Author Topic: Make your own speck guts?  (Read 2735 times)

Offline Jon @ JRwoods

• New Forum Member
Make your own speck guts?
« on: August 18, 2013, 12:19:35 AM »
The last discussion on speck guts got my mind working.  I decided to make a set of speck guts using a 1/2" bore.  Not sure if its been done before but I haven't looked inside many speck calls.
These DO make a speck yodel and are quite loud.  I'm just not sure I'm getting that haunting hollow sound out of them.  They are made from wood so that may play into it. 
Has anyone else tried speck guts in a 1/2" bore? 

Formerly Highlooker.
"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native criminal class except congress."~Mark Twain

Bill Smith

Re: Make your own speck guts?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 05:16:48 PM »
 :thanks: for showing the guts for the call and l noticed u make use of a alumin sleve does it make the tennion stronger

Offline Jon @ JRwoods

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 12:16:04 AM »
They are also called "gutserts".  They save the wood from splitting out.  Goose guts are a wedge fit, pair that with thin walled end grain wood and it will probably fail at some point.  I've also seen people use an inset thread wrap/epoxy to keep the wood from splitting.
You can make your own tenon sleeves from plastic, acrylic, aluminum, etc.  Or some of the site sponsors sell them.  I know Wade at WEBFoot sells some,  I think the aluminum ones came from rivermallard.
Formerly Highlooker.
"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native criminal class except congress."~Mark Twain

Offline Joe aka COLD @ J. A. Kolter Calls

• New Forum Member
    • www.jakoltercalls.com
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 09:13:49 AM »
I use a 3/4" long piece of 17/32" thin wall brass tube to line the half inch hole for my conventional goose call.
This is sufficient enough to prevent any wood split-out.
J. A. KOLTER CALLS
"Lifetime custom made hunting calls for a reasonable price".

Bill Smith

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 02:55:24 PM »
 :thanks: for explaining to me the reason for the metal bandd

Offline Scott Lindgren

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 10:45:58 AM »
Bill at Shell Creek Game Calls makes and sells an awesome set of machined 1/2" Speck guts. I'm running them in my Speck calls and love them. He also makes and sells the 1/2" aluminum gut certs. He has great products, awesome customer service, and ships fast.