Author Topic: 2013 Big Turkey Score and Pic's  (Read 5884 times)

Offline D. VanHelden

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
    • vanheldengamecalls.weebly.com
Re: 2013 Big Turkey Score and Pic's
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2013, 08:57:53 AM »
Going for my second bird this year I promised my son he would be along on every hunt.  I wanted to get out on Wednesday the first day of our season, wanting to take my son out of school and taking vacation to hunt all day but my son insisted he wanted to go to school   :taz:  Anyways we got out that afternoon but had no action, did a sneak but run and gun with a 9yr old on your heals sets limits.  Next time out was Friday morning before school  :whistling:  I decided to try a new place on the farm, going into it cold turkey but knowing the surrounding woodlots would hold at least 1 bird that hopefully we could draw over.  While we walked to the woodlot edge where I wanted to set up a noticed a rock wall bordering the edge preventing us from setting up right on the field edge.  We walked along until we ran out of woodlot and we bumped 2 deer.  The snorted across the woodlot but luckily for us shocked a gobble from the otherside ( or so I thought).  I found a low spot in the rock wall with a decent size tree to set up on giving me the ability to kneel and shoot over the top if needed.  We got set up decoys behind us in the field and waited and waited for about 2 minutes when the turkey started gobbling his head off.  I then found him roosted no more then 100yds away in plain sight.  I used my trumpet when the time was right to give that gargaly I just woke up hen yelp.  I few more soft yelps was all it took as he pitched down and gobbled and strutted right to us.  BANG!! and it was over. Could not have been easier and it unfolded all right before my son which was the best feeling.

The score sheet has the team form another forum.  But anyways this was my best of 2 birds this year.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 09:43:52 AM by D. VanHelden »

Offline D. VanHelden

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
    • vanheldengamecalls.weebly.com
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2013, 09:47:59 AM »

more pics.
I was conservative on the numbers as the spurs go 1 3/8 and 1 5/16 but I could not capture it on cam.  Wish I had a flexible tape at the time as I am sure they are longer yet around the curve.  I really need to do this :stuart:

Offline Gouldman

• THO Recommended Advertiser
  • Custom Call Maker
  • Goulds Custom Calls & Custom Bands
    • Gould's Custom Calls
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2013, 05:07:03 PM »
 :clap: Nice Bird Doug....
Of all the things I've lost while call making...its my mind I miss the most.
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.

Offline jcz

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
  • You want some??
    • Trophygamecalls
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2013, 07:22:03 AM »
Come on guys, I know that more of you have taken birds than we've got posted so far!  Get them posted before time expires.  Even if they're not a contender, post them anyway just to show them to everybody!

In the excitement of me and my daughter doubling on opening day I forgot all about this. Never even crossed my mind to take pics for the contest.  :oops:

Some great birds posted and congrats to all that were successful.
August Call Makers Throwdown Winner
http://www.trophygamecalls.embarqspace.com/