The Art of Handcrafting Custom Game Calls > Handcrafting Traditional Reelfoot Duck Calls

Oscar Quam Reelfoot call

(1/3) > >>

FDR:
I picked up an "Oscar Quam" reelfoot style call off eBay for study and to add one to my small collection.  The call came without a reed an as a result was quite reasonably priced.  I dropped in one of my reeds and after a little tuning this call will really run. Mr. Quam really knew how to make a fine call. The call barrel is only 3.5 inches long.

Ben wrote a fine tutorial some time back on how to make this type call barrel. You can find it in the Duck Call tutorials on this forum.
http://thogamecallsforums.com/index.php/topic,13242.0.html

Here is the picture of the call:

Fred

Mac Dietrich:
Sweet call can't wait to learn how to make them!

John at Finish'em Custom Calls:
I had also been looking at that call on eBay but didn't bid on it. Glad you got it.

dogcatcher:
Nice catch, I have one like it, great sound.

Marvin

FDR:

--- Quote from: dogcatcher on June 28, 2013, 09:44:20 PM ---Nice catch, I have one like it, great sound.

Marvin

--- End quote ---
How thick is the original reed Marvin? I installed an 0.005 bronze reed and the wedge does not quite come to the top of the insert. Either the reed was tapered or much thicker or the wood has shrunk. Maybe some or all of those.
You are correct, it has a great sound and the exhaust is unlike more modern Reelfoot calls.  Worth an extended study!

Fred

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version