Author Topic: starting on the Christmas gifts....  (Read 3965 times)

Offline justannie

• New Forum Member
    • BKC Turkey Calls
starting on the Christmas gifts....
« on: December 06, 2008, 06:49:16 PM »
Time is tighter this year. So I decided upon something simple but useful as gifts. I'm making ice cream scoops and attaching money for them to go buy their favorite kind of ice cream. I know, it's just handle making, but what can I say.... it's a home made handle! lol This is the first scoop off the lathe. Not sure if I like the handle shape or not. That's why I left the mounting chunk still attached so I can still change my mind (and have to sand it good).

Bonnie K

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
Re: starting on the Christmas gifts....
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 07:47:11 PM »
 ;D  HEY!  I'm a big boy!  I can sure appreciate a gift like that!  Great work!

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 08:01:35 PM »
I think that looks great. That is a great looking wood. I like hand made gifts, they are a part of the person. As long as they are something that can be used. I'm making pens this year. Made the family pens about 3 years ago, so time to do it again. Folks love things they can use, like ice cream scoops, pens, bottle stoppers, and the like. In fact, I may have to make a few of those scoops up myself.  Great idea.

EDIT: OK I've been out looking for the ice cream scoop. Can't find it. Where did you get it from?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 08:08:30 PM by Braz »
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline johnboy

• New Forum Member
    • http://texasmesquiteturnings.com/
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 08:44:49 PM »
I think that looks great. That is a great looking wood. I like hand made gifts, they are a part of the person. As long as they are something that can be used. I'm making pens this year. Made the family pens about 3 years ago, so time to do it again. Folks love things they can use, like ice cream scoops, pens, bottle stoppers, and the like. In fact, I may have to make a few of those scoops up myself.  Great idea.

EDIT: OK I've been out looking for the ice cream scoop. Can't find it. Where did you get it from?

ice cream scoops are sold at CSUSA

about ur making/giving things to family.......few months ago i made and sent my mom a new peppermill for her b-day. i have also sent them pens, calls, bottle stoppers, etc over the years. her response was "well son, are you planning to send us any more things cause you have just about filled our house up w/your little knick knacks". ( i have maybe sent them 6 items total). i was speechless. my wife about peed in her pants from laughing so hard! moms pushing 85 so i guess she doesn't remember she REQUESTED that stuff i sent her. guess it is kinda funny.

callmaker60

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 08:44:59 PM »
Handle shape looks good to me...go for it.. ;)

Offline justannie

• New Forum Member
    • BKC Turkey Calls
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 08:54:30 PM »
Thanks everyone. I know just making handles isn't much as a 'handmade' item. But that's the first handle for anything I ever attempted lol I'm slow...... I did pens and potpourri pots last year, the year before it was bowls. So thought the scoops would be good enough for this year.
Bonnie K

Big Trestle

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2008, 08:55:08 PM »
The handle shape looks good to me also and that is a great idea as a gift

Tim

Offline Prairie Game Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Prairie Calls
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 02:28:08 PM »
Nice Job Annie I seen those bowls you made they were awesome too!

Larry
July Winner Of the Call Makers Throw Down!!
Listed in Earl Mickels Last Book
Silver Life Member NWTF

Offline John_NY

• New Forum Member
  • I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy
    • J.B. Calls
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 02:32:49 PM »
I like the handle. Sometimes the freezer freezes too good and you need a good grip to dig it out. LOL. I think it's a great gift.

John
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

JB Custom Calls