Author Topic: Cutting Toneboard On Scroll Saw  (Read 1267 times)

Offline tgraytn

• New Forum Member
    • Call Makers News
Cutting Toneboard On Scroll Saw
« on: August 25, 2013, 10:00:14 AM »
I apologize for asking again...  I posted a question back some time ago regarding cutting out the inserts using a scroll saw and cannot find it anywhere.  I have a variable speed model and purchased the Olsen Spiral blades to cut my acrylic inserts because I was tired of replacing the dull band saw blades.  I have tried it on the slowest setting, medium and highest setting and can't seem to get it to work out without melting the acrylic and the blade sticking.  What method are you guys using that is successful.

Thanks!

Tom

Offline John at Finish'em Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
Re: Cutting Toneboard On Scroll Saw
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 10:49:50 AM »
We spray with wd 40 as we are cutting

bkjohnson

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 02:32:46 PM »
I have not tried cutting acrylic toneboards on a scroll saw.  I used a scroll saw for all of my wood toneboards when I started since I did not have a band saw.  I recently purchased a band saw, and now cut all of my toneboards, wood and acrylic, with it.  I can cut them faster and better with the band saw.  I have just started to use it, will acrylic dull the band saw blades?

Offline Fowl Disposition CC

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 08:30:32 PM »
I cut all my toneboards with a scroll saw... Spiral blade, slow to medium speed, and spray often with ATF.  I also back it a bit every so often to let the cut/hot material clear. 

Offline tgraytn

• New Forum Member
    • Call Makers News
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 11:36:48 PM »
Thanks everyone for your feedback.  I tried it using WD-40 and it worked perfectly!