Author Topic: 5/8 drill bit and a tapered madrel based in the uk  (Read 2644 times)

Offline M kirk

• New Forum Member
5/8 drill bit and a tapered madrel based in the uk
« on: September 07, 2013, 01:55:29 PM »
Hi All,

I am a duck hunter based in the U.K, Although a small place we do have some excellent hunting. I am just getting into buildinhg duck calls. I have ordered some inserts from echo calls however, I am using a UK 5/8 drill bit which to be honest seems like it is slightly bigger as the call doesnt bite until the last 1mm of the taper which is probably too Far ? is there another size to use maybe 15.5 mm instead of a UK 5/8? Or is it correct that it will only bite past the "cork slot " to the bell of the insert?

Also i am using a pin chuck in a jawed chuck instead of a collett.

I like the look of these taperred mandrels but cannot find any for sale over here in sunny old England.

Hope someone is able to shed some light on the problems i am having !!

Thanks
Matt

Offline Brian at DDT Game Calls

• New Forum Member
Re: 5/8 drill bit and a tapered madrel based in the uk
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 02:08:55 PM »
Can you not order one off the internet? say ebay? I would think 5/8 is 5/8 everywhere, what kind of bit is it? if it is a spade/paddle bit don't use it cause it will be bigger

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 02:35:22 PM »
You might have better luck drilling slightly undersized, perhaps with a metric bit, then either sanding or reaming the hole to exactly 5/8".  Not all bits are created equally or with the same quality/size control.  An inexpensive 5/8" bit may not be true to size, or at least stands a better chance of being inaccurately produced.  Your methods may have something to do with it, the type of bit can have a lot to do with it (use a silver and demming style bit in my opinion), etc.  Excessive sanding of the hole can open the diameter up in no time as well.

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 06:48:10 PM »
You should be able to buy everything you need in the UK, a friend of mine used to live there in the early 2000's, he bought all of his supplies, equipment etc., locally and on the Internet.  Specialty items such as jigs he had made, but drill bits, chucks, and the rest of the tools were catalog items. 

You might post photos, sometimes it the method, not the equipment that is causing the problems.  If I have a problem, 99% of the time it is my problem, not the equipment.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline FDR

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 07:55:04 PM »
Here is one of the sources most of us use.  They have both silver/demming drills and reamers at great prices.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRHM?cm_mmc=Didit-_-MSN-_-NA-_-SEM&mkwid=S2Lde3iN&pcrid=1051243326&002=1404014&004=380156956&005=11906269567&006=1051243326&009=b&011=enco%20machine%20supplies

Amazon.com also has tools.

If you want an accurate size hole drill undersize and then ream to size.

Fred
Fred Roe
Reelfoot, the original duck call. What's on your lanyard?

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 08:04:51 PM »
Check out a drill bit size chart and get what is right under 5/8 in mm's. If that bit is too big, then you have some equipment issues.

Post pics when you can. They help a lot with issues.

Measuring your bit and your blank hole with digital calipers will help you figure out your issue too.

Vince
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline M kirk

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 05:35:42 AM »
Wow,

Thanks for all you replys and help. Funnily enough I did exactly that and i am going to try a 15mm hole then just reem/sand it out to fit. /i have also just ordered some CA finish too after reading a lot on here about it. I will try and add some pictures of hunts etc from over here today for you all to have a peek at. It is nowere on par with the type of hunting you get in the states but it keeps us going!

Thanks again, What a kind bunch of people !!

Offline stone road turkey calls

• New Forum Member
  • 3rd place 2013 norseman 6th place 2013 grand natl
    • stone road turkey calls
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 06:16:51 AM »
Kirk, Welcome to THO, I can't help you on duck calls, I only make turkey calls. not much precision drilling, don't talk about your hunting there being not as good as ours, most of us would sell our false teeth to come hunt with you. hope you get your problem fixed.

Gary
gary

Offline M kirk

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 06:43:31 AM »
Kirk, Welcome to THO, I can't help you on duck calls, I only make turkey calls. not much precision drilling, don't talk about your hunting there being not as good as ours, most of us would sell our false teeth to come hunt with you. hope you get your problem fixed.

Gary

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the welcome. Thats one thing i wish i could have a go at ......Turkey hunting !!! maybe one day we can trade a day !!

I always have one in the oven at christmas anyway, Lashings of garlic butter inbewtween the skin. DIVINE !! I am getting hungry just thinking about it.