Author Topic: Opinions needed  (Read 4674 times)

Offline trooperjd

• New Forum Member
Opinions needed
« on: July 17, 2013, 08:57:19 PM »
Okay fellow call makers, your help is requested.  I'm trying to decide on a really nice classy wood for a custom grunter.  It will include a band from Ron of course.

Here is little background and info.  I've become really close with a fellow LEO in my area. He's old enough to be my father, and he lost both of his sons in car crashes.  We hunt and shoot together, and I've basically become his step son.  He always does for me without asking, and has gone as far as buy guns for me as a surprise.  I want to make him a classy call that he will be proud of, a one of a kind.

My requirements based on his preferences are a dark highly figured wood with a low sheen.  He prefers the tube over an all wood grunter.  I guess a crotch, burl or highly figured would fit the bill.  Here's where y'all come in!  Make suggestions as far as species, figure etc. Also keeping in mind availability of suggested species.  Lets hear it and ill post the final choice of wood an eventually the final product before I give it to him.  With y'all's help we will make it a great gift and suprise before he goes on his Colorado hunt. Thanks in advance!

Offline Wane

• New Forum Member
Re: Opinions needed
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 09:55:17 PM »
Figured Walnut, either claro Walnut or crotch wood.
Wane

Offline trooperjd

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 10:09:23 PM »
Yes sir that was my first thought, but my experience is limited with various woods.  I've seen darker colored cherry as well.  The walnut I've used locally is very light, not the chocolate dark stuff.  Thanks

Offline Henry H

• New Forum Member
    • HH Reelfoot Call Journal
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 10:13:23 PM »
Hard to beat a figured piece of walnut or walnut crotch for a really classy, dark call.  What size do you need/use?  I might have a piece or two that I'd be happy to donate for such a good cause.

Offline Lon @ First Flight Game Calls

• New Forum Member
  • love that quack whackin'
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 10:19:39 PM »
Kingwood, zebrawood, or the old standby-cocobola. I like silver inlay to offset the dark of the woods, or brass for the same reason.
Thanks for respecting what he has done for you. Proud of you young man.

:bigup:

Lon
Government can't solve the problem...Government is the problem. Reagan

Good work ain't cheap and cheap work ain't good!

Offline Mac Dietrich

• New Forum Member
    • McClain Dietrich Custom Game Calls
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 10:31:36 PM »
ABW or cocobolo would be my choices

Bill Smith

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 10:50:51 PM »
Zebra wood and cherry and teak and mahogany are my suggestions and black walnut. Its all nice to have some color to it.

Offline trooperjd

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 11:05:06 PM »
I have one piece of Cocobolo that I've been saving.  Ill dig it out and see if it is long enough and fits the bill.  Usually I use 1.5 x7 to make my grunters with.  The reason I haven't used the cocobolo is its an orange variation rather than the rich dark color.  Kingwood or ABW are dark as well.  Decisions to make I guess.  Ill look at past posts of grunters made of each in the past.

Offline Mac Dietrich

• New Forum Member
    • McClain Dietrich Custom Game Calls
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 12:13:50 AM »
Here's a cocobolo grunter I did while back if this helps ya out any

Brent Winingear

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 08:15:44 AM »
Yes sir that was my first thought, but my experience is limited with various woods.  I've seen darker colored cherry as well.  The walnut I've used locally is very light, not the chocolate dark stuff.  Thanks

Black cherry soaked for a day or so in BLO takes on a darker, deeper red color. The problem is, that it normally doesn't have a lot of figure to it.

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 12:48:07 PM »
Turkish walnut. Finest way to go for this instance.

Vince
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline trooperjd

• New Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 01:04:34 PM »
I researched walnut varieties last night, but forgot about Turkish variety.  I have to admit I'm partial to domestic wood, but have made real nice calls from Cocobolo and king wood too.  Laying in bed last night I was thinking and realized I had overlooked a possible choice.  Texas Mesquite!!! I have access to 3000 acres of land loaded with This wood.  We cleared a right of way for a fence about 5 years ago, and piled up the bulldozed trees in multiple piles.  Maybe Ill check that out as a possible choice.  The Mesquite in that area is a really rich red/brown variety not honey mesquite.  It may be a while before I get to go out there due to work.  Choices to be made.

Offline J.Rode

• New Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2013, 01:05:38 PM »
A highly figured walnut or green hedge. 

Jason

Offline D. VanHelden

• New Forum Member
    • vanheldengamecalls.weebly.com
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2013, 02:39:57 PM »
If you need a pc of dark walnut with some figure let me know,its hard to beat walnut for color when it comes to domestic wood choices.  I have some walnut laying around and I owe someone wood to even out my karma. 

Offline Randy of Call Back Game Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2013, 07:00:25 PM »
I think a nice dark burl , perhaps a  virus type burl. I haven't quite figured out to put a photo in my posts yet, but I have one in the gallery.