Author Topic: Hey Jester - or is it Just Plain Old Bob Now a Days LOL  (Read 15824 times)

Bonjour

Re: Hey Jester - or is it Just Plain Old Bob Now a Days LOL
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2008, 08:40:36 PM »
Hi all, finally made it over to this site.  I don't know why it took me so long. Guess I'm like some of you on there who are getting tired of posting pics and getting a couple responses from about 200 views and watching a few people get 2 or 3 pages worth of responses to a call that is just like the others that are posted and not replied to. By the way I finally got a new jig so I can become a little more than a barrel maker too Jester ;D ;D ;D. Glad to see some of you guys on here also.

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2008, 11:44:10 PM »
I sure agree with what you said about the views and not even any comments. Glad you are here.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline Bob from Eames Custom Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • Eames Custom Calls
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2008, 09:24:50 AM »
Hi all, finally made it over to this site.  I don't know why it took me so long. Guess I'm like some of you on there who are getting tired of posting pics and getting a couple responses from about 200 views and watching a few people get 2 or 3 pages worth of responses to a call that is just like the others that are posted and not replied to. By the way I finally got a new jig so I can become a little more than a barrel maker too Jester ;D ;D ;D. Glad to see some of you guys on here also.

I still buzz the other site, but It's nice to have another place to hang where they don't persecute you for learning with an aftermarket insert. It's funny, some of those guys won't even respond to my posts anymore. Tragic loss to the community ;D

Bob
My biggest fear is that I'll die and my wife will sell my callmaking supplies for what I told her they cost.....

Offline Curmudgeon

• New Forum Member
    • Tail Gunner Duck Calls
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2008, 09:53:55 AM »
I thought I was the only one blacklisted over there !

You healng up ? 

June 2009 Call Makers Throwdown Winner !

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2008, 10:40:50 AM »
You haven't seen snobbery until you get into the turkey trumpet section.  The duck guys are amateurs compared to the trumpet "gods".  Maybe I need to do a tutorial on converting an Echo to a open reed varmint call.  But then that might be sacrelegious, then I better not at least I am not a step child in the duck call section.

Marvin

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

• New Forum Member
  • Eames Custom Calls
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2008, 11:02:25 AM »
Maybe I need to do a tutorial on converting an Echo to a open reed varmint call.  But then that might be sacrelegious, then I better not at least I am not a step child in the duck call section.

Marvin

That right there is funny, I don't care who you are.  ;D

Cur,

Yea, it's healing, but I'm having the hardest time learning to type lefty ;D

Bob
My biggest fear is that I'll die and my wife will sell my callmaking supplies for what I told her they cost.....

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2008, 02:45:35 PM »
Oh if they ONLY knew -  but I ain't telling.

CCO is still a good site, and there are a ton of good folks over there.   Lots of new guys coming on board too.   I hope that they dont get stuffed to the door when they ask questions.

There was a guy on there a year ago who was making some nice looking calls.  Not great, not master class, but very nice calls.  Everytime they he asked something they whooped up on him in almost every forum.   Finally I sent a PM to one of the guys giving him a hard time, and told him the guy was 16 years old.  He quit coming around the site soon after that.  A shame to lose a young man with a lot of talent because some folks think too highly of themselves.

Anyway, I still like CCO.  I learned a lot there over the years, got into some heated battles there too, and learned a lot about some of the big names in the call making world.  Some are great guys, some are just different I guess.   

I had hopes that this site would be for ALL call makers, especially the new guys.  A place to give them a start.  I also wanted it to be a place where the "pro's" could hang out and help and if nothing more, provide inspiration to the new folks.  I think the call makers here are doing that.   If it ever gets out of hand, you just drop me a line and let me know we are messing up and I will do my best to get us back on track.  Till then, turn calls, call game, shoot, and have fun.  That's what it's all about anyway!

At least to me.

Al @ THO

• New Forum Member
  • Eames Custom Calls
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2008, 10:39:23 PM »
My biggest problem with the "Elite" of the CCO is my inability to watch them pick on a newbie. I guess I spent too many years protecting  our rights to see a bunch of dilrods pick on someone for the fun of it. There's some great guys over there, but some real a$$bags too. It's too bad, theres so much they could teach alot of us. Oh well, Keep swingin!

Bob

Offline Walls Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2008, 11:04:48 PM »

"PRO'S"  Too funny AL, Don't let them see you called anyone that. Its a bad word, shame on you.

Thanks for starting a place for the rest of us to speak freely, Al.

CW

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2008, 09:11:57 AM »
Ah they can't beat me up anymore than they did about 4 or 5 years ago.  I asked about tumbling acrylic to polish it.  Man, you would have thought I said something about someones mother - sheesh - anyway, I know there is one "big time" call maker that does it and he was really rude that I even mentioned it.  National Security and all I guess.  They about ran me right out of the duck call forum LOL.

It's how they polish opticle lenses so I know it can be done.  I will figure it out one day - maybe - and when I do, I will post it just to piss him off :)

AL @ THO

• New Forum Member
  • Eames Custom Calls
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2008, 09:23:53 AM »
Heck when you figure it out, Let us know and we'll ALL post it ;D Mabey he'll jump from a tall building ;D

Bob

Offline Curmudgeon

• New Forum Member
    • Tail Gunner Duck Calls
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2008, 11:22:14 AM »
I still lurk over there, probably always will. You have to be honest and admit some of those guys really know their stuff and some great advice occasionlay surfaces in the post. I doubt I'll ever post up over there again however, just too much of a "good old boys" club to me. That site is pretty much closed to new folks anyway, now I see why the regulars think it's a private club. I respect what they know, but if they think being able to make a toneboard is a god given ability (actual post!) then I got news for em, it ain't.  In some ways it seams to me, that some of the very best call makers over there are also some of the most insecure. Weird.

To each his own.... :D

Oh Yea, thanks Bob, for sticking up for the newbies over there, I know I sure did appreciate it !
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 02:39:54 PM by Curmudgeon »
June 2009 Call Makers Throwdown Winner !

• New Forum Member
  • Eames Custom Calls
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2008, 01:11:27 PM »
Anytime ;)

Bob

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2008, 10:22:55 PM »
Like Curmudgeon just said, I lurk over there becasue there is good info to be gained. About the only post I make over there is to answer someones question. I rarely post any kind of an opinion on anything.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline John_NY

• New Forum Member
  • I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy
    • J.B. Calls
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2008, 05:39:24 PM »
Well I had to go take a look at cco. I tried to register but it said it was disabled. I think I'd rather be here anyway. Maybe they don't want any new guys with dumb questions. I hope someday I'll be able to actually answer a question.

John

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

JB Custom Calls