Author Topic: HAD A BLOWOUT  (Read 4113 times)

10x

HAD A BLOWOUT
« on: March 19, 2013, 04:29:52 PM »
YOU HAVE TO BE CAREFUL WITH CROSSCUT HEDGE. IT WAS A PRETTY PIECE OF WOOD. I GUESS IT IS  A LEARNING EXPERIENCE.

Offline FS Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
Re: HAD A BLOWOUT
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 07:52:26 PM »
Yep, just did one the same way.  Mine broke when I stuffed the guts in.  Cant bring myself to the gutsert yet.  Looks tacky to me.
Thor

Offline Joe aka COLD @ J. A. Kolter Calls

• New Forum Member
    • www.jakoltercalls.com
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 07:57:26 PM »
Yup, whoopsie.  Yoyu need to be careful with crosscut hedge.  I did the same thing last week with my first crosscut goose call exhaust piece.  I know why mine blew apart.  I simply was in a hurry and dug in deep with the spindle gouge.    :oops:
J. A. KOLTER CALLS
"Lifetime custom made hunting calls for a reasonable price".

Offline Mike Booth

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 08:50:22 PM »
Yep, just did one the same way.  Mine broke when I stuffed the guts in.  Cant bring myself to the gutsert yet.  Looks tacky to me.

I got some copper couplings from Lowes that are 5/8 I.D.. I insert them flush with the tennon so it's not as noticeable, but even then the copper looks nice. Better than the plastic, anyway.

Like this one, but 5/8.  http://www.lowes.com/pd_21720-137-CL600_0__?productId=3505106&Ntt=copper+coupling&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dcopper%2Bcoupling&facetInfo=
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 08:53:33 PM by Mike Booth »
Mike

Offline FS Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 09:20:38 PM »
Mike, I picked some slip couplings up a week ago.  Do the o ring grooves go to deep with a 7/ 8 tendon?   Been worried about that and have not tried it because of that.  Thanks.
Thor

Offline Cold Front Calls

• New Forum Member
  • "Hunt the Front"
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 10:17:43 PM »
yeppers Been there and DONE THAT!!!  Scrared the poo poo outa me the first time it happened thats for sure

Randy
"Hunt the Front"

Offline Mike Booth

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 10:41:07 PM »
Mike, I picked some slip couplings up a week ago.  Do the o ring grooves go to deep with a 7/ 8 tendon?   Been worried about that and have not tried it because of that.  Thanks.

I was nervous about that, too. I haven't had a problem with it, just gotta be careful cutting the grooves. I've only used them on 3 so far, but so far so good.
Mike

Brad Robinson

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 08:01:58 AM »
Blow ups just make my day. I was turning some corian the other day and i thought i needed to go a little deeper on that tennon groove, no sense in sharpening the parting tool ill just add a little more force. :hysterical: Lucky i had a face shield on cuz it blew up smacked my back board and then ricocheted into my face.

10x

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 04:36:05 PM »
Ya I said a few choice words and got my daughter all upset pound in the wall. I was  sanding the inside with a dowel and got a little lax and the dowel caught  . I tried a whistle on Saturday and didn't sharpen before I started. Big mistake. You are right, a little more pressure doesn't work!