Author Topic: Dust mask  (Read 7532 times)

Offline Walls Calls

• New Forum Member
Dust mask
« on: March 22, 2008, 08:55:44 PM »
A few weeks ago I had to take a HazMat class for work and it got me thinking about upgrading to a better mask with some replacable filters.  I have been just using a paper type with an exaust valve from 3M.  I don't wear it always but I know i should.  So my question is what ones are you guys using and where did you get it?  Is it comfortable compared to others you may have or tried? How ofter do you change the filters?  I looked at the big stores in town and they all had some version for about $25 and filters for 10-15.   Just don't want to buy one that sucks and have it sit on the shelf. Thanks Guys.

CW

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
Re: Dust mask
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 11:32:10 PM »
Eveerytime this comes up on the wood turning forums, you always hear about the air shield and other 300 buck filters and mask, but everytime I see a video or picture, they aren't wearing them.  Makes me wonder.

I wear one I got from Home Depot for about 35 bucks when I sand certain woods.  I normally do not wear one when I am turning. 

I too would like to hear what others are using that the are happy with. 

Al @ THO

Offline crazy_cottontail

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 11:52:15 PM »
I think i`m using the sme that you are now CW. I should also invest in a new one cuz mine is red from sanding dymond wood. The only thing i don`t like about the one i have is it fogs up my safty glasses from time to time.

later

Rich
Rich Jerome
aka crazy_cottontail
Printz Creek Predator Calls

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 12:14:56 AM »
My system is real simple, open the garage door, turn on my fan that is to the left of the lathe and blow it out the door.  I can turn just about anything and not have a problem from the dust.  I rarely work without the garage door open, and if I do it usually only for a very short time.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 04:09:32 AM »
I currently use AO Safety Woodworker's Respirator #95190 (Amazon.com) with replacement filters.  I remove the filters and pat them out until they just can't be used any longer.

Its 4.5 stars out of 5 in 36 reviews on Amazon, and its $15, light weight and doesn't fog up my glasses.  It does not fit well under a face shield is the only drawback.  I wear it under a face shield for a couple minutes whenever I'm rounding a peice of dymondwood though. 

I turn a LOT of dymondwood and other stuff that doesn't go well with my breathing, so I always try to have the mask on.

When I ever get around to posting pictures of my shop, you'll see I have no ventilation.  If I didn't have this mask, I wouldn't last long out there.  I switch over to a 3m pesticide mask when I spray finish to end a day in the shop.

If you go to the reviews, you'll see I gave it a 4 out of 5, wishing you could breathe through the filter easier.......but this is a whole lot cheaper than one of those huge masks like Al is talking about that would hurt my neck.

Parker 
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 08:51:48 AM »
Not to mention your wallet. The air shield is expensive - way expensive

AL @ THO

Offline HaMeR

• New Forum Member
    • brightwoodturnings
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 09:18:35 AM »
HUT Products sells a mask called the Dust Bee Gone mask. I got mine Thursday & will try it out today. $35.99 Hope it works like advertised.

http://www.dustbeegone.com/

HTH
RIP Russ,Blaine,& Darrell!!

Glen

2014-15TBC-- 11

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 11:31:30 AM »
Parker that is the same one I am using. I find it easy to use, works well and very easy on the pocketbook.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2008, 12:23:55 PM »
I can tell you that the Dust Be Gone mask is well recieved by a lot of wood carvers who use power carving equipment. 

Lots of folks use them and like them

Al @ THO

Offline Hawks Feather

• New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2008, 05:30:09 PM »
I have a Dust Be Gone and it worked O.K. for turning, but I found dust getting around it when I sanded.  I switched to the 3M 7500 Series Ultimate Half Face Respirator and like it pretty well.  It does leave your eyes exposed to dust, but at least the dust is not making it to your lungs.  You need to decide what filters you are going to use for the 7500 and there are several.  I like that in that I got some for dust and beefed up ones for when I spray lacquer this summer.

Jerry
Hawk's Feather Calls
Jerry L. Latta
220 Main Street
Defiance, OH  43512-2316
Hawks_Feather@mac.com
http://www.hawksfeathercustompredatorcalls.com/
CPCMCA  http://www.custompredatorcallassociation.com/

Offline iahntr

• New Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2008, 06:22:39 PM »
Let us know how ya like it Glen, I like the idea of it not
fogging up your glasses, if that works like they say it does.

Offline HaMeR

• New Forum Member
    • brightwoodturnings
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2008, 06:51:28 PM »
Preliminary report.

I turned 7 pens today & all is well so far. My nose was clean afterwards. Your safety glasses will fog up if the mask is not on properly. Once I readjusted the nose piece a little bit I was good to go. My garage was cold this AM too so fogging would have been more noticeable had it been occurring.

Glen

2014-15TBC-- 11

Offline HaMeR

• New Forum Member
    • brightwoodturnings
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2008, 11:00:16 AM »
Spun a couple more pens the last 2 days & I'm really starting to like the mask. It's as if I'm not wearing one comfort wise. Coco stuffs me up very quickly but I turned a pen from it this AM without that feeling plus some maple burl that has dirt pockets in it from the bugs. Neither wood has bothered me yet. I'll keep using it & see how it works in the long run tho.  8)

Glen

2014-15TBC-- 11

Offline iahntr

• New Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2008, 06:09:46 PM »
Sounds good so far.
I just had a guy give me a couple masks, cartridge filter type, so I'll probably just try those
for awhile, the price was right on em.  ;D

Offline HaMeR

• New Forum Member
    • brightwoodturnings
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2008, 09:59:49 PM »
I would try em too!!  ;D

Glen

2014-15TBC-- 11