Author Topic: Drill Doctor  (Read 1148 times)

Offline wlain

• New Forum Member
Drill Doctor
« on: August 29, 2013, 09:34:24 AM »
My wife bought me one of these 4 years ago.  I tried using it but made a critical error as the directions suck donkey apples.  Well I had about an hour to kill yesterday afternoon and ran across that thing in the barn.  I took it out to the quackhouse and was determined to figure it out.  I looked at the directions and finally found out I was putting the guides on the wrong side of the bit.  I have a whole bucket full of bits from years of buying bits and hanging on to them.  I got sharpening down to an art with that little drill doctor.  I sharpened bits until I got a blister on my right thumb from spinning the bit guide.    If you are like me and can't sharpen a bit freehand, I highly recommend the little drill doctor.  The only bad thing is it only goes up to a .5 inch bit.  If they have a bigger one I am going to buy it.

Offline Pure Hunting Custom Game Calls

• New Forum Member
    • Pure Hunting Custom Game Calls
Re: Drill Doctor
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 09:43:05 AM »
The 750 will take up to 3/4" I think.  Been looking at one myself.  I think you can also buy the 3/4" guild separately and use it on the 500.
Vegetarian - that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter”

If I'm not arguing with you, then you are right.

(John Atkins - formerly Predhead )
http://www.purehuntingcalls.com
http://www.facebook.com/PureHuntingCustomGameCalls

Offline Brian at DDT Game Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 12:32:42 PM »
i bought one of ebay a few years back and works pretty good, when you look at the cost of sharpening bit(11-14 bucks) then it i great, I now have a buddy that works at a steel mill that keeps me supplied with new free bits  :2up: :clap: :punk:

Offline wlain

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 01:04:25 PM »
Another plus is the broken bits.  I grabbed a broken bit and free handed the general shape of the point on the belt sander.  The last 25 % of the bit had snapped off sometime back.  I then loaded it in the doctor and 10 seconds later it was a brand new bit.