Author Topic: casting inserts  (Read 7553 times)

Offline Steel Rain Calls

• New Forum Member
    • Steel Rain Custom Calls
casting inserts
« on: February 20, 2013, 11:13:24 AM »
I wandered if someone has does this. I am trying to figure out a way to cast my inserts that I already have and that work. I would like to figure this out to save time on orders and so i make sure that i get them the same each time. It's just a thought and without using a CNC I don't really know if it is possible.
Custom made calls for the average hunter at a price you can count on.

Offline Brian at DDT Game Calls

• New Forum Member
Re: casting inserts
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 11:38:32 AM »
check out alumilite.com, just order some stuff and start playing, I just got some in and it is gonna be a new learning curve, there are no call making tuts on there but will give you and idea

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 01:01:22 PM »

The reason that a lot of people are not pour molding their own replica inserts is because of the fact that the resins shrink once they cure. You can't take a part, and make a mold based on it, and pour in the resin and expect to get the same exact dimensions on the molded part as the original. For those that know that one stroke of the file will ruin a duck call toneboard, they can see that all of these dimensional changes (smaller) on a pour molded part will not sound near the same as the original part.

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline Justin Hanson@ Dirty Dogs Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 07:41:26 PM »
It takes a lot of time and a substantial amount of money, skrinkage can be an issue. With the right materials and the right process you can be successful.

Brian is right, buy it and start playing with it. It is something that there is no one "right" way to do it. If I can find some time I may do a tutorial on it, just need to find the time.

Justin

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 11:36:42 PM »
The only toneboards that I have found that can be effectively cast time after time are Louisiana style boards.  Tried them all, I even had some professional resin casters try to make them.  The others were okay, but not great. 

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.