Author Topic: Interesting proposal  (Read 5568 times)

Offline Mac Dietrich

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
    • McClain Dietrich Custom Game Calls
Interesting proposal
« on: June 05, 2013, 10:49:37 PM »
Went to see a long time friend who happens to be a  master knife builder. Basicly just to BS but ended up having a very interesting conversation about carrying on traditions of your giving trade or craftsmanship is a better word. He mentioned his son who happens to be in his mid 20's has absolutely no interest in learning to build knifes from 1 of the best knife makers in the country. Which led to the discussion of carrying on the craft. I asked him who will learn from you to carry on you skill? His answer was I don't know. My friend is no spring chicken and when guys like him don't have people to pass on there trade does it end? My answer is yes.

Today's kids and and young adults have so much other stuff going on today and other things on there minds than to learn something as valuable as a craft. Not saying all but a lot of kids just don't have any interest in it. Part of the problem is you can't force anyone to do anything but if you see a kid interested in what your doing spend the time and effort it takes to keep them intersted. Weather it be hunting, fishing, building calls or whatever keep kids intersted!

I started to learn how to build knives from him 4 yrs ago but it was cut short due to work schedules. He mentioned with what I know in call making I could apply to making custom knives. It just so happens we're now on the exact same work schedule too. My delama is I've always wanted to learn how to build knives but ended up teaching myself how to make game calls....with a lot of help from a bunch of you guys...but do I take him up on his offer or just keep making game calls? I don't have time for both that's for sure and I hate to pass up the offer so that's my propersition and problem all in 1!!!! Advise welcome!!!!

Offline Marshall's Custom Calls

• Custom Call Maker
Re: Interesting proposal
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 12:05:09 AM »
Go for the knives! If you don't enjoy it you can return to call making. You'll never know until you try!
David Marshall, of Marshall's Custom Calls

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • Custom Call Maker
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 12:08:09 AM »
Do both. You have time for both. You just have to manage your time out and learn to turn projects on and off at the right time.

You have to do the knife making while the opportunity is smacking you in the face.

Vince
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Custom Call Maker
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 12:29:28 AM »
I say do both, and do both for fun until you're ready to commit further.  If you aren't out there trying to sell calls like crazy that'll generate some time to make knives.  Just because you're doing one of the other doesn't mean you have to go all in.  Learning a craft from a master is a heck of an opportunity.   

If you do drop callmaking, I call dibs on your lathe if and when you put it up for sale.   :devil2:
And when I pick it up from you I will kick you in the ass so hard for making that decision, you'll get taller.  You're an up-and-comer in custom callmaking and the only reason to drop it is if you don't enjoy it.   :2:

Offline VECtor Calls

• Custom Call Maker
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 01:04:46 AM »
I was going to make a comment about the lathe too. :)

I won't now though. :)

Vince
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline Mac Dietrich

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 01:08:22 AM »
Points well taken I didn't commit yet nor discuss details but had mentioned maybe 2-3 hrs 2 times a week he's a heck of good knife builder and hate to pass on opportunity but those sessions are about the amount of time I have to build calls each week so managing both would be hard. I did start a knife with him back in 09' that he finished for me so some of the basics of knowing how to cut the flat stock steel into pieces and parts of the knifes I know. Grinding a prefect edge is the hard part!!!

I think though if I don't take him up on the offer ill regret it.  I didnt ask but Probley a reason he offered is he has seen and owns some of my calls and knows how that I actually committed to learning a craft and would like to see what I can come up with if I can learn knife making. He has always been like a big brother to me and has always busted my balls about this and that and for him to think I can do it means something to me at least. I didn't tell him that of course but I am most certainly intrigued.

Offline John at Finish'em Custom Calls

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 01:59:54 AM »
I kinda have the same thing going on. My Uncle makes some of the nicest furniture that I have seen. None of his kids or grand kids want to learn or I guess have the time. I just got through helping him make 2 toy boxes for his great grand kids and we have 3 more to go. When we get through with those he's going to help me make a display case for my calls that I'm collecting. He has so much knowledge to pass along its unreal. I can't go out there every day but I go when I can. I have already learned a lot from him. I'm going to keep trying to do both as long as I can. I love making calls and working with flat wood is something that I have wanted to do for awhile. So after that long ramble I say try to do both it's not often that people like us get the opportunity to learn from master knife makers or master furniture makers. Go for it.

Offline HaMeR

• Custom Call Maker
    • brightwoodturnings
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 07:34:28 AM »
learning to build knifes from 1 of the best knife makers in the country

Just me but I think that speaks volumes for your decision making process. I would learn everything I could from him,, graciously & humbly of course,, & make some great memories with him. And just because someone doesn't want to learn from him right now doesn't mean down the road they won't want to try it themselves. You may have the opportunity then to give back. Time is limited in more ways than one. Go for it & never look back!! I await your 1st knife!! 
RIP Russ,Blaine,& Darrell!!

Glen

2014-15TBC-- 11

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • Custom Call Maker
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 07:42:37 AM »
On your last day on earth, you probably wont regret much that you did.

You WILL regret everything you didn't do but thought you wanted to............

AL @ THO

Offline Lon @ First Flight Game Calls

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
  • love that quack whackin'
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 12:05:59 PM »
Excellent point Al     :bigup:

Lon

:gitrdone:
Government can't solve the problem...Government is the problem. Reagan

Good work ain't cheap and cheap work ain't good!

Offline FS Custom Calls

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 03:33:30 PM »
Al, you are a scholar.   Do both I say.   Maybe his son will see you wanting to learn and feel some interest.  Opportunities like this are a once in a lifetime opportunity.  I spent lots of days with one of the best muzzle loader builders of all time.  I watched but never learned and his trade died with him.  True craftsmen are one in a million.  My Dad says that I picked up on his unorganized ways but that was about it.  I was like 10 at the time though.
Thor

Offline gooseforsupper

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
    • Goose For Supper, Exotic Wood Goose Calls
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2013, 07:32:10 PM »
Seize the day!   :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :punk:  Go for it!  Don't pass on the opportunity!!!!   

Give it a shot, there is nothing to lose, but plenty to gain.
 :bigup:
Doug

Offline Mac Dietrich

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2013, 08:35:55 PM »
Thanks everyone for the advise I truley appreciate and respect y'all's opinions. I thought about it all night at work last night and have come to the conclusion that this truley is an opportunity of a lifetime. Don't know that ill get many calls made as I don't have a lot of time each week but if I don't ill always wonder coulda, shoulda, woulda. I love making calls and won't give it up I think what ill do is probley just put more effort into the few I do make and see what happens!

Offline Wayne at Winzer Game Calls

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2013, 11:02:28 PM »
Hey Mac, how about finding some young man in your area, big brother with him and both of you learn how to make knifes together and you can also introduce him to call making! That way you not only learn a new craft but also have the possibility of carrying on both crafts through a young person. You never know, that my just be the thing that keeps them out of trouble. One thing I have learned is that you always have time to do something that you really want to do.
Wayne
The older blind man was asked "What can be worse than losing you sight?"  He replied " ones vision"
author unknown

Offline Mac Dietrich

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2013, 11:25:39 PM »
Hey Mac, how about finding some young man in your area, big brother with him and both of you learn how to make knifes together and you can also introduce him to call making! That way you not only learn a new craft but also have the possibility of carrying on both crafts through a young person. You never know, that my just be the thing that keeps them out of trouble. One thing I have learned is that you always have time to do something that you really want to do.
Wayne

I like the idea of that problem is working 7 days a week at work, 18 month old, girlfriend and other commitments makes it tough to dedicate to someone. I wouldn't wanna just commit 10% if I was mentoring some young man or kid. Another issue is only available time is 730am to 1000am a few days a week so that limits mentoring aswell. Either way ill figure something out schedule wise to try and do both but I think I will focus on making knives while the opportunity is slapping me in the face!