Author Topic: First try on two calls  (Read 4692 times)

Offline Rick@R-Squared

• New Forum Member
First try on two calls
« on: March 25, 2013, 10:33:57 AM »
The first call is from a piece of laminated beam scrap from a jobsite.  i used the tapered plastic mouthpiece and kinda blew it when trying to scrape out the MT2 taper.  so i bored out the end and put in a cherry plug to try again, this time with sandpaper and a dowel.  the fit is very nice, but that taper is tough to get.  The call sounds great, and after i finished it i noticed the tutorial on turning down the taper  :stickman1:

This one was my second attempt, this time with making my own mouthpiece.  The call body is some spalted something from an old palatte with a walnut mouthpiece.  Needs more work, the sound is not that great, so I'll be learning how to tune one out of several more attempts.   All comments welcome, i am always trying to improve my craft.

-Rick

Offline Mac Dietrich

• New Forum Member
    • McClain Dietrich Custom Game Calls
Re: First try on two calls
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 02:43:02 PM »
Very unique choice of woods with what ya had to work with I think they turned out just fine! Well done! :bigup:

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 03:31:04 PM »
Nice work on the cherry sleeve!

Vince
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline Jason at JTCCalls,

• New Forum Member
    • JTC Calls
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 03:54:11 PM »
If you are talking about the taper on the crow call.  What i was told to do, it take the guts and put them in a chuck and use the tailstock to hold it in place and turn guts until the taper is gone.

Jason

Offline Rick@R-Squared

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 08:47:42 PM »
Thanks Vince, was a nice fix for a mistake.  Actually made me feel better about the laminate not splitting with the cherry support.  May be something i try on future laminate pieces. 

You're right Jason.  I didn't notice the tutorial on turning down the MT until after i had worked the taper on the inside (quite a challenge).

Thanks Mac.  I have a ton of "junk" wood i like practicing on and they make great gifts.

-Rick

Offline LANEY REECE

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 11:11:08 PM »
NICE CALLS. :beer: