Author Topic: How I make my hangman's knots  (Read 16452 times)

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
How I make my hangman's knots
« on: December 07, 2008, 05:43:37 PM »

I've got a really simple jig for my noose knots.  It helps me keep the lanyard drops at a consistant length.  I've got 3 of these jigs, depending on the legth of the drop that I want.

The jig consist of a 2x6 with three screws drilled into it.  The screws that I am using are 2.5" long.

The first step is to lay the cord on the bottom side of the middle and right screw:

Then bring the cord around the right screw and under the middle screw:

Next is to take the cord around the middle screw back towards the right screw:

Around the halfway point between the middle and right screw, take the tag end of the cord under the loops:

Then start making the wraps:

When you get the desired amount of wraps, then take the tag end of the cord and insert it through the loop by the middle screw:

Next, take the loop off of the middle screw, and start pulling on the loop around the right screw.  That will shorten the loop that was around the middle screw.  Pull on the right loop until the left loop is snug against the wraps.

And finally, we have a finished noose knot on a lanyard drop. ;D

Hope this helps.  Let me know if you have any questions.

Brian

You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
Re: How I make my hangman's knots
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 05:56:40 PM »
Dang, that is too easy. I do the same thing, but just in my hand. But your way is so easy to keep a snug loop. Very creative.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline justannie

• New Forum Member
    • BKC Turkey Calls
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 06:19:52 PM »
I've done them free hand also, but I sure can see where your set-up is superior. Thanks!
Bonnie K

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 06:44:43 PM »
That is one slick idea.  I see a project in the works for tomorrow, I can see a few modifications I am going to try.  Think cribbage board with adjustable pegs.

Thanks Brian for an excellent idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline Braz

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 07:45:06 PM »
Yea, I think smooth pegs would be better. Would not cut the cord like the screws would and would be easier to slip the cord off. Marvin, another project for you to make!  ;D
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 08:06:23 PM »
 ;D  Momma's gonna like this one!

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline Braz

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2008, 08:33:36 PM »
OH? Is she the one making your lanyards? I wish I could get my wife making some for me. All she does is make quilts. Lots of them. Got the darned things everywhere I look. Maybe 20+ a year. Lanyards are cheaper to make and take less room. I gotta work on that woman.
Braz

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2008, 08:33:59 PM »

Braz, I keep the cord up towards the head of the screw.  That serves a couple of purposes.  It keeps the cord off of the threads to prevent damage to the cord.  And the head of the screw keeps the cord from slipping off the top of the peg.  I tried using a straight peg at first.  The straight peg kept allowing the cord to pop off over the top of the peg. >:(  You could notch the peg, but why not just use a screw instead?  If you notice, there are a couple of other screw holes in the board.  I tried different hole patterns at first and the screws are really easy to move around on the board to get the desired spacing. ;D

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2008, 09:01:45 PM »
I hadn't thought of a smooth top allowing the cord to slip off, been quite awhile since I have made a lanyard, my DIL makes ours.  I will see what she wants, and then go from there.  I have no idea how she keeps the drops uniform length, she may have something similar to this or her own version.  Still a slick idea.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline Braz

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2008, 10:23:12 PM »
Brian, I now understand your logic, and it is good stuff.  ;D I still would rather not have those sharp thread of a screw, and would maybe try someting else. But I sure do see the need for the head to keep the cord from slipping off. Great idea.
Braz

Offline justannie

• New Forum Member
    • BKC Turkey Calls
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2008, 11:20:08 PM »
Could you use dowels instead of the screws and glue washers on the tops?
Bonnie K

Offline HaMeR

• New Forum Member
    • brightwoodturnings
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2008, 11:51:21 PM »
I was thinking a turning that resembled a golf tee. I would use screws 1st. Then when things were just right I would clamp a 2nd board to the back of the 1st board & drive the screws into it. This would mark your hole pattern to drill for the golf tee turning to be glued in. Glue some felt over the board or just use a nice piece of wood with some nice figure & poly it & make yourself a jig that is easy on the eyes. HTH
RIP Russ,Blaine,& Darrell!!

Glen

2014-15TBC-- 11

Offline Braz

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2008, 11:55:11 PM »
Dang, you guys are great at coming up with all these ideas. A pretty jig!
Braz

Amerflyer48

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2008, 12:32:59 PM »
     I was thinking this morning while hunting ducks,....

staging nails,  .polished staging nails the kind of nails with the double head polished to look nice and some nice wood...

might have to go to Home Despot later....

Then a ruddy duck flew in and I had to go back to work  :hammer:

yep it is a good Christmas day  :bigup:

:xmas:

Offline John_NY

• New Forum Member
  • I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy
    • J.B. Calls
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2008, 01:40:11 PM »
Couldn't you just wrap a little electrical tape around the threads?

John
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

JB Custom Calls