The Art of Handcrafting Custom Game Calls > Handcrafting Traditional Reelfoot Duck Calls

Reelfoot Style ( Need Help )

(1/1)

captain09:
 Im really interested in trying to make a reelfoot style call I just ordered bronze .006 and stainless .005 material for the reeds but I am in need of a jig can someone help me with that or is it possible to make without a jig.

FDR:
If you have not found the Reelfoot call  tutorials just click on this link.

http://thogamecallsforums.com/index.php/board,347.0.html

Read all the tutorials carefully. The correct answer is yes you can make a Reelfoot call without a jig but it will be harder. I made my first jig from wood and you can also.

By the way you do not need a milling machine to make a Reelfoot call. The old calls were made by drilling the tone channel hole at an angle and then cutting away part of the hole to form a tone board and tone channel.

The Reelfoot forum has several experts that can answer any questions you have after you finish the tutorials. Don't be affraid to ask!

Welcome to the world of Reelfoots!

Fred

captain09:
Thank you FDR for the information I will research all I can hopefully in the weeks to come by trial and error I can produce a reelfoot call.

FDR:
An don't forget to use us as a resource to answer your questions as they come up.

Again, welcome to the forum.

Fred

Henry H:
Fred is being humble... he is THE expert!

That said, if I can help in any way since I'm not too far ahead of you on the learning curve, post here or send a pm and I'll share whatever I can.  I posted my version of a "jig" in that tutorial section, that was made from spare parts in my shop.  Not quite as foolproof or dead-on consistent as a hardened jig and milling machine, but has the advantage of allowing me to experiment with different toneboard cuts and tone channel depths and angles. 

My most useful acquisition was an x-y table for my drill press, which allows very easy tonechannel shaping.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version