Author Topic: help needed  (Read 1692 times)

Offline Michael @ Foster Calls

• New Forum Member
    • Foster Calls
help needed
« on: May 31, 2013, 01:20:46 PM »
K guys I can't get any pictures on because my computer is being fixed so I am on my phone and can't figuire out how to get pictures on but anyways that's not the problem I need help with my duck call that I made it has double reed guts in it and it is really quiet and hard to blow what do you think I need to change

Offline Robert A.

• New Forum Member
Re: help needed
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 01:22:56 PM »
There are so many variables.. Without seeing your tonabord it is hard to say..
Triple Shot Game Calls
http://www.tripleshotgamecalls.com/
If you don't take a chance you will never get a chance!!!

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 04:31:20 PM »
 If you have an iPhone, here's a method to post your photos:

http://thogamecallsforums.com/index.php/topic,16545.msg125130.html#msg125130

We really need to see some pics to help diagnose the issue.

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline Joe Short

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 01:24:57 PM »
For me the volume directly relates to just a few variables. Difficulty to blow can be attributed to a few different variables as well. A little more information would go a long way. Is the insert one that you've made, or bought? If you made it, it is likely that the things making it quiet and hard to blow are separate issues. The material is also a factor, softer woods have a noticeably softer tone, even soft maple is too quiet to get a real high ring. The easiest way to make an insert louder (in my experience) is to expand the exhaust a little. Just a slight taper will go a long way... conversely, this is also a surefire way to make it harder to blow if you go too big. Other ways to increase volume are a very tight fitting cork, and larger tone channel bore (which also makes it a bit harder to blow). Specific things to look for with blowing difficulty, off the top of my head, are the issues aforementioned, barrel too long, reeds being too long or improperly inserted, and an issue with the radii of your toneboard. I'm sure there are other possibilities, but these are the only ones I've encountered myself.
"We have a lot of great call makers in NC. Maybe more call makers than ducks." - JCZ

Offline Michael @ Foster Calls

• New Forum Member
    • Foster Calls
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 12:31:18 AM »
Thanks guys I will try to get pictures on here soon!

Offline Josh Hinton

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 08:42:40 AM »
When mine are hard to blow, the first thing I do is trim back the reed to make them a bit shorter.  It only takes a sliver and then if you trim off too much you can always start over.  Get it sounding good with a single reed first, then add the second reed and tune it if needed.  That's one of the easy ways to check first before making changes to the board or exhaust, etc.  IMO, it's worth a shot before going through trouble.  I learned the hard way, I made a lot of inserts that were very hard to blow and just didn't sound right.  I was trying to tweak my design on the insert when the whole time it was reeds that needed trimming.  LOL.

Offline Tobin at Copeland Duck Calls

• New Forum Member
  • Copeland Duck Calls
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 09:48:10 AM »
Tone channel is to short......probably.   :2:

T
"The only place that success comes before work is in the dictionary" -VL