The Art of Handcrafting Custom Game Calls > Handcrafting Traditional Reelfoot Duck Calls

Reelfoot reeds/reed presses

(1/4) > >>

Henry H:
After finding and blowing on my first antique reelfoot call, I have become very interested in making them.  The tutorials posted here are fantastic - thanks!  Are there sources for reeda, or do you all make your own?  Assuming the latter, can you offer me aome guidance on materials and sources, and also how I might go about having a die/press made without spending a fortune?

J.Rode:
I do not have a reed press, therefore I cut and file my own.  I use .005 stainless steel shim stock for my reed material.  You can buy it in sheets and they are fairly inexpensive.  The last stuff I bought from Lyon Industries.  You can search SS shim stock and you will find the several people sell it.  You can also use phosphors bronze shim stock as well.  I have no advice on a press since I dont have one and not really in the market for one, but FDR might have some insight, I believe he has one. 

Good luck,
Jason

dogcatcher:
For metal reeds I found some jeweler's tin snips at Otto Frei that were made in Germany.  Started with the cheap ones, $15, went with the straight blades and then went to the high dollar $23 ones with the curved blades.  They work better than anything else I have tried.  http://www.ottofrei.com/search.php?mode=search&page=1

Marvin

Braz:
Marvin, I was never able to find the tin snips at th elink you provided.

Henry H:
Thanks, guys.  Do you find repeatability of reeds difficult, or not much if an issue?  Do you use a basic flat jig for your insert, have a reelfoot specific one, or do youuse a homemade jig or solution.

Braz, I think the snips he bought are these part numbers:  153.800 and 153.802

Marvin, why the preference for the rounded?  Cleaner cuts, ease of use?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version