Author Topic: How To Make A Trumpet  (Read 29422 times)

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
How To Make A Trumpet
« on: March 20, 2008, 11:48:36 AM »

How I make a trumpet.  First this is my way, it may not be anybody else's way or it maybe the way everyone does it, I don't know.  All of the figures for drilling distances are generalized, and are within the measurements of the trumpets I used as test subjects to come up with my version of the trumpet.  You will have to refine them to whatever sound you want.  There are a lot of variables, the choice of wood, your finish, all of the lengths that you drill, the thickness of the wood of the barrel, and last but not least the caller.

Taking apart a trumpet,  First the barrel, the lengths varied from 4 5/8" to 7" long.  Then the inside, from the mouthpiece to the exhaust, they all started out as 1/8" hole, then increased to 1/4" and then flared out to 1/2" to 9/16".  The last figure could actually be increased to 1' but I chose to stop before the final 1/4" ending of the flares.  This appeared to be more decorative than functional and that was proven by making copies of the some of the trumpets without the additional flare.  The greatest differences was in the lengths of the step drilling and the taper.  So I did an average of all of them for making this trumpet, then adjusted as I went along.

This is what I come up with, first take a 1x1 blank and turn it between center to make a 3/4" dowel.  I used cherry, but any hardwood will do..

Next I started the drilling.  I used a collet chuck as it worked the best for me, a 4 jaw chuck should be able to work also, but I did not test it.   First drilling from the exhaust end, drill about 3 1/2" with a 1/4" bit.  Do not overheat the wood, you will  be turning this pretty thin, if you over heat the wood you may get some surprise cracks.

Then ream out the 1/4" hole with a 3/8" or a 5/16" bit but ream it only about 2 1/2".  This will leave you with a step drill affect.

The next step is to create the taper of the inside of the barrel.  After measuring all of my trumpets, I found that a #1MT reamer was the closest to the taper in most of them, 2 were almost perfect fits, the others were within what I would consider close tolerance.  Besides a commercial reamer is a lot cheaper than a custom made reamer.  Remember to back it out often and not to overheat the wood.

The next step I consider optional, this is the flaring of the exhaust bell, I feel it is more decorative than functional, there are 2 ways to do it, one is to use a chisel to make the flare the other is to use a handheld reamer in the tailstock.

Or

Now do all of the sanding in the bore.  This again is mostly cosmetic, but a sloppy sand job also detracts from the call.

Reverse the blank in the collet chuck.  You are now ready to drill the mouthpiece end.  First drill with a 6" long aircraft drill bit, 1/8" diameter, these have short flutes so you will have to back it out quite often.

The next step is to make a seat for the Delrin mouthpiece.  I will be using a 3/8" diameter piece for the mouthpiece.  Drill the hole 1/2" deep, the 1/2" deep is so the mandrel will be able get a good seat in the end.

We are now ready to mount the blank on the specialty mandrels.  Notice that one of them has a tapered end.  This is a close #1MT that will fit into the exhaust bore of the barrel. the other end will fit into a collet chuck on the headstock.  The other is a piece of 3/8" steel rod that will fit into the mouthpiece where we drilled the 3/8" hole, it also has a 60 degree center on the ends to fit the live center.

Turn the call to shape, here I am adding a tenon to put a compression nut on the end for a ferrule.  A 3/8" compression nut will just let your mouthpiece slide through the hole, a perfect fit.  Finish sanding all of the outside of the barrel.

Here are the final pieces of the barrel and the mandrels.  This is ready to finish or as I will do, dye it.  Again look at the mandrels, these do not have to be metal, make the headstock end out of a piece of hard wood and it will be fine, the other end can be made with a piece of wood also.

Now for the mouthpiece.  Mouth pieces were from 2 3/4" long to 3 7/8" long, for this trumpet I chose 3".   Using the collet chuck mount a 3" piece of 3/8" Delrin.  Start with a 3/32" standard jobbers drill bit, drill as far as you can then switch to an extra long aircraft bit to drill the rest of the way through.  Do not over heat the Delrin or stop drilling with the bit inside.  Delrin will melt and turn back solid and freeze your bit inside of the Delrin.

Now turn your mouthpiece to shape.  All that is left is the lip stop, I made it before the photo so no before photo just an after version.  For the lip stop I use EVA foam.  It is the material that fishing rod builders use to make rod handles.  It doesn't have that awful rubber smell and it is easy to shape using a chisel or a coarse file.  Then it can be sanded, works like balsa wood.

Here all of the pieces. 

And the final product.

A few other things I found out, the finish must be a good one, both inside and out, a good finish on the inside makes the sounds lot more crisp, a sorry finish and the sound will be dull and muffled. 

Make the call to make the sound you want, it is your trumpet, if no one else likes the sound, then you may have to rethink if you really like that sound that much.  Once you get past all of the so called mysteries of the trumpet you will find that there really isn't that big of a mystery.  Most of the mystery is really just a myth.  Also remember that the drilling distance I used for this trumpet are just guidelines, you will have to adjust them to whatever you need to get the sound that you are looking for.

This is not the only way to make a trumpet, nor is it the easiest or the cheapest, but it is the way I came up with.  Tomorrow I may have a completely different way to make a trumpet.  The steel mandrels are not necessary, they can be made from wood and will function properly. 

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
Re: How To Make A Trumpet
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 12:55:46 PM »

Very good writeup Marvin.  I just may have to learn how to use one of those thingy's now. ;D

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline HaMeR

• New Forum Member
    • brightwoodturnings
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 01:01:16 PM »
Now you gone & done it Marvin!! You just gave away all their trade secrets & peesed them off!!  :o

;D

Actually I think that is a very well written article & I think it's worthy of the title "Trumpet Tutorial".  8)

JMHO of course.  ;)
RIP Russ,Blaine,& Darrell!!

Glen

2014-15TBC-- 11

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 01:19:36 PM »
Thanks for the comments.  It was fun doing it, I hope it it helps all of the people that want to try to make a trumpet.

Brian, we don't need calls in Texas, we just wait for the deer feeders to go off and the turkeys come to breakfast.

HaMeR, how could I be giving away all of "their" trade secrets?  These are my trade secrets, they would never share theirs.

Marvin

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 02:19:52 PM »
Marvin, a bit tip of the hat to you for putting this information up. It is great. It is very well done, the pictures and the text follow wonderfully, and it is easy to follow. Just a superb job of presentation.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline Troy of Run -N- Gun Game Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 03:39:19 PM »
Very nice Marvin,I hope the trumpit mafia don't come looking for ya.If they do let me now, I always wanted to go to Texas for some hunting.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 04:18:48 PM by twalter4 »

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 06:46:12 PM »
Braz and Twalter4. thanks for the comments.  Twalter I have it covered, I am retired disgruntled postal worker and a deranged Vietnam Vet, or at least that is what a few people tell me.

Back to the tutorial, everyone has to remember that these are just guidelines that are listed.  You will need to do some work to come up with your sound, to do that your first have to know how to use the trumpet.  After you learn how to use a trumpet or even a wing bone call then fine tuning your trumpets will come a lot easier.  You will find that your wood choice, your finish, all of the lengths and the thickness of the barrel will all have an effect on the sound.  But the real kicker is the individual caller, ideally you would make each trumpet for an individual one at a time.  If you are just making them to sell to whoever will buy them things become a little more complicated, then it is up to the callmaker to make a generic version.

Marvin

Bucko

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 08:18:07 PM »
Nice Job Marvin,I'm going to use some of your methods towards my trumpet call.

Offline Walls Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 02:20:00 AM »
Looks good. I suppose you are going to sell a few of these.  How much you think these will go for?
CW

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2008, 12:49:57 PM »
CW

Right now I don't have any plans on making trumpets to sell.  This entire venture into making trumpets was to prove to myself and the trumpet makers that there really is no big secret about trumpets.   Now everyone that wants to try their hand at making a trumpet has a basic set of instructions to guide them to making a trumpet

Marvin

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2008, 02:59:12 PM »
Nicely Done Dogcatcher.   

This is one that deserves being put in the Tutorial Section of the web site.  With your permission, I will work it up this weekend.

If you would I rather not, just say the word. 

In either case, thank you for a very informative tutorial.  Very professionaly done.

Al @ THO
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 03:12:35 PM by Al_at_THO »

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2008, 04:37:02 PM »
Al,

It is yours to do with as you want.  I think a tutorial will  be a great asset to all of the callmakers that want to attempt to make a trumpet.  Being that this is more of the mechanics of building a trumpet each callmaker will be able to "tune" it to their own sound.

Marvin

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2008, 05:05:16 PM »
Here is a little more information that might be helpful.

I found that there are popular 3 sizes of holes in mouth pieces that can be used, 3/32", #45, and 5/64" holes.  Each hole size will give you a different tone from a mature hen to a young hen.  This can also be attained by changing the barrel lengths, wall thickness, and the drilling lengths, but changing mouthpieces is easier.

Shorter barrels give you a higher pitch, the longer the barrel the lower the pitch.  While you are stretching or shortening your barrel remember that the length of the drilled parts also have to be adjusted, you cannot cut off 2 inches of the bottom of the barrel and leave all of the drilling the same.

The walls of the barrel are also a factor in the pitch, a thicker wall is higher pitched than a thinner wall and a thin wall is more raspy than a thick wall.  But don't forget all of the other factors that also come into play.

The finish, a great finish will provide a better sound than a poor finish. Also moisture in the wood will affect the sound, so a good finish inside and out is imperative.  Wood will absorb moisture from the air, a good finish will not stop it but at least slow it down.  The moisture content will also affect the pitch or tonal qualities of the call.

Wood choice, soft woods are like mufflers on your vehicle, they muffle the sound.  You want a good quality hardwood so that none of the hard work you have done to make this call sound good is absorbed into the walls of the call.  A softer wood with a great finish will also work

Lip stop info, best source for lip stop material is the fishing rod building catalogs.  Look for EVA foam rod handles.  Some of them even have colored EVA foam.  Forget those nasty smelling rubber stoppers, that is for the beginners.

Drilling and sanding the trumpet, make sure you do NOT overheat the wood.  You will be turning the barrel pretty thin, if you over heat the wood you can cause stress cracks.  Not much fun to see a crack develope the day after you spend all day working on a barrel. 

All you need to do is make it with the sound that you like, of all the trumpets I have they all vary a little, even from day t day  the sound can vary just because of the temperature and humidity and the way it used.

Marvin

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2008, 05:08:05 PM »
Good work Marvin.  Looks like you've come up with a great way to skin a cat!   8)

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2008, 12:19:22 AM »
Marvin, that is great. I don't know if I will ever attempt to make a trumpet, but it sure is nice knowing there will be a tutorial available to get me heading in the right direction if I decide to try it. Thanks for all your hard work. Although, I'll bet you enjoyed every minute of it.  ;D
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”