Author Topic: 2013 Big Turkey Score and Pic's  (Read 5883 times)

Offline Prairie Game Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • Custom Call Maker
    • Prairie Calls
2013 Big Turkey Score and Pic's
« on: March 06, 2013, 12:13:11 PM »
Please post your Photos and Measurements, and stories here.  :thanks:
Good Luck and Have a SAFE Season!!!! :hunter1:

Larry
July Winner Of the Call Makers Throw Down!!
Listed in Earl Mickels Last Book
Silver Life Member NWTF

Offline sharpshooter

• Custom Call Maker
Re: 2013 Big Turkey Score and Pic's
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 08:21:21 PM »
I got a good one this year! Got one last year but he was small and i forgot to enter him here. :stickman1:
I went down to south Texas to my grandpas place on the weekend of March 30th. Saw plenty and heard a few Friday but just couldn't get any to work. Saturday morning I had a pretty good idea where a big ole Tom was going to fly down with his hens so I snuck in extra early and sat under a thorny bush that was just a bit bigger than I am. At daylight Ole Tom started to gobble and about 10 minutes his hens started up. There was about six hens and two toms in the trees about 100 yds from me. Sure enough I was in the right place. Only it was too close to the place the turkeys wanted to be. The first hen just dropped right outta the tree onto the ground. The second hen flew past me about 40 yds to my left and landed behind me. Then the rest of the turkeys all flew down almost at the same time. First gobbler flew past me about 30 yds to my left and landed behind me and right behind him was a hen headed straight for me! :eek: I ducked and she saw me and swerved at the last minute and cut off the second gobbler that was right behind her, forcing him to drop on the ground about 20 yds from me and slightly behind me. When i turned and tried to get the gun on him he saw me and I shot. Only to miss. :stickman1: After that I chased about 3 different birds the rest of the morning and finally made it back to the camp about 1:30 pm. I was so bummed from the miss that I almost wasnt going to head back out till the next morning but about an hour before dark I decided to walk down to the creek bottom. I found me a nice comfortable mesquite tree to sit under. I had all intentions of just sitting there and roosting the birds for the next mornings hunt. As I sat there almost falling asleep, I hear a hen yelp. When I looked up I saw 2 hens walking right toward me and right behind them was Ole Tom. I just sat there and the hens kinda veered off but the tom kept coming and I was determined not to miss this time! At 15 yds I gave him a full load of Federal Turkey Load to the head.

Spurs, 1 5/8" and 1 11/16"
Beard, 8 1/2"
I think his beard shoulda been longer but my grandpa tells me they sometimes step on em or wear em down.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 11:09:01 PM by sharpshooter »
If I can see it I can hit it, If I can hit it I can kill it.

Offline sharpshooter

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 08:24:25 PM »
Here's the Pics!

Offline sharpshooter

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 08:33:46 PM »

And here's yours truly.

Offline brucker

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 12:49:47 PM »
Not as big as the rio I forgot to post, but a good bird for me! :2up:

-Brucker

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • Custom Call Maker
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 01:02:03 PM »
Brucker, I just want to know why you paint your fingernails? Does it help when turning?
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline Rick@R-Squared

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 02:36:42 PM »
You know, i was wondering the same thing Braz.  Is that the secret to a fine finish?

-Rick

Offline Mac Dietrich

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
    • McClain Dietrich Custom Game Calls
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 04:53:44 PM »
Lol that's funny right there I don't care who ya are!! :hysterical:

Offline brucker

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2013, 06:44:18 PM »
 :hysterical: that's so I don't run straight through my finger nail when I slip on the table sander.

Lol, no that was my wife holding it while I took the pics.
-Brucker

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • Custom Call Maker
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2013, 07:47:09 PM »
Come on man, we aren't that gullible!  :rofl:
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline Paul@OFCgamecalls

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 11:49:40 PM »
Here is an over view of the bird I was blessed with this morning. I have been trying for this bird the last three mornings. He was worth the wait! I had setup on this guy two mornings to have him strut just out of range and give the girls time to lead him off to the neighboring farm. He had become my nemesis. I went back to roost him only to have him fly up to roost a mere 60yards away. I waited until total darkness to head home knowing I had him pegged. After a sleepless night I slipped back to within 50 yards of him. He began his morning serenade as the previous days while I sat patiently waiting to make the first call. I made three soft tree yelps and he came unglued! He began strutting and drumming on the limb. A couple more tree yelps and he couldn't take it any longer. He flew down and immediately began strutting while walking straight to me. He took about five steps and stopped to look at the decoys placed just behind me. Another gobble and another three steps positioned him in front of my sights. I never moved my barrel. He stretched his neck to look at my lady friends for the last time. He began the flopping at 30yards in front of me. I don't think I have ever wanted a bird as bad as this one but now that its over; I wouldn't have minded waiting one more day. He was a worthy foe.                                    This bird had one whisker that was 12" but the rest were about a half inch shorter.                                  Spur #1 was 1-3/16"                                    Spur #2 was 1-3/16"                                  Here is the the bird and myself.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 06:09:29 PM by Paul@OFCgamecalls »

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Custom Call Maker
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2013, 05:54:30 PM »
Hunting with my friend Vince who works for Hevi Shot, I set up across a creek from this guy and his hens this morning.  He flew down on the other side of the creek and slowly moved away.  We crossed the creek to put a move on him an hour later, headed in the direction they all went and got sat down.  I called and he gobbled about 300 yards away in the timber....Across the creek, right where we were originally set up.  We had a "darn it" moment.  A few minutes later I called again and he gobbled on our side of the creek about 100 yards away at the edge of the field, just out of sight.  I was shocked that he crossed the creek.  I quit calling and let him come in.  He came into view in full strut, spitting and drumming.  I anchored him with a 2oz load of Hevi Shot magnum blend at 17 yards. 

My best turkey to date.  His spurs are exactly 1-1/4" each.  His beard is 11-1/16" long because of one strand.  His weight was darn good, at 24.46 pounds, and that's after he bled significantly (all over the back of my vest, my butt and the entire length of my legs).  I'm sure he was closer to 25 fully loaded!

I guess that's what they call a jelly head.  Hit him so hard he looks like a zombie turkey. 

« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 05:58:43 PM by Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks »

• Custom Call Maker
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2013, 06:00:29 PM »

My favorite.  They were in awe.

Offline Prairie Game Calls

• Custom Call Maker
    • Prairie Calls
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2013, 07:38:43 PM »
If you haven't done this already then you need to edit your post and write the measurements down for the spurs and beards. Thank you,

Larry
July Winner Of the Call Makers Throw Down!!
Listed in Earl Mickels Last Book
Silver Life Member NWTF

• Custom Call Maker
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2013, 01:08:07 AM »
Come on guys, I know that more of you have taken birds than we've got posted so far!  Get them posted before time expires.  Even if they're not a contender, post them anyway just to show them to everybody!