Author Topic: Short reed goose call barrel length?  (Read 9959 times)

Offline HVF21221

• New Forum Member
Short reed goose call barrel length?
« on: March 20, 2008, 08:39:08 AM »
I know everyone does it different but I am just starting to fool aroung with short reed goose calls. Can anyone suggest a starting point for length of the barrel? It will have a bore of 3/4" and be using guts purchased online. Do people consider the overall length important or the inside length from the end of the guts to the end of the barrel? (I hope that makes sense) Because I assume the gut set can vary in depth into the barrel.
Thanks, Howard

Offline Bob from Eames Custom Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • Eames Custom Calls
Re: Short reed goose call barrel length?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 10:36:20 AM »
I started with a barrel length of 3 1/4"  on mine, and worked from there. Alot of the length demands are dictated by the gut set you use. PM me if you need help.

Bob
My biggest fear is that I'll die and my wife will sell my callmaking supplies for what I told her they cost.....

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 02:51:38 PM »

Bob,

I am not seeing the correlation with barrel length and the guts.  Can you explain why the barrel length is affected by the different gut sets?  Is it due to things like turbulant air flow?

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline Bob from Eames Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
  • Eames Custom Calls
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 03:20:04 PM »
It was explained to me as being a Resonant Cavity. Basically the upper chamber in a short reed has a certain amount of volume to it. Every set of guts has a quescient or Q point where the harmonics associated with the vibration of the reed don't cancel each other out, and instead add together. This makes it louder and clearer at that point. Unfortunately every gut set is different and therefore so must be the volume. If you get your chamber size correct for a similar gut set, you can make small changes in the volume by changin the depth of your gut set. I will tell you that the quality of the gut sets and reeds especially have alot to do with how much tuning is required to find that Q point. I hope this helps, I'm trying to explain it without getting too techincal.

Bob
My biggest fear is that I'll die and my wife will sell my callmaking supplies for what I told her they cost.....

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 07:34:09 PM »
Look at necking down from the 3/4's to 5/8's at the mouth end.  My inserts are 7/8, so I go from 7/8 to 3/4 to 5/8 in 3 1/8".

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Bonjour

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 08:45:26 PM »
Howard, I have been dinking around with barrel lengths as well and found that 2 3/4 works well for me. I think the stopper length is just as or more important to the sound and ease of use. I started making my exhausts 3 1/2 total with a 1/2 for the tenon. I like the way it sounds and the ease of the way it blows.

Offline CollierCalls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 10:54:15 PM »
I make my short reed goose call barrells 3 5/8 in. I also use a 5/8th hole.  and seems to work just fine.
Tim

Offline okinpa

• New Forum Member
    • waterfowlcallsbygoose
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 12:19:19 AM »
i've to tinkered with short-reed design,an different gut set's..
i decided what worked for me an went with barrel 3 1/8 inch.
which is stepped from 7/8 to 3/4 to 5/8. then wood rasped down on the inside.
an right were the gut's an reed's would set in the barrel i use a ball rasp to hollow it out round just alittle...make's a sound camber.
an allow's for enough air flow so no lock up or freeze on the reed.

the exhaust end is 2 3/4 with a gut sert attatched which the id of gut's is 5/8.
i noticed the gut-sert's/tenon.needed to be sanded on a disc sander to move the gut's back just alittle for me to find the sweet spot.

i also shave my reed's,but i use a step shave.

see-ya
steve
 :)

« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 12:20:52 AM by okinpa »
make'em---blow'em---an fold'em

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 12:25:33 AM »
Steve, Do you rasp out the inside for looks, or does it affect your sound?  I've never thought of a way to smooth up that inside, and you just told me how.  Thanks!  (Dunno if I'll do it that way, but its good to know how to!)   ;D

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline okinpa

• New Forum Member
    • waterfowlcallsbygoose
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 01:24:55 AM »
 :)hello parker it does affect the sound...because you are createing a smooth bored barrel.
taper....
geezzz,this is hard to explain...ummmm.
think of it this way.you going from small to big then dropping into small again were the resonate sound is constricted then released into a bigger chamber or a smaller chamber..

i make a hybrid call useing the same dimension's but use a 5/8 id bore the whole way out on the exhaust end of exhaust with a very small chamfer.never really like the big chamfer on the end for volume..i really don't think you need it.
if you design your inside bore with the gut's.an find the right exhaust length an id.

hope this help's,an if anyone else know's what i'm trying to say please help me clarify..

see-ya
steve
 :)

« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 01:28:57 AM by okinpa »
make'em---blow'em---an fold'em