Author Topic: Gonna give the reelsfoot a try  (Read 3846 times)

Offline Levi @ Wingtamer Outdoors

• New Forum Member
Gonna give the reelsfoot a try
« on: June 22, 2013, 04:47:40 AM »
Been wantn to try makn a reelsfoot for awhile. Decided tonight that I was gonna try and make a rough jig out of stainless. So we will see how it goes. Thanks to Henry H for the toneboard layout worksheet and everyone's tutorials. Ill post progress and I'm sure lots of questions.

Thanks
Levi
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 08:54:41 PM by Levi @ Wingtamer Outdoors »
Was originally goosetamer

Offline Henry H

• New Forum Member
    • HH Reelfoot Call Journal
Re: Gonna give the reelsfoot a try
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 06:32:49 AM »
Good luck!  There are much better resources here than me, but I'll certainly help however I can!

Offline FDR

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 08:47:20 AM »
I made the jig I use daily out of aluminum. I use a 3/4 inch through hole with a 1 inch counterbore to clear the wedge area on the insert. Cut away about 1/3 of the through hole and start there with your first tone board. Cut the jig down a little at a time, toward center, until you get the sound you are looking for. Then make a steel jig and heat treat it if you plan to saw out your tone boards. This is a picture of my steel jig.  The screws hold the tone board blank in place and can be used to center the tone board in the jig.

Fred
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 09:05:35 AM by FDR »
Fred Roe
Reelfoot, the original duck call. What's on your lanyard?

Offline Levi @ Wingtamer Outdoors

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 09:08:11 AM »
FDR thanks for the input on the toneboard. Dont have any reelsfoot calls so im going at this pretty blind. I wanna do this bc of of the tradition and history. Was just going with stainless bc that's all I had at work last nite to deal with in square stock. Figured if I got a good jig then I'd heat treat and wire edm it out.

Thanks Levi
Was originally goosetamer