Author Topic: 1/2" to 1"  (Read 2753 times)

Offline Rick Howard

• New Forum Member
1/2" to 1"
« on: August 28, 2013, 10:14:48 PM »
Are there jaws for a Nova Chuck G3 that will hold an inside diameter 1/2" to 1".  I checked the teknatool website and did a quick google search but came up empty.  Maybe something not from teknatool but will fit my chuck, or and alternative to the 4 jaw all together?
In life or anything worth partaking, if you have stopped trying to improve you have quit.

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
Re: 1/2" to 1"
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 10:30:10 PM »
Well, I know the PSI setup with the extra jaws has what is called a pin jaw set that will go to zero.

Vince
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline Rick Howard

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 11:36:36 PM »
I gave them a look but, maybe I am confused.  I want it to hold from the inside from 1/2" going up to 1".  Looks like the pin jaws for either chuck start at 1".
In life or anything worth partaking, if you have stopped trying to improve you have quit.

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 12:17:32 AM »
If you're wanting to expand the jaws into a 1/2" hole, no way.  The pin jaws are as small as they get.  I have a set of them, so if you need measurements hit me up.  But I'd say about 1" is as small as they go. 

What are you trying to do exactly?  We might be able to come up with another way.

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 12:43:20 AM »
Ah!  I got ya!

Expanding mandrel or a homemade cone type mandrel is the only way I know to get a 1/2".

Vince
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 01:23:40 AM »
Not sure on what you are trying to do, but chucks for wood lathes are generally not accurate enough to do some of the machine work tricks that you can do on metal lathes.  You might tell us your idea and let us try to give you some other methods that might be easier and possibly cheaper.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline Rick Howard

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 07:25:50 AM »
Sorry I should have included this in the first post.  I am working on some rings.  I made one for my wife.... Which followed by requests from her friends, family, co-workers, and the jewelry store she frequents....  The problem is everyone's finger is a different size.  I tried a cone shaped mandrel that I made up.  The problem is I hit the mandrel with the tool once in awhile making these little buggers so it only last for a couple rings.  Also it has a tendacy to let go of the ring which is tedious getting it to run true again.  I can use my expanding mandrels but I am limited to 1/2", 5/8", 3/4" and 7/8".  I did experiment using the size mandrel smaller than the ring size desired and using a Dremel to take it to size.  There were a few problems with that.  The project is not worth buying expanding mandrels (having them made) in each size with a shank that fits on of my collets.

For those familiar with ring sizes (I was not until a few days ago) I am looking to got every half size not each quarter.

Thanks fellas.

Offline Chris at Owens Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
    • Owens Custom Calls
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 08:02:11 AM »
Expanding mandrel specifically made for turning rings
http://www.bangleguy.com/RIng_Supplies.html

Should make things easier for you

Offline Rick@R-Squared

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 08:52:08 AM »
Chris beat me to it for a permanent solution.  I usually use a nice hard maple tapered mandrell that i turn and use it between centers.  one helpful hint is once you have the ring (or bracelet) positioned where you want it on the tapered mandrel, put a couple of rounds of duct tape on the narrow side of the ring to keep it from slipping back down.  works well for me.

Also, if i knick it, unless it is too bad i can fill over it with CA+sawdust mix, then sand back to the proper diameter.

Hope this helps.

-Rick

Offline Rick Howard

• New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 10:23:10 AM »
Awesome.  Thank you fellas. 

Offline majordog

• New Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 10:37:58 AM »
Rick,

I have used this one turning rings for my wife and daughter.  Works "marginally".....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-3-JW-MT2-2MT-SELFCENTER-MORSE-TAPER-MINI-CHUCK-LATHE-/350264345022

Don
Don Anadell  Backyard Custom Calls

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 12:09:18 PM »
Simple solution, make your own expanding mandrel.  Take 6" pieces of wood and turn them round.   On one end make them all 3/4" diameter with a 2" long tenon, this will fit your collet chuck.   Turn 2" of the other end to the size you need, drill and tap for a 1/8" pipe threaded, NPT, plug.  Cut the end in fourths.  You now have an expending ring mandrel.   Hint, drill a center hole on the end of the NPT plug.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline Rick Howard

• New Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 11:05:13 PM »
Thank you for the help fellas.  I have a friend who is a machinist... I will see how he feels about making one of these with a few modifications to fit my lathe.
http://www.cartertools.com/mandrel1.html

This is not totally unrelated to call making.  I got to making the rings while making a wood band for a call.  I am sure some others have come about this the same way... After making a few test pieces you realize you pretty much have a finger ring.... A big one. 

I am sure you have all seen a ring before.  But here is one I made a few days ago.