~Andre'

Nope, you need a much steeper angle than these reamers would provide.  A bit or reamer with an 82 or 90 degree angle is what you need for that.  Or perhaps a large end mill or fluting bit.