Author Topic: New to casting question  (Read 3171 times)

Offline Dave lucia

• New Forum Member
New to casting question
« on: June 05, 2013, 09:25:01 PM »
Hi guys just pick up some alumilite regular 28 oz kit from hobby lobby to give it a try before I order the 2 gallon kit. My question is when mixing two colors together how long do you let it set up before pouring the blank. My plan was to  use 4 cups 2 part A cups with separate  colors then put part B into both part A's wait a few secs the pour into PVC I just don't want the colors to blend together and make a different color. With only 90 sec you  don't have much time to think
 :wacko:

Offline Tom Hamilton

• New Forum Member
Re: New to casting question
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 12:05:24 PM »
One key element that makes Alumilite work is that you MUST completely mix both A and B or your pour will fail, you won't have the chemical "connection".

What I do is take a small amount of A (just enough to mix in the colors) and put it in a cup large enough to hold your final amount of that color.  I mix my colors in as many cups as needed. 

Then I pour the A and B sides together in a larger separate container and mix mix mix until it's not cloudy.

Then I pour that mixture into the smaller color cups in the amount I want for that color, then mix that again.

Then without hesitation pour into your mold(s), mixing the colors as you pour.  I take a skewer and swirl after that, but that's my "artistic" choice.

Then get it into the pressure pot at about 60 lbs immediately to squish those air bubbles you created while stirring and mixing.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have more questions.

Keep turning -  :up1:
Tom
Happily Turning on my Robust S16LB & General 25-200

President of the Badger Woodturners

"There is no failure except in no longer trying. "
~ Elbert Hubbard

Offline Brian at DDT Game Calls

• New Forum Member
Re: New to casting question
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 12:16:12 PM »
gonna be tough with that 90 sec stuff, you will find yourself being in a hurry