Author Topic: How To Make A Trumpet  (Read 29648 times)

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
Re: How To Make A Trumpet
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2008, 12:50:57 AM »
You know, I dont think any of us mentioned that it was a pretty darn nice looking call too.

Came out great.  I like the dye job. 

AL @ THO

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2008, 09:07:25 PM »
Hey Dogcatcher

Your tutorial has been posted on the main site.  I gave you TOP billing!

From all of us

THANK YOU

AL @ THO

Offline HaMeR

• New Forum Member
    • brightwoodturnings
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2008, 09:24:24 PM »
Congrats Dogcatcher!!  8)
RIP Russ,Blaine,& Darrell!!

Glen

2014-15TBC-- 11

Offline Troy of Run -N- Gun Game Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2008, 10:08:48 PM »
Thanks Marvin and Al for another fine piece of work.

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2008, 12:31:24 AM »
Thanks to Al for posting the tutorial, to everyone else thanks for the comments.  I hope this inspires everyone to make at least one trumpet, even a field grade version like the one I made will give a great sense of accomplishment. 

If you ever really want to know what the secret is about trumpets, read what Al said, that is the answer to all of the "secrets".  There really is no secret to making a trumpet.  From all of the research I did I came to the same conclusion, there are no real secrets. 

Have fun and enjoy.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline Walls Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2008, 01:58:48 AM »
Marvin

I see you posted some stuff on the other site about these also.  While I was reading it I noticed something strange.  The one who is talking about how you need to know how to use them before making one just made his first ones less than a month ago.  Whats up with that?

CW

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2008, 10:33:06 AM »
I think you are confusing two people - the guy who made the trumpets is Preston  G8orbait or something like that,

the guy answering the questions was Gr8Calls or what ever.  They are two different people.   

I used to get them confused too.   Twin sons of different mothers LOL

AL @ THO

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2008, 11:49:11 AM »
I feel that the statement that was made on the other forum is all part of the smoke and mirrors screen that has kept callmakers from making trumpets.  As I studied all of the information I could find, there was always that statement made, but no one ever explained why.  The process of making a trumpet is mechanical.  Playing the trumpet would be helpful, but it is not necessary to be an "expert" as is being preached.

To tune a trumpet for a specific individual is a different story, but you will not find that most trumpets are made in that fashion, most trumpets are made on "spec" or speculation that the maker will be able to sell it to someone.  Once the trumpet is made it is possible to re tune it, but it would be very difficult if not almost impossible.

Marvin

Offline Hawks Feather

• New Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2008, 03:25:43 PM »
After looking this over, I may have to give it a try one of these days.  I just need to follow the directions and see what happens.

Thanks to both Marvin for the initial post and Al for making it into a tutorial.

Jerry
Hawk's Feather Calls
Jerry L. Latta
220 Main Street
Defiance, OH  43512-2316
Hawks_Feather@mac.com
http://www.hawksfeathercustompredatorcalls.com/
CPCMCA  http://www.custompredatorcallassociation.com/

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2008, 05:33:38 PM »
Hey, give me a link to the post on the other site so I can look it over. I think I know which site, but I'll let you tell me. If you would rather, you can PM me the link. Thanks.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2008, 07:31:04 PM »
The secret to this method is the mandrel system, the current method of making trumpets using a center steady rest will soon be obsolete.  All of the research lead to the trumpet turners using steady rests instead of a mandrel system, a system that works but is a lot more work than doing it between centers with a mandrel system.

I started to make up a drilling guideline for the trumpet but I feel that the info I already gave is about as accurate as it can be.  There are way too many factors that determine the final sound.  Every thing from the wood, to the thickness of the barrel.  And as if that is not enough the user also is the ultimate factor of what the sound will be when played.  Beside if you want to make a trumpet and it actually be your trumpet you have to do some of the experimenting.

Marvin

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2008, 07:56:32 PM »
Uh - I was kind of hoping for some blue prints.   You know, detailed engineer drawings or such?

And if you dont mind, could you maybe drill out a nice piece of wood for me, maybe turn it too?  Don't worry about the finish, I'll do that after I sign it.

(man he is gonna whoop my butt)

AL @ THO

Offline Troy of Run -N- Gun Game Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2008, 08:06:34 PM »
There you go Dogcatcher,you got a market predrilled trumpit blanks.All you have to do is turn and finish.

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2008, 10:40:45 PM »
One of my goals in this project was to make one, then have someone that knows how to use it give me their opinion.  I did that, during the project I kept hearing all of this "stuff" about secrets, well after all of this time I found out that there is no real secrets, just a lot of smoke and mirrors.  The ones that I made are in 2 collections, both got the stamp of approval from my expert, so I am satisfied and finished with trumpet making. 

Now I will tell you how you do the spring turkey hunt, you wait until the deer feeder goes off.  First the deer will come to the feeder, then the turkeys will come, you pick one out and then with a 22 you pop his head off.  Why waste the time with calls, camo etc.

Marvin