Author Topic: How To Make A Trumpet  (Read 29434 times)

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
Re: How To Make A Trumpet
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2008, 12:30:40 AM »
Marvin I like that logic. On both fronts. The trumpet was just to prove it an be done. Great job!!  And I love the turkey hunting logic. Hell, he tastes just he same!
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2008, 06:27:58 PM »
I catch a little flack about my theory on turkey hunting, but what is the difference if a hunter has a vest full of calls, a $1000 shotgun, a couple of decoys and a full blown camo rig?   I see my method just as sportsman like as theirs.   I just use the "call of the feeder" instead of vest full of calls.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2008, 10:25:47 PM »
Heck yea, I agree with you. And the darned turkey probably tastes better getting all that grain and all.  ;D
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline Walls Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2008, 10:46:52 PM »
That not HUNTING.  This sounds just like what you described.  I buy my beef from a private farmer.  Heres how it goes.  I call and order a beef, I stop by and we let one of the animals out in the farmers yard where there is a pile of corn, animal eats at corn pile, meat locker guy walks up, plugs it in the middle of the head with a 22, hangs it, loads it in his truck, and moves on to the next farm.   He is as much a hunter as someone who uses the method you describe.
Sorry to hijack but up here we have been fighting the canned "hunts" for years. It is still illegal here in MN but WI allows it and it has about ruined thier deer heard with CWD.

CW
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 10:48:28 PM by Walls Calls »

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2008, 11:22:02 PM »
Canned hunting has nothing to do with CWD.  The first known CWD cases were in areas where no canned hunts were ever held.  In fact they do not really know what causes CWD it is really just a theory of what causes it.

http://www.cwd-info.org/index.php/fuseaction/about.faqDetail/ID/ffd8b8cbaa1e802683f9b519b1e7d8ba

Marvin

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2008, 12:12:59 AM »
I'm not a huge turkey hunter, but I do love calling game animals, any game animal.   Especially with a call I made, or one a friend made for me.

Killing sort of ends it.  Here in NH, we can only take one turkey.  Our season is only a month long.  I would rather let turkeys walk every day just so I can have an excuse to go out and call them again. 

If I want a tureky dinner, I'll stop off and buy a butter ball.  The joy is in the calling.   The hunting.  There is no real joy in the killing for in many cases, it ends the season. 

This is why I do not hunt over bait, or food plots.  I am out there to pit my calling skills against the animals senses. 

Killing an animal is not hard.  In many cases you can do it from 300 or more yards away.  But when you get them so close you can see the puzzled look on their face as they try to figure out what that green blob is that is making the sounds like a sweat young hen or a doe in heat, or a dying rabbit, that's FUN!  that's why I am out there, and that is why I make calls. 

Al @ THO
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 12:14:46 AM by Al_at_THO »

Offline Walls Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2008, 04:36:34 AM »
I guess canned hunts was the wrong wording for what I was saying.  CWD is a viral infection.  It is spread here in the Great Lakes regions at the feeding stations and cattle feed lots.  We have had a few years of special intensive (I believe it was Unlimited @$10 each tag not sure I don't hunt them timber rats) seasons in certain areas that are infected in northern MN.  Wisconsin allows hunting over bait, MN does not.  Wisconsin has a bigger CWD problem than we do and they blaim it on the fact that deer are held in bigger herds than normal because if the baiting.  In my opinion hunting over bait is no differant than a high fence "canned" hunt.  Marvin I know that you are in Texas where they have both forms of target shooting. To that I'll add that in my opinion that style of what every you want to call it is not hunting in my book. Up here we have 5 day  season that is chosen by lottery, or you can go 14 days with stick and string at the end of our 8 time periods.  Nothing is for sure, and I actually have more fun taking buddies out and calling for them than I do hunting myself.   ;D By the way if any of you feeder hunters want to harvest something big, I'm going to be getting a Pig mid April and a Beef around the Fourth of July. Of course I get the meat. ;D

CW

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2008, 09:31:28 AM »
Marvin,

You're thoroughly confusing me by your turkey hunting bashing comments.  All animals have to come to food.  All animals could be hunted in the same way.  Why do you decide turkey hunting is so lowly?   ???

Do you hunt with the calls you make?  You tend to make predator calls most of the time, correct?  Do you get enjoyment out of calling predators in with your calls, or are they just turned wood?   ???  You could just put traps around a dead chicken and not have to use any of your predator calls.   :-\

Parker
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 10:05:25 AM by Parker »
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2008, 09:48:56 AM »
Parker,

This goes beyond the turkey hunting aspect of things, and is really, I think, directed at a group of people who shuned predator and waterfoul hunters as being Not Worthy of their organization.

Marvin is cool.  He makes great calls, and he hunt legally.  Not much more can be said about that.

On the other hand, I know TWO poachers who are well loved by memebers of another board.   

Give Dogcatcher a break.   Please.

AL @ THO

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2008, 10:05:01 AM »
I'm totally fine with saying that trumpet call making and use is not some kind of mystery.  I'm not fine with bashing turkey hunting as a whole.  Everyone has their passion, and as you can probably tell, mine is turkey hunting and turkey call making. 

I agree with what Marvin is trying to do with the trumpet making stuff.  I disagree with throwing all turkey hunters and turkey hunting under the bus. 

I can't see the difference in one kind of hunting over another.  I don't break them up like that.  I say go do what ever helps you get your jollies.

I'm not referring to anything about poaching, because I know baiting is legal in many states.

And past that, I'll  :-X

Parker 
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 10:07:58 AM by Parker »

VECtor Custom Calls

Bucko

« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2008, 10:41:26 AM »

I'll make one post on the subject in discussion.My favorite turkey call is the wingbone,it's gotten me turkey replies that others haven't and I've been successful with it.I'm working on a trumpet call to use this spring to compare to the effect of the wingbone for the fun of it.I love calling turkeys aand dedicated much time 17 yrs. ago to help start w/4 other guys the local chapter of the NWTF.
 Several yrs. ago I made two trips to West Texas to hunt turkeys,the ranch owner owned 25,000 acres with access to a total of 250,000 acres.He started the turkey hunting to help cover cost of running a beef operation.For fun he and others would super glue corn onto leghold traps and wait for turkeys to peck the trigger paddle[their idea of turkey hunting].The second year he told us hunters he preferred turkey hunters over the deer hunters as the turkey hunters were more serious on the hunting/calling and atitude.After that he raised his prices as the turkey hunting market increased.Just my short little thoughts that came to mind as I caught up on the subject.

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2008, 11:00:23 AM »
I apologise for the cheap shot that I took at a few "elite" trumpet people. 

For the CWD comment, there has been NO confirmed cases in Texas, so the "canned" hunt or the baiting method of hunting has nothing to do with CWD.  If you do the research even the scientists don't know the cause of CWD.

Turkey hunting and deer hunting in West Texas, in the county that our place is located we can shoot 5 deer and 4 turkeys, all of the water in about a 2 mile radius is locate on it.  Food sources include the cattle feeders and wildlife feeders.  Without these 2 sources of food there would be minimal wildlife.

Predator hunting, we do anything that is legal, including night hunts, baiting, high racks, and spot lighting to stop the predators from killing livestock and game animals.  There is even a poison program usually going on, along with a "birth" control pellet.

Now for the way I hunt, I am a 100% disabled Vet, I use a walker to get around, I am blind in one eye, so I don't feel I have to give reasons or "excuses" to anyone as to how I hunt as long as it is legal.  If the state of Texas has no problem with it neither do I.

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2008, 11:20:50 AM »
I don't feel I have to give reasons or "excuses" to anyone as to how I hunt as long as it is legal.  If the state of Texas has no problem with it neither do I.

HEAR HEAR! 

Thank you for your service to our country too Marvin.   :)

Parker

VECtor Custom Calls

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2008, 11:36:11 AM »
He forgot to tell you guys he is retired from the Post Office too.   So - a postal guy with a gun....

I wouldn't piss him off it were me  LOL.

Love ya Marvin.  You are a hell of a call maker and good guy all around.  You tell it like you see it,  Got to repsect that!

AL @ THO

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2008, 12:17:14 PM »
Al,

You have to admit, I am a strange combination, a disgruntled retired postal worker and deranged Vietnam Vet.  But my shrink keeps telling me I am okay?

Marvin