Author Topic: Hey Jester - or is it Just Plain Old Bob Now a Days LOL  (Read 15822 times)

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
Hey Jester - or is it Just Plain Old Bob Now a Days LOL
« on: March 17, 2008, 03:55:33 PM »
You were getting pretty beat up over on CCO -

Funny thing happened while I was reading that thread though.

Seems a few of the guys with the BIG STICKS don't want to mention that they have no problem asking me to make tone boards for their Predator Calls - you know, the ones they sell at shows and call Custom Predator Calls?

Funny how life works sometimes isn't it LOL

Al @ THO

Offline Bob from Eames Custom Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • Eames Custom Calls
Re: Hey Jester - or is it Just Plain Old Bob Now a Days LOL
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 11:23:38 PM »
Yea, but I think I was holdin' my own. I just can't take someone beating on a newbie. They can all get high and mighty, but we all bleed the same color where I'm from. I noticed they sure got quiet when they started talking about goose gut sets being the same as plastic inserts. Doesn't suprise me that they are using your guts for other things, I always stick with what works the best - LOL ;D

Thanks for the support Al, I'll be ordering some crow guts when you get your wood up on the site. I got my taxes back and it's about time to stock up. ;D

Bob
My biggest fear is that I'll die and my wife will sell my callmaking supplies for what I told her they cost.....

Offline Walls Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 12:55:07 AM »
I really hate when that happens over there.  Once or twice a year someone asks a simple question about something like gut sets, and all hell breaks loose.  That whole little section of Good ol Boys,  slap each other on the back and 25 of them post how nice a call looks but if someone new has a little question about finishes or mecanics they don't get any replies out of 200 views.  I get a kick out of how once a they realized on of their own was using them they all backpedle and like one of them replied to a  post "the smillies didn't work" ???.

CW

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 10:23:04 PM »
Sounds like my experiences over there posting in the duck and goose call sections!   ;D  FUNNY......the BROKE JOKE LAME PLASTIC PART calls I make still kill a ton of birds!   :P

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

• New Forum Member
  • Eames Custom Calls
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 10:51:26 AM »
Parker,

It always seems that those kind of people would rather use a call that is home made and not as good, than see anyone use something that is really good, but plastic. I don't get down on anyone for doing thier own thing, but I do encourage everyone to find thier own sound. I ran echo's for a year until I started to figure toneboards out. I still don't know if I can make a toneboard sound even as good as an echo, but there is a certain satisfaction when you get one that actually sounds like a duck :) I'm by no means a great one to learn from, but anyone who has questions on building a toneboard and is afraid to ask, holler at me. The two things that will kill callmaking is secrecy and an unwillingness to help, so ask questions and always challenge yourself to build a better call. Let me know if I can help.

Bob
My biggest fear is that I'll die and my wife will sell my callmaking supplies for what I told her they cost.....

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 11:06:16 AM »
Bob, very well said. There are some other reasons some folks may not want to venture down the path of making their own tone boards. It is one that keeps me from doing so. It is one of hearing. I must wear hearing aids in both ears just to hear much at all. It is very difficult for me to hear the subtle differences in tones. Hence, I find it better to use tone boards made by someone who makes a good one, who is known to make a good one, and a tone board that my clients seem to like very much. In that regard, I am going to give the Echo tone boards a try this summer. I have not made many duck calls and would like to make some for those that request them. I think the Echo may be the answer for me.

This is just another opinion in the ongoing drama of should you use your own or buy a premade tone board. (Applies to predator calls and duck/goose calls alike.)  ;D
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 11:40:21 AM »
Braz -

when it comes to molded tone boards - any kind - the key is always DOES IT WORK and if not, can YOU MAKE IT WORK for your customer.

The saddest thing is when a guy who is not, has never been and probably has no intention of being a caller or a hunter of what he going to make calls for uses one of these tone boards and sells them to people. 

I have seen several dozen, probably more, people who make other kinds of calls want tone boards to make predator calls because guys were asking for them and they figured they could make a quick buck.  A few of the people in that thread are in that boat!

If you are a predator hunter, or a duck hunter, and you want to use molded tone boards to make calls with, then go for it.  I see nothing wrong with it.  But if you are a pen maker today, and buy some molded toneboards tomorrow, you are not a call maker by the weekend.

In one sense, I can see the watering down of the hobby by people like this.  A customer gets a call from a "custom" call maker and the calls just does not work!  Then the next time he wants a new call, he goes to Cabelas and the real call makers lose.

That I think is the crux of the issue.

AL @ THO

• New Forum Member
  • Eames Custom Calls
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 01:06:07 PM »
Braz,

If ya have trouble hearing and want something that works well, use the Echo, or the Buck Gardner double reeds.Both work well for duck calls and are reasonably priced. Don't get me wrong, I'm not pushing anyone into making thier own, just trying to offer support if someone wants to try it. Any call your happy with in the end is the right one for you.

Bob

Offline Braz

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 04:01:10 PM »
I've made a few from the inserts that Al sells on his site, and I think they worked out well for the folks that bought them. But those Echo inserts just LOOK great, so wanted to try some. They are downright pretty, and now I have some acrylic from Al too, so that gives me a great reason to try an acrylic duck call.  ;D
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 04:52:34 PM »
  But if you are a pen maker today, and buy some molded toneboards tomorrow, you are not a call maker by the weekend.

AL @ THO

:D  SAY IT AIN'T SO!   :-*  HAHAHAHA!

Parker

VECtor Custom Calls

Offline HaMeR

• New Forum Member
    • brightwoodturnings
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 05:42:37 PM »
But if you are a pen maker today, and buy some molded toneboards tomorrow, you are not a call maker by the weekend.

Just when I thought I was showing some promise too!!  ;D ;D

I do agree tho. Knowing what it SHOULD sound like is important.  8)
RIP Russ,Blaine,& Darrell!!

Glen

2014-15TBC-- 11

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2008, 08:41:10 PM »
OK, dont get me wrong here.   Hunters are a completely different story than a guy who has never called game and goes out and buys the parts to make a call so he can make a quick buck.

If you are a hunter, you know what works and what doesn't and you will tinker with it until you get it right.  And that's someome I would buy a call from.

It does not matter what you put in a call if as long as you make it sound good and it does it's job in the field.

If you go to a show and there are 100 call makers there, and 99 of them make their own tone boards and inserts and you use molded ones, if yours sound better than everyone elses, you will sell a boat load of calls.

This stuff really only matters to other call makers and some collectors.  Huntes don't care.  They have a limited time to hunt and when they go out they want stuff that works.  You mark my words, but if you make a call with someone elses inset and the call does not do it's job, the hutner is not going to bad mouth the insert, he is going to slam the call maker.

But even that is not entirely fair to the insert.   I remember a post a few months back where a caller came into a forum and wanted to buy some tone boards for a bunch of predator calls he had.  He said the tone boards in them just did not work and he would never buy another call with one of those cheap tone baords in it.

But think about it, if a hunter had built that call, he would have worked on the tone boards to make them sound right, and work the way he knew they should. 

But they were made by guys who know nothing about calling or calls, just to get in on the money end of it.  Now the guys using that tone board who know what they are doing are screwed.  They will never sell one of their calls to this guy no matter how good it is because he thinks the tone baords are junk. 

I brought this up in another thread on this forum, but it is one of the reasons I think call makers should put sound files up with their calls.   First, if the call maker can't run the call, he can't make the call, and second, if the call sounds like crap, and you buy it anyway, that's on you.

Sometimes we call makers are our own worst enimies.  Here's a good expample from a call maker who at the time was just getting his start and has come a long ways since this but....

he goes into a forum and post a call for sale.

People seem interested and someone fimally ask, How does it sound?

The call maker replied, I have no idea because I never played one before.  I have no idea how it is supposed to sound.

This really happened - and you can see why it makes us look bad as cal makers.

It's one of the big reasons I stopped selling crow calls.  90% of people who buy them have no idea how to use them, and it causes problems. 

Another good one is I sent a call to a guy and he sent it back and said he couldn't get the high pitches he wanted out of the call, it just wasn't high pitched enough for him.   I took that call out with a buddy of mine and blew it on a stand.  I didn't say a word to him about the call or what happened and I had made no changes to it other than to wash it off under hot water.

My buddy came over after the stand and said, Man that is one high pitched call.

Which brings me to my last pont.  A lot of people buy calls from new call makers and then tell everyone how great the call sounds, how easy it is to play ad how good it is blah blah blah.  But when you ask the caller how many calls he has used, or how long he has been calling, he says this is his first call.   

I say post a sound file.  If you do, and the call sounds great, it wont matter to the guy who only has one day a week to hunt and only a few hours at that, he is gong to buy that call because he knows it will call game and that is why he is out there.

Call builders put calls together, call makers make them work.  And I will say it again and again and again, it doesn't matter what is in that call if it works because that and that alone is the bottom line.

Al @ THO
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 08:45:01 PM by Al_at_THO »

Offline Braz

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2008, 11:18:49 PM »
Al, you keep popping up with these gems. Great post. Lots of meat in it for all of us to chew on.
Braz

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2008, 11:43:01 PM »
 :o  Whew!  Your fingers have GOT to be tired of typing Al!   ;D

You guys are way more serious about this stuff than I am.  I out to sell to hunters, not call makers.  Sound and ease of use is where its at in my world.  I hope that's not a bad thing.

Parker

VECtor Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
  • Eames Custom Calls
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2008, 10:40:56 AM »
I am a firm believer in building something that you are happy with before you ever sell it to someone else. If you can run it well, and you are happy with it, whoever buys it will be happy with it as well.

Bob