Author Topic: black ash burl  (Read 5563 times)

Offline Kyle Hayes

• New Forum Member
Re: black ash burl
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2013, 08:37:16 PM »
Awesome story.....and a pretty good looking call i must say also!

Offline HTM_Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2013, 06:40:28 PM »
Awesome story and beautiful call! Might I ask why you sleeved coco into the insert? Is the ash burl to brittle or not dense enough to get a good sounds? Not having worked with any burl or black ash just curious.

Offline Gouldman

• New Forum Member
  • Goulds Custom Calls & Custom Bands
    • Gould's Custom Calls
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2013, 06:46:50 PM »
 :yes: Very nice Aaron.... 
Of all the things I've lost while call making...its my mind I miss the most.
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2013, 07:58:53 PM »
Awesome story and beautiful call! Might I ask why you sleeved coco into the insert? Is the ash burl to brittle or not dense enough to get a good sounds? Not having worked with any burl or black ash just curious.

There's no grain direction to burls, and especially black ash burl.  The cork notch would pop off in a second and the toneboard might or might not sound worth a hoot.  Sleeving a known/reliable wood into a highly figured wood or a wood without good sound properties is a pretty common technique.

Offline Ulrich's Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2013, 08:34:32 PM »
Awesome call. That wood is sick looking and I love the finish.

Corey

Barry @ WildThings

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2013, 08:57:52 PM »

There's no grain direction to burls, and especially black ash burl.  The cork notch would pop off in a second and the toneboard might or might not sound worth a hoot.  Sleeving a known/reliable wood into a highly figured wood or a wood without good sound properties is a pretty common technique.

Is there any info on sleeving in this forum that you know of - like a tutorial

WT

Offline Creekside Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2013, 10:41:32 PM »
Very beautiful call ! I'm sure he loved that one.  :2up:
Dont take life for granted and live it to its fullest !

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2013, 12:49:14 AM »
Barry,
No tutorial that I'm aware of but it is pretty easy.  Turn the toneboard section 5/8"-ish to fit in your jig, then turn a male end on it 1/2" diameter at least an inch long.  Drill a corresponding hole in the wood that will show on the insert (black ash burl in this case), using a brad point bit to ensure you have a flat bottomed hole.  Without a flat bottomed hole you'll end up with a void in your exhaust bore when you drill the exhaust out.  I stop mine short of the exhaust end so the sleeved wood doesn't show, but you could run it all the way through.  Epoxy or thoroughly glue the two pieces together and let dry.  Then grab the 5/8" end in the collet chuck and turn and drill your insert.  Takes a little practice but honestly it isn't all that tough.  Just a lot of extra steps.

Barry @ WildThings

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2013, 10:57:24 PM »
Thanks Aaron. I'm making a trade call for a guy on Woodbarter out of some Yellow Cedar Birds Eeye Burl and don't have enough for the entire insert. Thought this would be the best way to salvage the rest of the burl

Barry