Author Topic: How long til you're a custom call maker?  (Read 5373 times)

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
How long til you're a custom call maker?
« on: March 19, 2008, 04:59:16 PM »
It doesn't look like we have a poll here, but since the debate is going, I thought I'd ask everyone's opinions.   ;D

HOW LONG SHOULD A PERSON WAIT TO CALL THEMSELVES A CUSTOM CALL MAKER?!  

;D

I'm sure this will get a wide variety of responses!  

*Note.....the debate is not WHAT makes a custom call, cause that one has been debated over and over.   ;D

Personally, I called myself "Crawford's Turkey Calls" for about the first month, and then just went by "VECtor" from there.  Then, when I made my logo about 2 years in, I decided to call it "VECtor Custom Calls".  I just had my 5 year anniversary of making calls this month.

I also wanna say this for the fun of it.   ;D  I consider myself a call maker, not a wood polisher.   ;D  It don't have to be pretty for me to use it in the woods, and it don't have to be pretty to help in the harvest of wildlife, I PROMISE!  It has to SOUND LIKE THE GAME YOU ARE AFTER!   :D

I'll preach time and time again......become a woodsman, not a killer.  

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

blacky

Re: How long til you're a custom call maker?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 09:08:49 PM »
Parker, I have been a turkey call maker for close to 30 years and just last summer started turning pots and strikers. I have signed those calls with GENE'S CUSTOM CALLS and my signature. I also date them. Now, I use the term CUSTOM because I make these calls mostly by request from an individual. That makes it custom. I also realize that there are great custom call makers and some not so great. I consider myself in the latter of those two catagories.

Maybe we should create 2 classes, Great and Not So Great.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Hawks Feather

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 09:28:37 PM »
Well, I added Custom Predator Calls to my website name so that it would get hits from people looking for them in search engines.  As for if I think I am or not doesn't really matter to me - I am better than some and also worse than some.  I don't see the title as a biggie, if my calls are appreciated by the people that get them, that is a biggie.

Jerry
Hawk's Feather Calls
Jerry L. Latta
220 Main Street
Defiance, OH  43512-2316
Hawks_Feather@mac.com
http://www.hawksfeathercustompredatorcalls.com/
CPCMCA  http://www.custompredatorcallassociation.com/

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 10:50:39 PM »

I don't know if there is a time duration that you should have to wait to call yourself a custom call maker, but I feel as if there are some moments that have to occur that aren't really time dependant.

Here are a few moments that I can think of that come to mind:

1) The maker is comfortable with selling calls to anybody and is willing to stand behind them
2) The maker has taken game with thier own calls.
3) Other folks have taken game with the maker's calls.
4) The maker starts getting requests for his/her calls.

Then there are a few more moments that occur to get to the next level in call making status.
5) People can ask the call maker to make a call, and specify how they want it to sound.  Stuff like, "Can you make me a call that does ________ and ________, while still maintaining ________?"  And if the maker says, yes I can do that, or knows if it is impossible to do what the requester is wanting.
7) A master custom call maker essentialy knows what variables to modify to get the desired sound out of the call.
8.) A master custom call maker can make the perfect desired sound on the first attempt on that particular call.  ie A call built right the first time with no scrap when building a call to specific sound requests.

Just thinking out loud.

Brian

You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline HaMeR

• New Forum Member
    • brightwoodturnings
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 10:55:55 PM »
I think each individual would have to decide that for/of themselves.

Here's my reasoning if it matters. I started out making ink pens. Then I progressed to turning wooden ink pens. I'm in the midst of building a website now that will offer Custom Pens. I think I'm ready to be a Custom Pen Builder. The reason I think this way is because I have sent a few pens out to the people that I respect the most on these Forums. I felt these fellas would give me an honest & unbiased opinion of what I do. I feel they have. So with their blessings,, unbeknownst to them possibly,, I now consider myself a Custom Pen Builder.

AL & Jerry are just a couple guys that I sent pens to. Trust me,, these two will tell you the cold hard truth about what you sent them. That is why I will link to their sites from mine. Heck,, they even use them too!!  ;D ;D

JMHO
RIP Russ,Blaine,& Darrell!!

Glen

2014-15TBC-- 11

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 11:38:41 PM »
Mine is sitting right here on my desk within sight.  Touch it and DIE.

Nuf said about that LOL

I am a call maker.  I do not describe myself as a Custom Call Maker but do have that title on my web sites for the same reasons Jerry does.   It seems googe and other search engines are taking over out lives doesn't it?

But the reason I am a call maker and not a custom call maker is that I make calls that please me.  If they please someone else, that is a bonus.

I am not a Custom Call Maker because I do not make calls for other people on request.  If I did, I would be spending hour upon hours making the same calls day after day for folks and while I am sure I would be making many of them happy, I would not be alowing myself the time to grow as a call maker, to try new things, develope new skills.

Master Call Maker?   I can't hold a candle to some of the guys I would consider Master Call Makers.  Unfortunately, I do not know of any predator call makers that are even close to approaching the level of Master Call Maker.  Of all of us, I think BradH and HuntNCarve have the best shots though.   

the biggest problem I see with call makers is that they seem to get stuck in a rut and never venture out to see what the rest of the call making world is doing.  I am afraid if some of them did, they would be humbled by the incredible work some call makers are putting out.

So how long before you can call yourself a custom call maker?  I think when you understand the mechanics of the calls you are making, and are willing to take orders for calls, and put your name on them, you can consider yourself a custom call maker.  That may take a year, or a week or a life time.   

In time, if you devote yourself to the art and craft of making calls, and produce a body of work that others appreciate as at the top of the field, you may end up with the title of Master Call Maker.  But it is something you will have to earn, not something you can just claim you are. 

For now I am satisfied to be a call maker and make calls that please me.  It may sound selfish, but I wold hate to have my passion turned into a job.

Al @ THO

« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 11:41:02 PM by Al_at_THO »

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 11:49:25 PM »
SERIOUS responses!  Great stuff gentlemen!   :o

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls