Author Topic: making elk call guts out of wood  (Read 8092 times)

Offline D. CRUMP

• New Forum Member
making elk call guts out of wood
« on: May 11, 2013, 09:11:13 PM »
New to game call making I am interested in knowing if it is possible to make the guts for an elk call out of wood. If so i would appreciate it someone could post tutorial about it.
Thanks

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
Re: making elk call guts out of wood
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 10:24:27 PM »
You can make a predator toneboard type elk call.......similar to a open reed coyote howler.  You would just have to mess with your measurements in the toneboard, and your reed material to get something high pitched enough for your liking.

I have not ever seen a bite style set of toneboards made out of wood, but I'm sure it can be done.  I've seen lots of crow call sets made out of wood.  My concern would be, biting on the wood over and over could cause the wood toneboards to have stress on them that would not allow them to stand the test of time.

Please share your ideas while you work on this project. 

Vince
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline Marshall's Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 10:34:03 PM »
I'm in the experiment process for a cow elk call out of wood, the bite reed style... I just made a crow call that was pretty close, so I shouldn't have much more work to do!
David Marshall, of Marshall's Custom Calls

Austy

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 08:51:45 AM »
When I first started experimenting on making my Open Reed Elk Cow Calls the first couple of sets of tone boards were made out of wood and worked well, for a while.  As Vince said I too had some concerns about repeatedly bitting down on the wooden tone board time after time.  What I did notice when I was experimenting was that even if you seal the wood tone boards good that after time from repeated bitting the seal looses its effect and when that happens the reed starts to stick to the tone board from the saliva build up in the wood.  Hence I switched to making my tone boards out of Delrin or antler.  But bottom line you can make them out of wood.  Good luck!!!