Author Topic: Tone board practice  (Read 10631 times)

Offline Mac Dietrich

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
    • McClain Dietrich Custom Game Calls
Tone board practice
« on: June 28, 2013, 10:46:12 AM »
I'm sure this has been done before but I am trying get a consistent sound outta my tone boards and decided to make a concentrated effort to document it in case anyone wanted to see how I do it and the tools I use. I went to lowes and picked up some 5/8" oak and popular dowels and 1 1/8" oak and popular. Price was the deciding factor on this as it was about 15$ for all 4 pieces of wood. I will be doing an experiment so to speak to determine the difference if any in a 2 piece TB vs. 1 piece and will be using both wood types to determine this. Here's the tools I used along the way

Next thing I did was take the 1 1/8" dowels and cut a few pieces about 1 1/2" long to be drilled and insert the 5/8" dowel pieces.

Next I chucked up the 1 1/8" dowel piece and squared up 1 end of the blank to prep it for drilling

Next I drill using a fostner 5/8" bit and drill about 3/4" into the 1 1/2" piece.

So now that I've got the 1 1/8" dowel drilled I can take the 5/8" dowel and proceed to glue up the 2 pieces

I use clear 2 part epoxy and a clamp to press the 2 together

So I also decided to do some 1 piece TB's and here's how I do that. I take the 1 1/8" dowel and the the TB jig and mark where I need to make the 5/8" part of the TB.

I use a 5/8" wrench to tell me where to stop

Next all the TB's I put a o-ring grove in all the TB's I've done

So next for this experiment I wanted to make sure all the TB's both 1 and 2 piece are all uniform. I do this by measuring and the 1 1/8" portion of the TB and truing up the ends to make them all the same by sticking the 5/8" portion of the TB into the collet chuck and adjusting to whatever size I need. For this experiment I did 1.5" long portion of the exhaust.

Here's what they all looked like once complete for the experiment

Now here's the part where you drill the blank I used 1 1/4" with a drill stop for this experiment but ill be drilling different lengths to determine the best sound. I also use a step drill bit to bore out the end exhaust.

Next I use a band saw and cut out the insert while the TB is in the jig.

Being new to making TB's I've learned that getting the sound right is no easy task every file stroak makes a difference the hole size and length matters the exhaust size matters etc. etc. etc. TAKE NOTES!!!!!
For this experiment I am keeping track of total length, hole length, exhaust size and exhaust length there's also hole size and different types of wood etc. etc. etc. it is very important to keep track if your just starting out! Thanks for viewing and good luck!

« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 03:31:20 PM by Mac Dietrich »

Offline FloridaQuacker Game Calls

• Custom Call Maker
Re: Tone board practice
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 11:15:32 AM »
Awesome...great for us wannabe's
another Wayne.... :bigup:

Offline HTM_Calls

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 10:00:31 PM »
Do you just use the drill press to drill the 1/4"? if so how do you keep it perfectly square?

Offline Mac Dietrich

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 06:27:27 PM »
I went back and took a few extra pics of how I actually drill and the set up here's pic of the actual set up with drill chuck I use and 1/4" drill bit and drill stop.

Next is a pic of drilled tone board

Here's a pic of the step drill bit I use. This 1 happens to be 1 I picked up from lowes as a set for about 35$ comes with 3 different sizes to choose from.

Next pic is me actually inserting step drill bit and drilling to set depth whatever you determine you want to still to. This is an important # you want to keep track of on your notes with your calipers or whatever you use to determine your mesumemts.

Final pic is picture of drilled exhaust hole

Offline HTM_Calls

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 09:10:52 PM »
Awesome! thanks for clearing that up! great tutorial very easy to follow and answered a lot of problems I have been having!

Offline Gouldman

• THO Recommended Advertiser
  • Custom Call Maker
  • Goulds Custom Calls & Custom Bands
    • Gould's Custom Calls
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 08:31:46 PM »
Good work Mac.......You won't regret the time spent.  :beer:
Of all the things I've lost while call making...its my mind I miss the most.
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.

Offline Bill Smith

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 04:31:03 PM »
 :thanks: been asked woundering how to do this as i would like to learn to make my own tone boads annd what tools I need.
Bill T.

Offline M. Wells

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 02:30:23 PM »
Awesome
Making Game Calls is a spiritual thing !!

Offline Bill Smith

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2013, 08:32:53 PM »
  :thanks: just started to try my hand at makin the full call n turning all the parts to the tone board this will be done from cedar not sure how it will turn out. Hopefully cedar makes a good stopper n toneboard.
Bill T.

Offline John_Willocks

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2014, 09:24:25 AM »
Awesome I was wondering how to do that! So how do they sound?
Fowl waters custom calls

Offline Mac Dietrich

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2014, 03:31:02 AM »
Awesome I was wondering how to do that! So how do they sound?

John they all were cut in a public jig and all had a simple quack for the most part. Tinkering with bore depth, slope, cork notch all will affect the sound overall aswell so keep that in mind. Once you get a public jig or if you have 1 be sure to take notes on the little changes you make so you'll have them when the times comes for custom jig. Also if your filing outta the jig be sure to file it flat on a very flat surface if your changing anythjng once outta the jig. I by no means am an expert but doing this helped me tramendiously by spending the time seeing for myself what different changes affecta the overall sound and making note of it.