Author Topic: Lathe recommendation  (Read 3637 times)

wptaxidermy

Lathe recommendation
« on: May 13, 2013, 07:48:08 AM »
I'm looking to start wood turning, mostly to make turkey calls.  What would be the min. h.p. I should consider for turning pots?  Any other recommendations?

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
Re: Lathe recommendation
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 08:34:21 AM »
I would not suggest anything less than 1/2 hp.

I would suggest looking at Jet, Delta and Rikon for brands, and look at used ones if their prices are too high. 

Variable speed on the lathe is nice to have, but not a must.  It kicks the price up quite a bit. 

Vince
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline jcz

• New Forum Member
  • You want some??
    • Trophygamecalls
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 09:41:31 AM »
I agree with Vince. 1/2 hp and MT 2.

Check amazon for the brands mentioned above. They have good prices and free shipping sometimes. Shop around a bit and you can find a good deal.
August Call Makers Throwdown Winner
http://www.trophygamecalls.embarqspace.com/

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 12:33:58 PM »
First add your location to your profile, there just might be someone that lives near you so you can get hands on help.

Lathes, look for used lathes, there are a lot of people that have bought lathes thinking it will be their lifetime hobby, then it sits here for a few years and is sold.  But you need to know what you are buying, some lathes are great, some are great boat anchors.  Having a local mentor can save you a lot of MONEY.  Next, he lathe is only part of the expense, plan on at least another $500 for the other things you will want to have to make calls.

As said above, Jet, Delta and Rikon seem to be the lathes of choice.  Right now I am refurbishing a 1971 Delta, and I have a cost of about $350 in it, it has variable speed from 0 to 3000 RRM, reverse, and a cross slide like a metal lathe and it will do anything I ever want it to do.  You cannot get that lathe at the stores, you have to build it yourself and hope you can find the pieces and parts at a good used prices.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

wptaxidermy

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 01:21:44 PM »
Thanks guys.  I've seen some at Harbor Freight for $200/300.  I'm not sure how good the quality is though.  I do know a guy with a used Jet and will throw in a good chuck and starter tools for $800.  I'm sure hed be giving me a good deal but its more than I'd like to spend right now.  Lathe might be a little more h.p., size, etc. than I need right now too.

Offline Brian at DDT Game Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 02:30:00 PM »
I have one from PSI, but from all the praise on the Rikon, if I had to do it again I would go that route

Offline jcz

• New Forum Member
  • You want some??
    • Trophygamecalls
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 04:05:07 PM »
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=19446&site=ROCKLER

There is a link to my backup lathe. It is just like the PSI I have just different paint job.
August Call Makers Throwdown Winner
http://www.trophygamecalls.embarqspace.com/

Offline Brian Watts Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 04:14:52 PM »
I guess I just the odd one when I started I bought a  HF mini lathe . paid around 200 .used it for 3 yrs made 100 and 100  of calls and the other I turn is PENS turn 500 + of then with ZERO problems t hen sold it for 75 bucks..

bkjohnson

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 07:57:15 PM »

Lathes, look for used lathes, there are a lot of people that have bought lathes thinking it will be their lifetime hobby, then it sits here for a few years and is sold.  But you need to know what you are buying, some lathes are great, some are great boat anchors.  Having a local mentor can save you a lot of MONEY.  Next, he lathe is only part of the expense, plan on at least another $500 for the other things you will want to have to make calls.

Marvin

I have to agree with what dogcatcher says.  The lathe is only part of the expense.  There are a lot of other things that you will need.  As a newB to this, I am learning how expensive this can get.  Look for used lathes, you might come across a real good deal.  I found a Jet 1236 lightly used (as good as new) and paid $110 at an auction for it.  You don't always find that good of a deal, but they can be found. 

Offline Kendall Phillips

• New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 08:07:05 PM »
Totally agree with all of above.  Going to add a small piece of advise my pops taught me when I first started wood helping.....

He would start off any and every job with a fresh machine (like it was new from the box) would align, square, setup every time we walked in the shop.  He always would tell me, you can pay $10,000 for a fantastic Xxxxxx (what ever we was about to use), but if it isn't true, your work will show it.

There are a lot of moving parts to a lathe, get a yard sale special, take it apart and learn how to "true" it; you may find once you have it setup, it will be your favorite tool ever.

Good luck and happy hunting!

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2013, 10:08:02 PM »
$800 used for a full sizer might be a good deal, but its gonna be a lot more than what you need, and you can buy an AWESOME mini for that price new. 

Many of the HF lathes have one part or another that are MT1 rather than MT2 on one part or another, so watch out for that and factor it in.  Its quite a bit easier to come up with MT2 parts/centers/heads.

Vince
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls