Author Topic: Where are you at on equipment purchaces?  (Read 3453 times)

Offline FDR

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
Re: Where are you at on equipment purchaces?
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2013, 03:56:24 PM »
I am with Henry H. I too have been looking at milling machines but can't figure what I would need it for. Can you guys convince me I really need one AND what for? :turned:

Look at my tutorial on making Reelfoot style calls and see if you find a use for a milling machine.  Here is a hint: ever drill a 3/4 inch hole through a 5 inch call barrel, and then there is the flat tone board and tapered tone channel.  Not absolutely necessary but a nice addition to any call makers workshop.  I also use mine to square the ends of barrel blanks before drilling and to plane the blank to square up the sides.  I started with a metal working shop and adapted the mill to do several things I did not have the wood working tools (or shop room for them) to do.

Fred
Fred Roe
Reelfoot, the original duck call. What's on your lanyard?

Caney Creek Calls

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2013, 04:32:09 PM »
I really would like a Bridgeport milling machine also, But I've run out of room in my shop.

Offline gooseforsupper

• New Forum Member
    • Goose For Supper, Exotic Wood Goose Calls
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2013, 07:35:31 PM »
My wife has so many tools that we ran out of things to buy at the woodworkers show... :bigup:
Yep, hardcore.  I'm lucky enough to be able to use her shop, but I still get to do all the dirty and stinky jobs around the house.... :wacko:

There are still lots of little call making gadgets and gizmos and thingamabobs I want to pick up in the future.
-Doug

Offline Tobin at Copeland Duck Calls

• New Forum Member
  • Copeland Duck Calls
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2013, 11:41:40 AM »
Hello my name is Tobin.....and I'm a toolaholic. It's been 48 days since my last purchase, and I'm holding strong.  :up1:

T

T, I missed the last meeting. I didn't fall off the wagon yet but I'm slipping.

Stay strong brother......stay strong.

T
"The only place that success comes before work is in the dictionary" -VL

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2013, 08:01:54 PM »
My last purchase, yesterday we bought an 8x12 portable building for shop space in Ruidoso, NM.  8 foot walls with windows and big door.  Then the work starts, I will have to put in wiring, shelves, benches and move the tools to it.  It should be delivered this next week.  With this I have 2 full shops, only thing I will carry back and forth from Texas to New Mexico are my jigs and some specialty tooling.  I will probably add a new drill press to this shop, maybe a new 10" bandsaw and a scroll saw.   Watching the Craigslist in New Mexico will hopefully be a good thing.

Next will be to convince myself not to do the same at our ranch.   Bad enough that I have a mini lathe and other goodies in the living room of the ranch cabin, and a shop would be nice, but not used enough to justify it.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Bill Smith

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2013, 12:24:17 AM »
Lets see i got some but truely need a lot more since 4the years ago lost most of my power tools. One table saw n scroll saw and drill and drill press and a lot of hand power tools were stolem along with a john deer tracker, jewlery and coins that l collected as a kid, anitque tools too. But for the lathe jacobs chuck and 4the jaw chuck.